South Park Fractured But Whole

Huh?  the reviews for SP FBW look pretty good,  solid 8+ from most review sites.

Just now, ThomasPham said:

Huh?  the reviews for SP FBW look pretty good,  solid 8+ from most review sites.

was looking at steam :) That's good, I was afraid that it's horrible

4 minutes ago, johnjohns111 said:

I've always believed in taking steam reviews with a heavy, heavy, heavy grain of salt.  People on there will negatively write a review for anything like my potato can't run this game, its the developers fault!  I generally trust kotaku or metacritic

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/south-park-the-fractured-but-whole

Although this is for the ps4 version, you can check the PC version on the same page.

Oh another of my favorites is when people review early access / alpha titles because of bugs -- that always cracks me up.

1 minute ago, ThomasPham said:

I've always believed in taking steam reviews with a heavy, heavy, heavy grain of salt.  People on there will negatively write a review for anything like my potato can't run this game, its the developers fault!  I generally trust kotaku or metacritic

Although this is for the ps4 version, you can check the PC version on the same page.

Yeah, it's true, but I'm also careful with critic sites I think that publishers are paying them. Thanks for Metacritic, looks like it's user-generated score

6 minutes ago, johnjohns111 said:

Reviews are not so good for now, looks like this part is fail. Have you tried it?

i havent bothered with reading reviews yet, but from watching a few livestream playtroughs i can guess where the negative reviews come from, and why i wont give a shit:

the game isnt a "version 2" of the first game, in the same style. it's a completely different experience, set in the same "south park" map, with some appropriate changes. the storyline is like what only south park could think of, and as to be expected from ubishit the game is still full of funky bugs. expect an amazing dose of social critique, endless references both obvious and subtile, and another "what the hell even" behind every door.

3 minutes ago, ThomasPham said:

Oh another of my favorites is when people review early access / alpha titles because of bugs -- that always cracks me up.

a steam review is a player's opinion, not a review on which to base your decision. however if large numbers of people report the same *actual* issues (for example: "evel 5 contains a savegame breaking bug", but not "they dont have mod support, dislike") they can be a valuable metric.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i havent bothered with reading reviews yet, but from watching a few livestream playtroughs i can guess where the negative reviews come from, and why i wont give a shit:

the game isnt a "version 2" of the first game, in the same style. it's a completely different experience, set in the same "south park" map, with some appropriate changes. the storyline is like what only south park could think of, and as to be expected from ubishit the game is still full of funky bugs. expect an amazing dose of social critique, endless references both obvious and subtile, and another "what the hell even" behind every door.

Glad to hear this. And because of the bugs i will hold of buying it till i see a few patches, did the same with the first one.

Steam needs to fix their review system, and not make someone looking at them jump through hoops to see the "real" score.

10 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Steam needs to fix their review system, and not make someone looking at them jump through hoops to see the "real" score.

thats the issue with user reviews, its either this or just an endless list of opinions.

16 minutes ago, manikyath said:

a steam review is a player's opinion, not a review on which to base your decision. however if large numbers of people report the same *actual* issues (for example: "evel 5 contains a savegame breaking bug", but not "they dont have mod support, dislike") they can be a valuable metric.

Which is a very good and valid point -- But i'm not completely discounting steam reviews all together, but rather saying that you should also look at other reviews on other platforms too, and not just completely rely on one source.  How many of those game breaking bug reviews stay on there after they have been patched, for example?  Or another,  lets say if a reviewers down vote a game because of "no mod support", essentially getting the game with a big overwhelmingly negative sticker on the right. How much would that effect the customer base that don't care for the feature? 

This debate can honestly continue for decades,  hense why I revert to my original post -- take steam rev.... anything you see on the internet with a heavy grain of sodium (both positive and negative). 

9 minutes ago, ThomasPham said:

Which is a very good and valid point -- But i'm not completely discounting steam reviews all together, but rather saying that you should also look at other reviews on other platforms too, and not just completely rely on one source.  How many of those game breaking bug reviews stay on there after they have been patched, for example?  Or another,  lets say if a reviewers down vote a game because of "no mod support", essentially getting the game with a big overwhelmingly negative sticker on the right. How much would that effect the customer base that don't care for the feature?

This debate can honestly continue for decades,  hense why I revert to my original post -- take steam rev.... anything you see on the internet with a heavy grain of sodium (both positive and negative). 

i usually look at the overall score, and if it seems low i dig trough (recent) reviews to see what's up. past that i rely on an "elite" which i trust in giving a reliable review. for example when i'm looking at computer hardware, i rely on LTT, jay, jerry, kyle & paul to form a small but very reliable pool of reviews, when i look at games i watch what my favourite bunch of livestreamers make of it, etc. the reason i dont really look past steam or livestreamers for my games is simply a lack of time. it's (literally) my job to take what people say, and translate it into what they mean, steam reviews are peanuts for me :P

On 20/10/2017 at 5:42 PM, johnjohns111 said:

It's just people bitching because obsidian didn't work on this game and some are moaning about non issues (I would have thought that it would have been more about the DRM that is being used).