Strange Job Interview Questions

Out of curiosity, what are the most unusual questions you've been asked during an interview and how did you respond?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Out of curiosity, what are the most unusual questions you've been asked during an interview and how did you respond?

Its not so strange now, but when I'm interviewing people for my company.....I ask for their facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.

My reason for this is to make sure they won't damage relations with clientele.  I've actually had to turn down good applicants due to behavior I can't have associated with my company. And that is why I don't use social media at all. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

I was once asked if I had a problem with yelling at people and if I had a problem being yelled at.

That question prompted me to just up and leave the interview. There was no way I'd wanna work in a place where that was the norm.

It might have been a reasonable question if I was applying for job in the army, but it was a normal corporate office job.

1 hour ago, Zusafek said:

Its not so strange now, but when I'm interviewing people for my company.....I ask for their facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.

My reason for this is to make sure they won't damage relations with clientele.  I've actually had to turn down good applicants due to behavior I can't have associated with my company. And that is why I don't use social media at all. 

I was once turned down for a job because I don't use any social media.

The interviewer came right out and said that it was a sign of a kind of asocial behavior that they couldn't work with.

As far as I can tell you pretty much can't win.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

2 hours ago, Zusafek said:

Funny how undermining social media can be in this context; some things are better left unknown/unseen. Some people should be more cautious of the content they post on social media, or limit who can see what/how much of it.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Probably not super strange but i've gotten the question

"This is a multi-cultural workplace. Is that going to be a problem?"

Or similar questions. Only  happened a few times but still. Who is going to say its an issue?

Always reminds me of this

racist-now-father.gif

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

8 minutes ago, techswede said:

Or similar questions. Only  happened a few times but still. Who is going to say its an issue?

racist-now-father.gif

There still live people creatures on this world that find this challenging. 

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

5 minutes ago, Cruorzy said:

There still live people creatures on this world that find this challenging. 

Yeah but 99% of them would probably not admit it during a job interview.

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

3 minutes ago, techswede said:

Yeah but 99% of them would probably not admit it during a job interview.

The point is probably that they asked, and could reference back if there will be a issue.

Maybe because of bad experiences with workers in the past. 

Quote or mention me if not feel ignored 

Just now, Cruorzy said:

The point is probably that they asked, and could reference back if there will be a issue.

Maybe because of bad experiences with workers in the past. 

Very likely. 

3 hours ago, Zusafek said:

I ask for their facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc.

That's pretty creepy and info I would never give out even though I rarely touch social media. Hasn't a single thing related to if someone is capable of a job.

Unless the position was a community manager, companies who are that nosey are not a company I'd want to work for.

3 hours ago, Zusafek said:

Its not so strange now, but when I'm interviewing people for my company.....I ask for their facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, et.

What happens if I say that I don't use social media? Negative points?

I have facebook but I am no active there. Just a time waste. I don't use social media in general. 

1 hour ago, Volbet said:

The interviewer came right out and said that it was a sign of a kind of asocial behavior that they couldn't work with.

I wouldn't want to work with that company either.

1 hour ago, Volbet said:

Wow, that is bad.

Seems I will be out of luck if one every ask me that question since I don't use most social media sites.  Plus, sorry, I ain't going to give a job a link to the one I rarely use (just use it to message to family and friends).  I lock it down as is per the briefings from my Guard unit anyway.

Myself, I don't recall any weird questions from the few interviews I done so far.  But, I do remember the one where the interviewer face changed when I said I was military when ask what my previous job was.  Yeah...face told me enough I was not getting the job.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

46 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Hasn't a single thing related to if someone is capable of a job.

Yes but the sheer ability of doing a job isn't the only thing people look for, right?

It's not like he is asking the candidate to log on FB/Twitter before him to show all the content but to just provide easier route to find the public account. 

In our rather complicated reality I find it perfectly understandable if a company wouldn't want to be associated with, say, a white supremacist - regardless of his amazing job skills.

14 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

What happens if I say that I don't use social media? Negative points?

Considering that he himself said that he doesn't use social media, I'd guess no negative points.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 hour ago, Lathlaer said:

Yes but the sheer ability of doing a job isn't the only thing people look for, right?

It's not like he is asking the candidate to log on FB/Twitter before him to show all the content but to just provide easier route to find the public account. 

In our rather complicated reality I find it perfectly understandable if a company wouldn't want to be associated with, say, a white supremacist - regardless of his amazing job skills.

The problem with checking into people's private social media accounts is that you begin to movie into a murky legal territory. 

For example, basing your hiring decision on a person political ideology is illegal where I live. 

Just like it would be to ask people if they are gay, into BDSM or what their religious affiliation is. 

I would also argue that it shouldn't matter. If Richard Spencer wanted to work for me, then I wouldn't consider his private ideology at all. All I would care about is the service he could provide to my clients. 

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

I wouldn't want to work with that company either.

I wouldn't want to either, but at the time I was pretty strapped for cash. Luckily, I did find a different job shortly after. 

1 hour ago, Ithanul said:

Wow, that is bad.

Seems I will be out of luck if one every ask me that question since I don't use most social media sites.  Plus, sorry, I ain't going to give a job a link to the one I rarely use (just use it to message to family and friends).  I lock it down as is per the briefings from my Guard unit anyway.

To be fair, it has only happened once. 

I have been to tons of interviews through the years and I've only been asked about social media that one time. 

I guess I could share another interview story, although, it didn't happen to me but to a friend of mine.

Long story short, he applied for a job as a receptionist and got an interview. At the interview he was asked questions like: 

"Which square seems the most friendly?"

"You're trapped on a deserted island. What is your survival strategy?"

"On a scale of 1-10 how suppressed do you feel?"

etc. 

While he didn't get the job, he later found out that the place was closely associated with Scientology. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I've been asked on 2 Interviews 

So i see you like F1 ? 

Lewis Hamilton or Vettel ? 

What football(Real football that you play with your feet) team do you support ? 

Android or Iphone ? 
Although that last one sort of makes sense as i am working in IT. 

Really wanted to put a jokey response in like once was asked "is that really the best "insert sexual act" you can do ? "

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

1 hour ago, Hayabusa1989 said:

Android or Iphone ? 
Although that last one sort of makes sense as i am working in IT. 

"Well actually I use a Windows phone"
*Is told to GTFO of their office*

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 hours ago, Zusafek said:

I do exactly the same thing.

Never make a social media profile public unless you are happy with potential employers looking into this. My profile is clean however i like to let my CV, Cover letter and interviews do the talking rather than my digital footprint.

B| Obligatory Signature Text B|

4 hours ago, techswede said:

Spoiler

racist-now-father.gif

Good episode that one

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

9 minutes ago, Nup said:

Good episode that one

Yup. Although "Kicking bishop Brennan up the arse" is probably my favorite. 

4 hours ago, techswede said:

It would be an issue for me but that is due to my countries unique situation since the refugee crisis. My patience is not very long when repeatedly asked what I just said.

1 hour ago, The_Protagonist said:

I do exactly the same thing.

Never make a social media profile public unless you are happy with potential employers looking into this. My profile is clean however i like to let my CV, Cover letter and interviews do the talking rather than my digital footprint.

And this is why my Facebook account basically only says 'Wow, she's a HUGE nerd.  What is it with her and Zoisite from Sailor Moon?"

I work in the film industry but you won't even see me rant about not liking a movie on FaceBook.  There's basically 'Good Movies' and 'Movies I Don't Post About'.

Just now, AshleyAshes said:

And this is why my Facebook account basically only says 'Wow, she's a HUGE nerd.  What is it with her and Zoisite from Sailor Moon?"

I work in the film industry but you won't even see me rant about not liking a movie on FaceBook.  There's basically 'Good Movies' and 'Movies I Don't Post About'.

It's a smart idea to have. It's not a good thing to post controversial or offensive things on an online account that is meant to represent you. Ideally do not post offensive things anyway! xD

B| Obligatory Signature Text B|

8 hours ago, Zusafek said:

As a business owner, I can tell you this is a big no no.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

8 hours ago, Zusafek said:

Many people would view that as a breach of personal privacy, i know companies do checks on social media but if you know their name you can find them on facebook anyway