School gives me iss for being late?

Ashiella

I don't really see the problem with a suspension for being late very often.  I get it's tough, and I was often late for school myself, but when there is a time that is agreed upon (in the school contract) that you should be there by a certain time every day school is running it's not really out of the question to give a suspension. 

As far as I see it, it's the school vibes and the school itself.  If its a prestigious school that wants every student to perform very well, then perhaps go to another school.  My highschool didn't care whether I was there or not and as a result I skipped most of my classes, many passed but didn't become super successful afterwards. So, you should actually thank your school for pushing for success for all of it's students. 

1 hour ago, Ethocreeper said:

Just read the replys

Well that is what you can expect when you have an international audience with a wide ranged age bracket, not that some of those comments aren't sad though.

Yes, I think it's right. There are many jobs that would simply fire you for being late like that. To get to the jobs where it doesn't matter, you have to work your way up through the lower ones that won't take it. With those jobs, if you're 3 minutes late you're actually more like 10 minutes late once you get ready and start.

What they're also preparing you for is university. Late or absent a few times? You get kicked out of the class. They don't reimburse you, so you're also out the cost of that course.

As others have said, they're trying to teach you life lessons and build some discipline into you.

4 hours ago, Monte_Carlo said:

Generally a workplace will frown on you being late even once.  It's common practice to arrive a few minutes early so that you can hit the ground running when the clock ticks over.  

Sounds like someone solidly planted in the retail world xD

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I was always late.... I didn't care... I was too cool for school ?

Spoiler

I was really just lazy

Internal suspension seems a tad overkill for being late a couple of times.

My school gives you 10 chances before you get a Friday (after-school) detention.

To put this into perspective, my school punishment system is (from least to most harsh): Departmental detentions, Friday after-school, Wednesday before school, Saturday detention, Internal suspension, external suspension and finally expulsion. Basically being late means squat so some people in my year were late 40+ times xD

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

lol..if I'm late 3 minutes, I just put an exception in the time clock and deal with not being paid for that 3 minutes.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

What they're also preparing you for is university. Late or absent a few times? You get kicked out of the class. They don't reimburse you, so you're also out the cost of that course.

This just simply is not true. Post secondary institutions don't take attendance for tardiness. Maybe (rarely) they will take it for marks. The difference between high school and post secondary is that instead of the taxpayers being invested in your success in school. You are invested because the money for your education is coming out of your pocket. If you want to give them your money and then choose not to learn its your problem, not theirs.

In regards to the OP though. You should know by now the rules of the school and the punishments they give. If you don't follow them be prepared to accept the punishment. And if you think the rules are unreasonable then switch schools or debate them through proper channels. Don't expect to not follow them and then get out of it because it 'unfair' in your eyes. I remember being a high school student, there really isn't any reason to be late barring an emergency / car crash.

17 hours ago, .Ocean said:

Post secondary institutions don't take attendance for tardiness. Maybe (rarely) they will take it for marks.

Same with my university, as long as we arrive up to 10 minutes late and sign in, we are counted as present (Unless an exam). Only time our attendance matters is if we exceed a certain amount or we are on the edge of the next letter grade. B+ going up to an A- is worth avoiding being absent, though its not a problem for me since I arrive 30 minutes early regardless.

1 hour ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

As far as I see it, it's the school vibes and the school itself.  If its a prestigious school that wants every student to perform very well, then perhaps go to another school.  

And then there's my school...

Its a private school and although overall we aren't the best (private) school in Edinburgh (ranked 4th), we get the most students (per 10 or whatever students/year) into Oxbridge (i.e. 2 of the most prestigious Universities in the whole world) every year so I'd consider we're pretty good academically wise? However, we probably have the most chilled rules and disciplinary actions (for both State and private schools). You can be late 10 times before disciplinary actions is taken (only a 1hr detention) and to get an internal suspension, you'd need to be caught skipping class 3 times or properly injured someone in a fight or heck doing dodgy shizzle like drug dealing on campus and getting caught.

My school focuses on the atmosphere and extra curricular activities so I guess you don't have to be strict to be prestigious/get every student to have good grades? :D I mean another private school who gets slightly better grades prevents students from taking exams if they aren't guaranteed to get a B so I guess there is probably a good reason why our school isn't the best grades wise when as our school will happily let people take the actual exams who can't even pass their prelims (which is actually great for people with learning disabilities).

10 minutes ago, .Ocean said:

You are invested because the money for your education is coming out of your pocket. If you want to give them your money and then choose not to learn its your problem, not theirs.

Say that to places like Scotland or Germany :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

"This kid has trouble arriving on time, how can we make it so he stop being late... Oh I know! Let's SUSPEND him! Taking away precious learning time from him as "punishment" for daring to be late a couple minutes for a few days instead of trying to resolve the issue as to why he was late in the first place and how he can avoid being late again in the future, that will teach him a lesson!"

Even missing a single day from school can be catastrophic on your learning, especially if the teacher decide to teach "that one important thing you'll need until you get your diploma" on that specific day and never touch upon it again nor want to teach you about it on the pretext that "you should've been there", because they are terrible at their job.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It is pretty harsh. Then again my old high school used to dock 3% off each class per every 3 times you were tardy/absent (even if it was an excused tardy or absence).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

13 hours ago, Ashiella said:

Do you think its write that a school should give me in school suspension for being late 3 minutes each time for 3 days within half a year? Because that doesnt seem fair at all. In allot of jobs if you were 3 minutes late for 3 days during the length of half a year, im 90% certain they would just either not care or talk to you about it. But immediate disciplinary actions? Is this fair, what do you guys think?

As a business owner I can't condone people being late. Time is money. I had to fire one of my employees today for just that reason. 5th time being late to work. 10 minutes late on average each time. If it sounds ridiculous to you, think about the person they are relieving to go home after working a 12 hour shift. I wound up delaying my meetings with clients so I could let him go home to get his lids to school on time while I waited for his relief. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

7 hours ago, .Ocean said:

This just simply is not true. Post secondary institutions don't take attendance for tardiness. Maybe (rarely) they will take it for marks. The difference between high school and post secondary is that instead of the taxpayers being invested in your success in school. You are invested because the money for your education is coming out of your pocket. If you want to give them your money and then choose not to learn its your problem, not theirs.

Maybe not for yours, it was for mine.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

16 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I genuinely don't understand how people wind up late unless there's some very specific reason behind it.

It’s called not giving a fuck, I’m 30 minutes late to work everyday because simply I can lose my job and still live for the next 15 years comfortably, house is 100% paid off too so no worry’s about Being kicked out by the bank, 

only people who 100% care are on time when there is no legit reason for being late, even missing an alarm is not an excuse, but I only don’t care because I did all my caring already allowing me to slack with no consequences 

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

On 10/20/2017 at 6:39 AM, Ashiella said:

Do you think its write that a school should give me in school suspension for being late 3 minutes each time for 3 days within half a year? Because that doesnt seem fair at all. In allot of jobs if you were 3 minutes late for 3 days during the length of half a year, im 90% certain they would just either not care or talk to you about it. But immediate disciplinary actions? Is this fair, what do you guys think?

Well, it could be worse, some schools where I am can and will throw kids into jail for being late; which is too extreme of a punishment if you ask me.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Suspended for coming late? wtf. Here you can come late 5-10 min every day and only thing that happens is that one thing on your diploma look worse. (actually a really bad thing btw, because thats the single most important thing for a workplace on a diploma)
This is high school I am talking about btw.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Internal suspension XD, I'd skip if it lead to an external one seriously screw that, though I also can sleep without appearing to do so while at a desk so whatever. Either way I find school punishments to be a load of crap and thus I've voted to lower their funding as I have no respect for the institutions and hate taxes.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

On 10/20/2017 at 9:30 AM, normpearii said:

I always wake up significantly earlier than I need to be somewhere so that in the worst case scenario, I naturally wake up awhile after my alarm would be set in-case I somehow slept through it.

Once your out of school, you need to understand that many employers simply don't care that there was a 5 car accident on your way to work that made you late, they will just not care, they will not baby you, now is the time to understand this, they expect you to be there anyway. The only way to do that is to be always early, get used to doing that now so its a habit before you're in a situation where there may not be a second chance.

I never liked getting up early, so I drive faster instead. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Obey the rules of the school or face suspension, that's how it is mate. Half the lesson's about punctuality and the other half is about discipline.

The school is doing the right thing by enforcing the rules. They are trying to mold you into a responsible adult so you can be successful. Listen to the message, manage your time better, and move on with it. If you were consistently late at my workplace you would be reprimanded and / or eventually fired for it. 

5950X | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 | ASUS Dark Hero | EVGA FTW3 Ultra 3090 Hybrid | ASUS PG27UQ & PG279Q | Dual Samsung 970 Evo+ 2TB | Corsair AX1600i | Corsair H150i Pro Capillex | Corsair 1000D

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I never liked getting up early, so I drive faster instead. :P

Someone with that sort of mentality just (this morning) took out a significant portion of my fence and fledgling hedge in one quadrant of my garden. Admittedly I didn't know anything about it until they knocked on my door...

Another time, when I was a lot younger, someone else in such a state almost killed me and my partner one morning by overtaking on a blind bend and into the front of our vehicle.

It's not really something to boast about because it just makes you look like a moronic child. It's thanks to people like you that insurance is so high for everyone else.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

1 hour ago, Nuluvius said:

Someone with that sort of mentality just (this morning) took out a significant portion of my fence and fledgling hedge in one quadrant of my garden. Admittedly I didn't know anything about it until they knocked on my door...

Another time, when I was a lot younger, someone else in such a state almost killed me and my partner one morning by overtaking on a blind bend and into the front of our vehicle.

It's not really something to boast about because it just makes you look like a moronic child. It's thanks to people like you that insurance is so high for everyone else.

It was mild sarcasm on my part. Some people at my work drive quite fast though, which this thread reminded me of.

Still, there is a difference between fast driving and dumb driving. Overtaking in a blind corner at any speed classifies as dumb, or for that matter, anything that might jeopardize the safety of other drivers, property or bystanders.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 10/21/2017 at 4:44 AM, dizmo said:

Sounds like someone solidly planted in the retail world xD

lol

I've found it really applies to more than a few jobs.  Teaching especially for obvious reasons... but even if a company has fairly relaxed log-in times, it's best to not abuse it.  That's usually how privileges are lost.  But damn retail was anal about it.  

tl;dr: Sorry OP, but you aren't gonna find too much sympathy here.  It's best to arrive early in the end.  This is a fairly easy rule to follow imo.  

only 3 lates jesus christ how??? I think in my final year at school for the entire year I was only on time 3 times and the school didn't give a fuck

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

On 10/20/2017 at 9:39 AM, Ashiella said:

I don't think it's write but I think it's right. You're not the only person impacted by being late, the teacher might have to explain things twice or it might distract other students.

-KuJoe