What is the point of 144hz?

TheWrithingVoid
Go to solution Solved by gbergeron,
4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

This is kind of what I am debating about with myself: I have been hankering to replace my real-shitty, budget Benq from like 6-7 years ago for a while now, but I don't know if I should go for better colour-gamut or higher refresh-rate. It's not like I have the money to even buy a display right now, but if/when I do, I don't know which would be the better option for me. There's no place where I could even test which one I prefer, I just have to basically guess, which doesn't make things any better.

High refresh rates : FPS and Racing games

High resolution : RTS MMORPG RPG etc..

Get both if you're rich

Okay, so after a little over a year of having a 144hz monitor I can officially say, that I still kinda don't get it. I have an Asus vg248, 144hz 1ms response time, running 144 hz via display port and, I still just kinda don't get it. I don't really notice a difference past 65 fps in the appearance of what I am doing, and honestly the response time is so slight in difference that I don't see a difference between it, and my girlfriends Acer monitor which is IPS.

So, what am I missing?
It seems like color, and contrast ratio, for... what? Did I jump on the hype train to sadness town, or do I just not get the point of the 144hz's? Could someone please explain what I am missing here because I have it in front of me, and it just doesn't seem worth when I could have gotten a nice IPS for the same price.

For me it looks more smooth than 60hz, but I can't tell the difference between 120 and 144.

Depends on the person tho

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Are you sure it's hooked it up right?  60 to 144 HZ should be incredibly obvious, like night and day difference...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, TheWrithingVoid said:

Okay, so after a little over a year of having a 144hz monitor I can officially say, that I still kinda don't get it. I have an Asus vg248, 144hz 1ms response time, running 144 hz via display port and, I still just kinda don't get it. I don't really notice a difference past 65 fps in the appearance of what I am doing, and honestly the response time is so slight in difference that I don't see a difference between it, and my girlfriends Acer monitor which is IPS.

So, what am I missing?
It seems like color, and contrast ratio, for... what? Did I jump on the hype train to sadness town, or do I just not get the point of the 144hz's? Could someone please explain what I am missing here because I have it in front of me, and it just doesn't seem worth when I could have gotten a nice IPS for the same price.

This is kind of what I am debating about with myself: I have been hankering to replace my real-shitty, budget Benq from like 6-7 years ago for a while now, but I don't know if I should go for better colour-gamut or higher refresh-rate. It's not like I have the money to even buy a display right now, but if/when I do, I don't know which would be the better option for me. There's no place where I could even test which one I prefer, I just have to basically guess, which doesn't make things any better.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Are you sure it's hooked it up right?  60 to 144 HZ should be incredibly obvious, like night and day difference...

Adding onto that, did you increase your refresh rate in windows? 

(w10)

>right click on desktop

>display settings

>display adapter properties

>monitor

>change refresh rate

And yes, it should be extremely obvious whether you have it set to 60hz or 144hz. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Get both if you're rich

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

11 minutes ago, TheWrithingVoid said:

So, what am I missing?

Like other said, make sure you're monitor refresh rate in nvidia control panel is set to 144 hz

Also, 1 ms vs 4 ms IPS, i do believe you won't never see the difference. Should always go for the IPS since better colors and view angles etc..

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but 60 v 120 is a crazy difference and 60 v 144 is that much more. Do remember, though, that the mHz refresh rate indicates how many frames per second the display screen is producing, so if you're only getting 30 fps from your video card you won't be taking advantage of the refresh rate. 144 mHz means your display will present 144 frames to your eyes every second. If your system can only produce 60 frames to the monitor you won't get 144 unique frames every second. 

17 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Get both if you're rich

I ain't rich and I wasn't talking about resolution, I was talking about IPS vs. 144Hz. 144Hz IPS-displays cost an arm and a leg, as far as I am aware, so if/when I have the money, the choice'll be only one or the other, not both.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I've gamed for a long time at 60 Hz. Then I got a 120 Hz monitor... and I had to run vsync on as I can't stand tearing and it seemed better, but not a huge amount so, likely as most of the time it was running below 120 fps, so with vsync my effective short term rate might have been closer to 60 anyway. Then I saw a 144 Hz G-sync monitor on sale, and got it. Wow, now I feel it. Everything is smooth and responsive. I do run a fps counter, and it varies in my main game from around 90 to 150 fps. I'd say 90 fps with G-sync feels better than 120 Hz without. There is something about the responsiveness that I can't describe. 

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Try this to make sure it's actually at 144 hz

https://www.vsynctester.com/detect.html

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

10 minutes ago, porina said:

I've gamed for a long time at 60 Hz. Then I got a 120 Hz monitor... and I had to run vsync on as I can't stand tearing and it seemed better, but not a huge amount so, likely as most of the time it was running below 120 fps, so with vsync my effective short term rate might have been closer to 60 anyway. Then I saw a 144 Hz G-sync monitor on sale, and got it. Wow, now I feel it. Everything is smooth and responsive. I do run a fps counter, and it varies in my main game from around 90 to 150 fps. I'd say 90 fps with G-sync feels better than 120 Hz without. There is something about the responsiveness that I can't describe. 

IMO, the adaptive refresh rate techs are the things that really matter 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I have the MG248Q, I think its the newer version of the monitor OP is talking about and I love it.

OP If you don't notice the difference just using the desktop then something is not setup correctly... also in games if your have V-Sync on it will usually limit your frame rate down to 60FPS meaning you will NOT see any major diff apart from the response time so check everything out and let us know.

Now going from 144 ---> 240hz that's a debate on what is "worth" it or not,  If your gaming especially esports titles CSGO, PUBG, LEAUGE etc seeing 144 frames per second apposed to 60 gives you a huge advantage at higher levels I cant even play games without a high refresh rate monitor anymore.  I also have an RX 580 so I can take advantage of the freesync features of the monitor.

Good Luck!

Depends on the person. Some people swear by high refresh rate, and others don't care. Same with high resolution, ultrawide, IPS, adaptive sync, or whatever. You just gotta pick the features that are important to you and save some money by leaving out the stuff you don't notice or don't care about

Primary: CPU Core i7-4790K  |  MOBO Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H   |  RAM 24GB Crucial DDR3-1600 CL9  |  GPU XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition  |  CPU Cooler Thermaltake Frio Silent 14  |  Case Cooler Master N400  |  PSU Corsair CXM 750 Watt |  Boot Drive 500GB Samsung 850 Evo  |  Storage 500GB WD Laptop HDD + 2TB Toshiba HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 250GB WD Laptop HDD + 4TB WD Blue HDD  |  Monitor Acer XG270HU  |  Secondary Monitor Nixeus VUE-24  |  Tertiary Monitor Sony SDM-HS53  |  OS Windows 10

Secondary: (down for maintenance) CPU Core 2 Quad Q9300  |  MOBO (Asus P5N-E arriving soon)  |  RAM 8GB DDR2-800  |  GPU Visiontek Radeon R9 270  | CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper T2  |  Case Rajintek Arcadia  |  PSU EVGA 500 BV  |  Boot Drive 240GB PNY SSD  |  Storage 120GB Seagate PATA HDD  |  Removable Drives Sony PATA DVD RW Drive + 3.5 inch Floppy Drive  |  Monitor HP S2031  |  OS Windows 10

1 hour ago, porina said:

That's because Vsync sync at fixed FPS, 15-30-60-120

So whenever you had 110 fps, Vsync was syncing at 60 or in other words, it feels like you have 60 fps instead of 110 or 100 or 119 or anything between 60 and 120

If you use adaptive mode instead of vsync on ( in nvidia contorl panel ) it will keep vsync on as long as you have 120 fps or + and as soon as you drop under it will automaticaly turn off vsync so you wont have that 60 fps feeling !!!

2 hours ago, WereCatf said:

I ain't rich and I wasn't talking about resolution, I was talking about IPS vs. 144Hz. 144Hz IPS-displays cost an arm and a leg, as far as I am aware, so if/when I have the money, the choice'll be only one or the other, not both.

IPS vs 144 hz ?

I mean.. you can have IPS 144 hz so I don't understand what you mean..

Are you talking about TN 144 hz VS IPS 144 hz ?

Then I would say it's an eazy win for IPS. Biggest advantages are lil bit better colors, and image stay clear from almost any angles compared to TN screen where as soon as you look at it form an angle it becomes grey or dark etc...

It dep[ends if you are willing to spend that extra 200$ for the IPS

7 hours ago, gbergeron said:

If you use adaptive mode instead of vsync on ( in nvidia contorl panel ) it will keep vsync on as long as you have 120 fps or + and as soon as you drop under it will automaticaly turn off vsync so you wont have that 60 fps feeling !!!

And enjoy that lovely screen tearing feeling? No thanks.

7 hours ago, gbergeron said:

IPS vs 144 hz ?

I mean.. you can have IPS 144 hz so I don't understand what you mean..

It was written previously it was more about cost, that they become exclusive choices.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

in b4 this dude has been running his 144hz panel @ 60hz for a year :P

Main Rig |  Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Intel 6700k @ 5ghz | Corsair H110i GTX | 16gb Kingston HyperX 2800mhz DDR4 | Corsair hx1000i | Intel 750 400gb NVME 2.5 SSD | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 8x 4tb Seagate HDD Synology DS1813+ | BenQ XL2720T | Zowie FK1 | Corsair K70 RGB | Sennheiser HD650 | Mayflower 02DAC and Amp combo | Blue Spark Microphone | Fractal Define S | Asus GTX980ti Strix

Wife's Rig | Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel 3770k @ 4.8ghz | Corsair H100i 4x sp120 Quiet Edition | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz DDR3 | Corsair ax760i | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 3x 24" Lenovo 1200p Screens  | Bit Fenix Prodigy 230mm Intake & af140 Exhaust | Gigabyte GTX780

1. I am 100% without a doubt actually pushing 144hz. Figured out everything I needed to do to make that happen before I even bought the monitor.
2. To clarify by IPS vs 144hz, I meant that for most people you kind of have to choose between a high refresh TN panel or a 60hz IPS because the high refresh ones are super expensive. The question was for the same money is it worth.
3. Just because a monitor has a higher refresh rate does not mean it will look any smoother to you. The human eye sees light at 60Hz as a stable beam. That is why in the US our AC current is at 60 hz and why 60fps is always your target fps. Some people might see a little higher, but I seriously doubt more than 5-10hz more. 

4. So it seems like the general opinion here is that it makes things smoother. In that case wouldn't g-sync be a better investment if you had to choose?

1 hour ago, TheWrithingVoid said:

3. Just because a monitor has a higher refresh rate does not mean it will look any smoother to you. The human eye sees light at 60Hz as a stable beam. That is why in the US our AC current is at 60 hz and why 60fps is always your target fps. Some people might see a little higher, but I seriously doubt more than 5-10hz more. 

might be time to trade your PC in for a Console mate... pls don't start with the human eye can only see xx amount fps.

but in all seriousness if you can't notice a difference in smoothness even just moving a window around on the desktop then something is wrong. 

Main Rig |  Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Intel 6700k @ 5ghz | Corsair H110i GTX | 16gb Kingston HyperX 2800mhz DDR4 | Corsair hx1000i | Intel 750 400gb NVME 2.5 SSD | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 8x 4tb Seagate HDD Synology DS1813+ | BenQ XL2720T | Zowie FK1 | Corsair K70 RGB | Sennheiser HD650 | Mayflower 02DAC and Amp combo | Blue Spark Microphone | Fractal Define S | Asus GTX980ti Strix

Wife's Rig | Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel 3770k @ 4.8ghz | Corsair H100i 4x sp120 Quiet Edition | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz DDR3 | Corsair ax760i | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 3x 24" Lenovo 1200p Screens  | Bit Fenix Prodigy 230mm Intake & af140 Exhaust | Gigabyte GTX780

it really comes down to personal preference, if you have stupid money to get a 1080ti, you could maxed virtually everything at 144hz, however you (and nethier i) have this kind of money to burn

so like the answer you accepted, it can also boil down to genre; but personally i enjoy looking at a game as much as i play it, so i can't imagine going through the trouble of a new setup just to get 144hz when im perfectly happy with 60hz

also i too have seen 120hz and i can barely tell the difference

3 hours ago, TheWrithingVoid said:

3. Just because a monitor has a higher refresh rate does not mean it will look any smoother to you.

True: for one thing, you need to make sure you're also running the game at a higher fps.

The human eye sees light at 60Hz as a stable beam. That is why in the US our AC current is at 60 hz and why 60fps is always your target fps. Some people might see a little higher, but I seriously doubt more than 5-10hz more.

I'm not sure where you heard this but you need to go back to the source and make a list of anything else you also "learned" from it, and then purge everything on that list from your memory.  I try not to deal in absolutes but this may possibly be the most incorrect thing I've ever heard.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, TheWrithingVoid said:

60 Hz electrical systems have nothing to do with human eyes. But even if it did, bear in mind that 1 Hz in electrical waveforms is one peak and one trough, on a display that would be one white frame and one black frame. The flickering caused by a 60 Hz electrical system would be what you would see on a 120 Hz display, not a 60 Hz display.

60 Hz refresh rate is standard because LCDs do not flicker between frames; CRTs used 85 Hz as standard specifically because 60 Hz wasn't enough to avoid flickering. Human eyes do not see light at 60 Hz as a stable beam. We can only get away with 60 Hz now because LCDs hold the image on the screen instead of fading to black after each refresh.

It isn't whether or not 144hz makes a difference. The difference is noticable but minimal the real question is whether it is worth the loss of contrast ratio and color. There is improvement and I just don't think it's worth it. I'm just trying to see whether in what instance it is supposed to be worth it, because everything I have been told suggests 144hz is some kind of magical thing that is worth every compromise. 

18 minutes ago, TheWrithingVoid said:

It isn't whether or not 144hz makes a difference. The difference is noticable but minimal the real question is whether it is worth the loss of contrast ratio and color. There is improvement and I just don't think it's worth it. I'm just trying to see whether in what instance it is supposed to be worth it, because everything I have been told suggests 144hz is some kind of magical thing that is worth every compromise. 

The reason we're all still questioning your setup is because you say the difference "is noticeable but minimal", but anyone who's seen or used one will tell you it's a crazy big difference.  Whether or not it's worth the other compromises you mention is up to personal opinion, but you should be able to see a significant difference.  If you can't it's just hard to believe that you're really seeing 144 Hz