Ransomware Costs Toshiba 400,000TB of SSD Storage Production

Go to solution Solved by Sakkura,

Toshiba has denied the story and DRAMeXchange has debunked it.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/toshiba-victim-of-ransomware-halts-production-of-nand-flash.html

Source: https://www.eteknix.com/ransomware-costs-toshiba-400000tb-ssd-storage

Toshiba's NAND production facilities in Japan were targeted by ransomware attacks severe enough to cause production to come to a halt for 3-6 weeks. This is an estimated production loss of 100,000 wafers, or roughly 400PB worth of chips, enough to possibly cause a short term market shortage in NAND and more price increases. 

“Toshiba recently suspended NAND flash production at its Japan facilities for a few weeks due to ransomware attacks on its computer network, according to sources at channel distributors. The incident could tighten global NAND flash supply.

Toshiba decided to shut down the production for 3-6 weeks to deal with the hacking, but production has now returned to normal, said the sources, adding that the suspension resulted in reduced NAND flash production nearly 100,000 wafers.”

Lead me astray.. to dreamer's hideaway. 

/facepalm

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

why do people have to be like that :(

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no

Just now, Clockwork_princess said:

why do people have to be like that :(

Well do u like money? 

4 minutes ago, Siedge said:

I am very curious what the money lost here is for them. I imagine it's very very high.

Yeah, millions upon millions just lost.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

It should be international law that those who initiate those type of attacks be made to become the personal slave of who they attacked.

Just now, Orangeator said:

Yeah, millions upon millions just lost.

Which I imagine we very well may feel the impacts of it on the consumer end for a while.

16 hours ago, Siedge said:

I am very curious what the money lost here is for them. I imagine it's very very high.

Probably around the $100-$200 million(+) USD ballpark.

Taking 400,000,000 GB worth of SSDs, if we assume (quite arbitrarily, someone wanna pull up some hard statistics? xD) the (weighted) average size of SSD sold to be ~250 GB, that's around 1,600,000 products, or some 160 million USD if we assume (arbitrarily again) they receive $100 $25-60 made off every 250 GB SSD.

TL;DR for those who don't like math: brace yourselves, the winter of inflated SSD prices are coming.

such nand shortage, very never ending. WOW

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, thorhammerz said:

About $100-$200 million(+) USD.

400,000,000 GB worth of SSDs, if we assume (quite arbitrarily, someone wanna pull up some hard statistics? xD) the (weighted) average size of SSD sold to be ~250 GB, that's around 1,600,000 products, or some 160 million USD if we assume (arbitrarily again) they receive $100 made off every 250 GB SSD.

Yeah plus even though no work was getting done, I imagine they didn't just tell all their employees to stop coming it, so not only did they lose those cards but the actual money to make them was still mostly getting spent (Labor wise, building costs, etc)

Just now, Siedge said:

Yeah plus even though no work was getting done, I imagine they didn't just tell all their employees to stop coming it, so not only did they lose those cards but the actual money to make them was still mostly getting spent (Labor wise, building costs, etc)

Well, the number(s) I made was just raw revenue lost. Actual profit lost is probably some fraction of that (because of the costs you mention having to be factored in).

Question 1: Why were computer systems used for production even connected to the internet in the first place?

Question 2: Why were such computer systems not backed up regularly to preven this very scenario?

Question 3: What kind of idiots are running the show at Toshiba? For a company so heavily invested in the storage market, this is downright embarassing. They literally MANUFACTURE storage devices, they could have had a company wide backup system at minimal cost...

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Just now, thorhammerz said:

Well, the number(s) I made was just raw revenue lost. Actual profit lost is probably some fraction of that (because of the costs you mention having to be factored in).

Yeah so let's just assume it's somewhere around or below that 100 million mark, honestly that is just insane amounts of money due to something so silly

4 minutes ago, Siedge said:

Yeah so let's just assume it's somewhere around or below that 100 million mark, honestly that is just insane amounts of money due to something so silly

Painful (on paper, and probably for the consumer who will likely bear the brunt of the cost), yes.

Painful over the long term (for the company)... well, let's just say their total revenue for the 2016 year was somewhere in the $50 billion USD mark, and their profits for a single quarter was in the $200 million USD ballpark. In short, they lose a quarter of growth, take a nice little stock price hit, and then shrug it off after a year or two :P.

13 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

It should be international law that those who initiate those type of attacks be made to become the personal slave of who they attacked.

Ignoring any other possible issues with this, I think the issue you'll have is finding them in the first place.  If they could do that you can bet they would be prosecuted under existing laws.

---

And this is why I always say don't pay.  Every time someone does, it gives them more money and shows that there's a viable "business" doing this, so more people start doing it.  Mad about prices going up?  Don't hate the attackers, hate the people who literally paid them to do it - everyone who has fallen victim before and rather than fighting back decided to just lay down and go along with it.  How long has ransomware been "a thing"?  A year at least, right?  Maybe even two?  It could have been stopped before it even got going but no, instead it's growing at an alarming rate, and you know why?  Because it works.  And it works because people are willing to pay.  Don't be one of them.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, thorhammerz said:

Painful (on paper), yes.

Painful over the long term (for the company)... well, let's just say their total revenue for the 2016 year was somewhere in the 50 billion USD mark.

Whats the profit? Theres manufacturing costs.

5 minutes ago, Clockwork_princess said:

there are ways to legally get money lol. its not hard. 

or if you want to do it illegal jsut sell drugs, a buddy of mine made 40k a month selling weed. 

Well yea but just saying, every1 likes money and these guys found it easier to simply make a ransom ware. 

6 minutes ago, cstwister said:

Was around $400 million USD for 2016 I think. They lose a quarter (or two) of growth, take a nice stock price hit, and brush it off after a year or three.

(mybad, wrong statistic pulled).

Their accounting scandal a year or two back revealed a $1.3 Billion shortfall... over which they were/are being sued another ~$160 million USD... in comparison, this is just another drop in the bucket (at least, for the company as a whole).

1 minute ago, Me1z said:

Question 1: Why were computer systems used for production even connected to the internet in the first place?

Question 2: Why were such computer systems not backed up regularly to preven this very scenario?

Question 3: What kind of idiots are running the show at Toshiba? For a company so heavily invested in the storage market, this is downright embarassing. They literally MANUFACTURE storage devices, they could have had a company wide backup system at minimal cost...

1: It specifies that the internal network was attacked, but not the source of the attack. It's possible, and VERY probable, that it wasn't initiated over the internet. It's also highly likely that the network of systems attacked operate on a virtual network with no direct internet access that would allow this outcome.

2: It very likely is, on media that prioritizes data integrity over read/write speeds. It's also likely that their system is not set up to reset the systems that quickly.

3: Without knowing more about the circumstances on how this happened, it's safe to assume that Toshiba has a security system in place that would stop most incidents. But as with every security system, there are holes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, cstwister said:

Toshiba profit for 2016 was $9.6B 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Nothing is unhackable.  Soon rocks will have worms in them!

Read the last sentence.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, cstwister said:

Well yea but just saying, every1 likes money and these guys found it easier to simply make a ransom ware. 

i get it, when you have no real skills in life you have to go and be malousisos to take money from other people who have skills and worked hard,

they can put the computer knowledge in use and work the government to legally make stuff like that to infect opposing government computers.

even selling weed is better becase your not being a dick.

I guess we can only hope their first born gets a horrible but non life threatening disease that they have to spend all their stolen money on medical costs and ends up broke again.

If you want to argue with me, and you probably will please PM me, no need to ruin threads becase you dont like how I am.

Ask me how I made 100k selling illegal narcotics!

Spoiler

and you think im joking, Did a lot of wrong to get my money right.

I look up to Larry Hoover.

Your homies loyal 'til the one time you tell 'em no