Temperature Issue

Bruno_A

Hey, guys, I recently bought 3 Cooler Master Silencio 120mm PWM fans to replace the Arctic F12 PWM PST I had in the back as an exhaust fan, and add the other two at the front for intake. When the 3 fans arrived, I couldn't use all three as I was waiting for two PWM splitters in the mail, so I left the Arctic fan in and used the PWM female plug that comes out of its wire to plug one of the Silencio fans and plugged another Silencio fan to the PWR_FAN header (3-pin) and the results were disappointing. The temperatures came down 1ºC, as far as I remember. Then, the PWM splitters came in and I installed one to the PWM_header with the other one connected to one end of the splitter (making it a 3-way splitter) and left the CPU fan "alone". The problem is, when I did this, the CPU temperature went from 49ºC to 56ºC, which may not seem a lot, but shouldn't happen when I just added 2 extra fans and replaced one. Also, it will run even hotter when gaming, due to the graphics card heat rising. I have two PWM fan headers, and the CPU fan header is plugged to the CPU cooler only, and the other fan header is plugged to the 3 Cooler Master Silencio fans. Any idea why is this happening?

Here are some print screens of my temperatures and fan speeds. (Ignore the CPU temperatures on HWMonitor as they are wrong. Both Aida64 and MSI Afterburner show completely different numbers)

Spoiler

stabilitytest2.png.caaf19ef968f28a2ea23364f8dbb0793.pngScreenshot_49.thumb.png.13c600e4a12fe8f99dd9bcb54bfabff0.png

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

Are you keeping track of the fan speeds in both cases?

How were your fans configured before and now?

Was there any change to ambient temps?

Your temps are fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If FAN1 means case fans, they are spinning rather slow for load speeds. 800rpm is something I would have as light load speed (600rpm min, 1200rpm max). I didn't quite understand your config. Are you using 3-ways splitter for 3 fans or 2x Y-splitters where 2nd Y-splitter is connected to 1st Y-splitter? And before that you had one fan piggybacking of another and one using PWR connector (= no control, just rpm readout)? FYI, it isn't recommended to use 2 Y-splitters in chain. But I think issue is more about fan curve/control being used.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you keeping track of the fan speeds in both cases?

How were your fans configured before and now?

Was there any change to ambient temps?

Your temps are fine.

Problem solved, I replaced the CPU cooler fan with a Corsair SP120 that I had lying around and set the fan speed to 36% (if it is 35%, the fan fails to spin unless it is already spinning when you set it to 35%) on SpeedFan. The reason why I didn't have this fan installed is that it was rather noisy and at the time I got it, I had no idea how to use SpeedFan and didn't really bother to look it up. Silly me. After I replaced the cooler fan with the Corsair SP120, at 36%, the temperatures in a 30m stress test on Aida64 were 45ºC (4ºC lower than the stock cooler fan, at 100%!!!). If I set the fan to 100%, well, the desk vibrates and I have to hold on to the PC so it doesn't fly away, but the temps at a stress test are 39ºC at 100% speed, which is awesome given that the CPU is overclocked to 4.1GHz, but not worth due to the sound. My guess is that even though I only had one case fan in the back of the entire case (other than the CPU fan), it was an airflow-optimized fan, which I replaced with a Cooler Master Silencio fan, which is silence-optimized fan and somehow spins at 800rpm at load, instead of the 1400rpm maximum speed. Also, when I benchmarked both fan setups before posting here, I didn't set any fan curve on SpeedFan or any other software.

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If FAN1 means case fans, they are spinning rather slow for load speeds. 800rpm is something I would have as light load speed (600rpm min, 1200rpm max). I didn't quite understand your config. Are you using 3-ways splitter for 3 fans or 2x Y-splitters where 2nd Y-splitter is connected to 1st Y-splitter? And before that you had one fan piggybacking of another and one using PWR connector (= no control, just rpm readout)? FYI, it isn't recommended to use 2 Y-splitters in chain. But I think issue is more about fan curve/control being used.

Yes, FAN1 represents the case fans. I also found it weird that the fans ran at they minimum speeds at load (800rpm-1400rpm), but that was the stock fan curve. As for the fan setup, I'm running three Cooler Master Silencio FP120's, two at the front for intake, and one at the back for exhaust, which are all connected to one PWM header using one 2-way PWM splitter and connecting another 2-way PWM splitter plugged to the other 2-way PWM splitter, so yeah, two splitters in chain. I know this is not great, but each fan only need 0.16 Amps at maximum speed (doesn't make sense advertising 0.16A for the minimum speeds), so, the fan header would only output 0.48A at maximum speed (I don't use them at maximum speed, I have them at 65% all the time with SpeedFan now as I'm quite happy with the silence).

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans