Canon Claiming a $2500 Camcorder is for Consumers

DavePlays

The original article: https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/canon-camcorders-vixia-gx10-xf400-xf405/

It's something that has bugged me for quite a while. Up until today, Canon was the only camera manufacturer that refused to give consumers a 4K camcorder. Considering that it's 2017, I think a 4K camcorder from Canon was LONG overdue. 

Examples from other manufactures include the Sony FDR-AX100 or Rx100 Mk 5, the Panasonic HC-WXF991K, and the JVC GY-HM 170UA. All of these are relatively affordable options for consumers/prosumers that all offer 4K recording to cheap SDXC cards. In order of price (lowest to highest):
  • Panasonic HC-WXF991K ($899)
  • Sony RX100 Mk 5 ($999)
  • JVC GY-HM 170UA ($1250)
  • Sony FDR-AX100 ($1599)

Keep in mind that these are all camcorder-style cameras (except the RX100, which is a point-and-shoot photography camera that can shoot video).

Up until now, Canon has refused to give us an "affordable" 4K camcorder. Here's Canon's lineup from the last couple of years:
  • VIXIA HF G20 ($899)
  • VIXIA HF G40 ($1099)
  • XA 30 ($1599)
  • XC 10 ($1999) - This was Canon's cheapest 4K camcorder until today.
  • XF 100 ($1999)

With the exception of the XC10, all of these camcorders are HD only, meaning their maximum resolution is 1920x1080. 

But today, Canon dropped 3 new camcorders - the VIXIA GX10, the XF400 and the XF405. All three of these camcorders are 4K capable and record to SDXC cards. Take a look at some pictures:

canongx10_orig.jpg
VIXIA GX10

canongx10.jpg
canon-xf400-front.jpg
xf405-micholder-handle-d.jpg

Visually, they look beautiful. Modern, refined, and clean. A nice step forward from their older "rounded" look. It's also nice to see a more robust shock mount for shotgun microphones on the top handles.

So how much is Canon asking for these? A LOT.
  • VIXIA GX10:  $2499
  • XF400: $2999
  • XF405: $3499

A consumer camera... at $2500?! WHAT?! I feel like Canon is turning into the Apple of camcorders.

We'll have to wait and see how they perform before we can take a swing at Canon for extortion. But as of right now, the prices seem a bit steep for what these camcorders are.

I'd like to hear Brandon's input here...

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

Yes, I, a typical working middle-class citizen, will spend $2500 on a camcorder when my iPhone is considerably more convenient and massively more cost effective. 9_9

What the hell was Canon thinking when even the one Handycam costs something like a grand and that's STILL stupid for a normal consumer...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

@DavePlays

Your post does not meet the requirements for posting. 

Please update to reflect the guidelines for this section.

What is missing;

• add quotes in quote boxes from the source material.

Please review;

Thanks

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'd argue that you average consumer doesn't need 4k60 video recording. If you want the luxury, then you'll pay the price for it. It's the same with any emerging tech. As you said yourself, there's no other 4k video recorders. We pay $2,500 for a gaming PC. That's considered ludicrous to a lot of people. I'm sure there are those that would consider that pricing to be fair for a video recorder.

27 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Yes, I, a typical working middle-class citizen, will spend $2500 on a camcorder when my iPhone is considerably more convenient and massively more cost effective. 9_9

What the hell was Canon thinking when even the one Handycam costs something like a grand and that's STILL stupid for a normal consumer...

Most would say the same about gaming computers ;) I'm pretty sure Canon prices its products in a way in which they know they'll sell.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Wut? If I have that amount of money to spend for a camera, I'd rather get the Sony A7SII.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Canon usually adds in manual stuff the others cannot do.... although I'm not looking at every camcorder and every spec but things you want are manual shooting modes with the ability to still use auto-focus. Something like the older Canon GL2, which was awesome at the time, which was Prosumor as well. Most Sony camcorders really don't have good manual modes. Most of them are point and shoot which is not what you want with such a high quality camera. White balance/exposure/aperture/ all that stuff needs to be manual.

I have the Sony A58K which is a entry level DSLR but it also shoots video in 1080 24p not 60 fps. Doesn't matter to me but the HUGE drawback is that in full manual mode it will not use auto-focus and it has a great auto focus system, which is a shame. I have shot with it quite a bit to know the drawbacks. You certainly need something in the realm of a great DSLR but with a top notch auto focus.... you could use your hand to focus it but yikes... that gets tedious. The problem with DSLR cameras is they are limited to shooting video segments to certain minutes, I believe 9 min max until it splits files. They also tend to overheat shooting video non stop unlike Camcorders.

1 hour ago, DavePlays said:

The original article: https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/canon-camcorders-vixia-gx10-xf400-xf405/

It's something that has bugged me for quite a while. Up until today, Canon was the only camera manufacturer that refused to give consumers a 4K camcorder. Considering that it's 2017, I think a 4K camcorder from Canon was LONG overdue. 

Examples from other manufactures include the Sony FDR-AX100 or Rx100 Mk 5, the Panasonic HC-WXF991K, and the JVC GY-HM 170UA. All of these are relatively affordable options for consumers/prosumers that all offer 4K recording to cheap SDXC cards. In order of price (lowest to highest):
  • Panasonic HC-WXF991K ($899)
  • Sony RX100 Mk 5 ($999)
  • JVC GY-HM 170UA ($1250)
  • Sony FDR-AX100 ($1599)

Keep in mind that these are all camcorder-style cameras (except the RX100, which is a point-and-shoot photography camera that can shoot video).

Up until now, Canon has refused to give us an "affordable" 4K camcorder. Here's Canon's lineup from the last couple of years:
  • VIXIA HF G20 ($899)
  • VIXIA HF G40 ($1099)
  • XA 30 ($1599)
  • XC 10 ($1999) - This was Canon's cheapest 4K camcorder until today.
  • XF 100 ($1999)

With the exception of the XC10, all of these camcorders are HD only, meaning their maximum resolution is 1920x1080. 

But today, Canon dropped 3 new camcorders - the VIXIA GX10, the XF400 and the XF405. All three of these camcorders are 4K capable and record to SDXC cards. Take a look at some pictures:

canongx10_orig.jpg
VIXIA GX10

canongx10.jpg
canon-xf400-front.jpg
xf405-micholder-handle-d.jpg

Visually, they look beautiful. Modern, refined, and clean. A nice step forward from their older "rounded" look. It's also nice to see a more robust shock mount for shotgun microphones on the top handles.

So how much is Canon asking for these? A LOT.
  • VIXIA GX10:  $2499
  • XF400: $2999
  • XF405: $3499

A consumer camera... at $2500?! WHAT?! I feel like Canon is turning into the Apple of camcorders.

We'll have to wait and see how they perform before we can take a swing at Canon for extortion. But as of right now, the prices seem a bit steep for what these camcorders are.

I'd like to hear Brandon's input here...

Hey, if you compare to the million dollar cameras they use for movies (they will only rent you them) then these are very cheap indeed?

I've used quite a few Canon cameras (My Eos5MKIII is still my go-to DSLR) The prices for these are not unreasonable. If anyone thinks that phone camera lenses and sensors are as good as these needs there head read. Camera lesson 101 is bigger lens + bigger sensor = more light on the sensor/film gives a better quality image. Case in point I can put on a 50mm lens on a camera with an APS-C sensor and put the same lens on my 35mm Full frame sensor I can get closer thus get more detail for the same frame shot. Phone cameras are great for social broadcasting but will never cut it for enthusiast/prosumer broadcast. You can ask Brandon but I think he will agree with what I have said. 

8 hours ago, dizmo said:

Most would say the same about gaming computers ;) I'm pretty sure Canon prices its products in a way in which they know they'll sell.

Only Canon fanboys or complete tools will buy this considering you can get considerably more capable "normal" cameras for the same amount of dough.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

8 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

...People buy camcorders in 2017???

Yes just not at this ridiculous price tag Canon decided to slap in... what is it trying to do? become the new Kodak?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

people just use their phones now

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

8 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Only Canon fanboys or complete tools will buy this considering you can get considerably more capable "normal" cameras for the same amount of dough.

IIRC camcorders can record for a significantly longer time non stop than a DSLR can.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

16 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Wut? If I have that amount of money to spend for a camera, I'd rather get the Sony A7SII.

The big difference, the a7s ii only records for up to 29 minutes. The camcorder shouldn't have a limit.

Some more info on this: http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/06/27/encounter-eurocracy-digital-cameras-30-minute-video-recording-limit/

The only brand that I've found that doesn't do the recording limit BS on cameras in the US is Panasonic.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

IIRC camcorders can record for a significantly longer time non stop than a DSLR can.

No joke, for tax purposes, DSLRs cap out at 29mins and 59 seconds.  If they can record longer than that, they're classified differently and are taxed more in Europe.

So, this all said, looking at the Canon camera and it does seem to be worth the price.  While most on this forum likely don't understand a camera's specs beyond resolution, the Canon looks to be more in the bottom rung of 'Prosumer' territory.

That said, frankly, I'm baffled as to anyone would buy a consumer camcorder to start with outside of a narrow range of special applications.  If you want to record your kids childhood memories, first steps, the dog doing something silly, Christmas present unwrapping, your phone can get the job done.  Also your phone is usually at arms reach at most times so it's easy to catch things that happen suddenly.

On the other hand if you want to experiment with filming stuff?  Get a DSLR.  Camcorders have HUGE limitations in terms of their lenses, sensor size and stuff like that.  Meanwhile any consumer Canon DSLR and the 50mm f/1.8 can get you pretty 'film' like looks for well under $1000.

There's a number of ways one could go for 'amature content creation' really, but a consumer targeted camcorder?  I just don't get it.  It's like how I don't get why people buy 'Point and Shoot' cameras anymore.  Use your phone or get a consumer DSLR.  There's really no need for a middle ground between those two.

10 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

No joke, for tax purposes, DSLRs cap out at 29mins and 59 seconds.  If they can record longer than that, they're classified differently and are taxed more in Europe.

-snip-

There's a number of ways one could go for 'amature content creation' really, but a consumer targeted camcorder?  I just don't get it.  It's like how I don't get why people buy 'Point and Shoot' cameras anymore.  Use your phone or get a consumer DSLR.  There's really no need for a middle ground between those two.

Ahhh that makes perfect sense. I figured there had to be some kind of reasoning to it, though the GH4 (maybe 5?) can do 110 minutes or something.

Point and shoot cameras have their place but they're market is rapidly shrinking. My parents find it easier to use a point and shoot camera to take pictures of their grand kids. They didn't until recently have phones, and there's no way they'd ever want a DSLR. I used higher end point and shoot cameras for product shots. A phone camera can't focus close enough to capture certain aspects, and I had no need for a DSLR. I had a pocket camera for vacations where I didn't want to take my phone, and one of the tougher Olympus cameras for when I'd go riding. DSLR too bulky, didn't want to risk destroying my phone when I inevitably nailed a tree or slid down a cliff.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

$2500 camcorder or $2500 Celica that's beat up? 

Easy choice. 

Spoiler

It's the Celica. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Well yeah, but most people probably won't hit that ceiling.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

3 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Well yeah, but most people probably won't hit that ceiling.

I can imagine some 'classic' cases of camcorder use but that's about it.  Like if you're shooting a family event such as a wedding or graduation or something, you may let that camera run for some time.   And those are certianly cases where one would want more than their phone for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

first problem is buying a celica

They're fairly popular down here. I've got myself the '99 GT convertible. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

They're fairly popular down here. I've got myself the '99 GT convertible. 

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't think Celicas are bad, but just I see them a lot like how Miatas and Mustangs are here.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I mean don't get me wrong, I don't think Celicas are bad, but just I see them a lot like how Miatas and Mustangs are here.

Is there a problem with them in your area? Or do you think they're over-rated?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler