Problem with ryzen 5 1600 overclocking and voltages

Hello all,聽

A couple months ago i bought myself a r5 1600. When I checked the bios i noticed that the base voltage was teally high (1.387 or something in that direction). But i just left it like that (also it was set at 3.5 ghz). Today I wanted to try overclocking. I read some guides and changed 3 things in the bios: The clock multiplier ( if its called that) to 36.00 from 35.00, the voltage from 1.387 to 1.35, because i read that somewhere between 1.3 and 1.4 was fine. also i changed the ram speed to 2400 mhz from 2133 (i have 3200 mhz ram but it was set at 2133) without changing voltage (1.2 volt). It tried to boot the pc but it couldnt. It showed that the oc failed, and I went into the bios, where now the voltage was set at 1.23 volts, but the cpu itself was still actually running at 1.387 to 1.4. When i then started the pc at the reset settings, it showed cpu voltage of 1.387 fluctuating up to 1.45 and 1.48 volts. Is this dangerous and how do I fix it?

mobo? Clear CMOS and run load in windows, watch voltages in CPU-Z or HWInfo64 and then report bacc. Stock should be around 1.2V

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

8 minutes ago, Rifllix said:

Hello all,聽

A couple months ago i bought myself a r5 1600. When I checked the bios i noticed that the base voltage was teally high (1.387 or something in that direction). But i just left it like that (also it was set at 3.5 ghz). Today I wanted to try overclocking. I read some guides and changed 3 things in the bios: The clock multiplier ( if its called that) to 36.00 from 35.00, the voltage from 1.387 to 1.35, because i read that somewhere between 1.3 and 1.4 was fine. also i changed the ram speed to 2400 mhz from 2133 (i have 3200 mhz ram but it was set at 2133) without changing voltage (1.2 volt). It tried to boot the pc but it couldnt. It showed that the oc failed, and I went into the bios, where now the voltage was set at 1.23 volts, but the cpu itself was still actually running at 1.387 to 1.4. When i then started the pc at the reset settings, it showed cpu voltage of 1.387 fluctuating up to 1.45 and 1.48 volts. Is this dangerous and how do I fix it?

i have the same cpu and it came with stock speed of 3.2ghz and 1.24v you should send it back

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 1600 OC 3,7ghz
  • Motherboard
    ASrock AB350 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM
    A-Data 2666mhz upgraded to Corsair LPX 2x8gb 3000mhz
  • GPU
    GTX 1060 6gb
  • Case
    Segotep Chariot TF
  • Storage
    1TB HDD, 240gb M.2 Intel NVMe SSD
  • PSU
    Evga 600w B+
  • Display(s)
    Samsung Full HD 24' Free sync
  • Cooling
    3x 120mm case fans
  • Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2
  • Mouse
    Razer DeathAdder Elite
  • Sound
    Razer Kraken Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, dave_k said:

mobo? Clear CMOS and run load in windows, watch voltages in CPU-Z or HWInfo64 and then report bacc. Stock should be around 1.2V

Hey, I'm fairly inexperienced in the oc/modifying chapter, what is CMOS? also, Im kinda scares to start the computer, since I dont want to damage the cpu witb such high voltages. What do you mean by run load?

few questions and suggestions.

1: Whats your motherboard?

2: Are you running the latest bios?

3. Is your ram on your motherboards approved list?聽

4. Try setting voltage to 1.35v, core clock to 3.7ghz. Set Your Ram to 2800 at its rated voltage (probs 1.35v)

5 minutes ago, TheOriginalHero said:

few questions and suggestions.

1: Whats your motherboard?

2: Are you running the latest bios?

3. Is your ram on your motherboards approved list?聽

4. Try setting voltage to 1.35v, core clock to 3.7ghz. Set Your Ram to 2800 at its rated voltage (probs 1.35v)

Hey, sorry for late response. I have an asus b350M, and Im running bios version 2.17.1246 i believe, I dont know if its the newest bios version, but i dont really want to start my pc before i know if ill damage anything. I have corsair vengeance ram 8gb (2x4) 3200mhz. It's actual product number isnt on the list, but a lot of similair versions are.

The thing is, the last time i tried setting it to 1.35 volts and 3.6 ghzthe oc didnt go through and now its voltage is even higher then before. Im also scared if i boost the voltage because the bios displays the voltage should be set at 1.23, but the cpu runs at 1.387 to 1.45. Im scared that it will ad the extra voltage to the latter number.

1 hour ago, Rifllix said:

Hey, sorry for late response. I have an asus b350M, and Im running bios version 2.17.1246 i believe, I dont know if its the newest bios version, but i dont really want to start my pc before i know if ill damage anything. I have corsair vengeance ram 8gb (2x4) 3200mhz. It's actual product number isnt on the list, but a lot of similair versions are.

The thing is, the last time i tried setting it to 1.35 volts and 3.6 ghzthe oc didnt go through and now its voltage is even higher then before. Im also scared if i boost the voltage because the bios displays the voltage should be set at 1.23, but the cpu runs at 1.387 to 1.45. Im scared that it will ad the extra voltage to the latter number.

alright first off. Clear your CMOS. Look at your motherboard manual. There should be a CMOS header marked on it. connect the 2 pins by touching them with a screwdriver (or anything metal). Make sure to only be touching those 2 pins and nothing else on the board. Hold it there for about 10 seconds. Then start your pc. Clearing cmos just resets all settings to default so theres no fear of your pc being damaged after doing it.

Then update your board to the latest bios if u havent already.

When you say your pc didnt start may i ask what it did? Did it try to boot itself multiple times?

Hey, I'm fairly inexperienced in the oc/modifying chapter, what is CMOS? also, Im kinda scares to start the computer, since I dont want to damage the cpu witb such high voltages. What do you mean by run load?

You dont know those terms? You shouldn't be touching any OC settings.

14 minutes ago, dave_k said:

You dont know those terms? You shouldn't be touching any OC settings.

I couldn't agree more.

A couple months ago i bought myself a r5 1600. When I checked the bios i noticed that the base voltage was teally high (1.387 or something in that direction). But i just left it like that (also it was set at 3.5 ghz). Today I wanted to try overclocking.

If you're on stock settings, your CPU will automatically boost the frequency from it's stock 3.2GHz to 3.4GHz (all cores) to 3.6 (three cores), and 3.7GHz due to XFR (one core). Your auto voltage will increase to handle this performance boost. This will only happen if your temperatures are low enough. So you're perfectly fine. Until you spend time researching and doing your homework, and feel comfortable with overclocking and raising voltages and terms like LLC, CMOS, SOC Voltage don't frighten you, you shouldn't be messing with your bios.

CPU:聽Ryzen 5 5600x聽聽Board: Asus PRIME X570-P聽 Ram:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000 聽Case:聽Fractal Design Define S

GPU:聽NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 聽SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME 聽HDD:聽Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU:聽SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W 聽Cooler:聽Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 聽Monitor:聽Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

12 hours ago, TheOriginalHero said:

alright first off. Clear your CMOS. Look at your motherboard manual. There should be a CMOS header marked on it. connect the 2 pins by touching them with a screwdriver (or anything metal). Make sure to only be touching those 2 pins and nothing else on the board. Hold it there for about 10 seconds. Then start your pc. Clearing cmos just resets all settings to default so theres no fear of your pc being damaged after doing it.

Then update your board to the latest bios if u havent already.

When you say your pc didnt start may i ask what it did? Did it try to boot itself multiple times?

Yeah, it tried to boot a couple times, and after i pressed my power button for a little while it booted and said the oc has failed. Update: I enabled OC tuner and now it atleast stabilised to 1.36 /1.37聽 again

3 minutes ago, Rifllix said:

Yeah, it tried to boot a couple times, and after i pressed my power button for a little while it booted and said the oc has failed. Update: I enabled OC tuner and now it atleast stabilised to 1.36 /1.37聽 again

Dont聽use any preloaded OC garbage and dont overclock if you dont know basic PC terms.