Apple Reportedly Cutting iPhone 8 Production Already

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Really don't appreciate when people throw words in my mouth.

Hey, I was just quoting what you wrote. Not sure why people get pissed when called out

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

I see this way too often. At this point what do people expect in phones? What feature is missing that is making them uninovated? There is nothing that I look at my phone and say....ah....only if it did this. My S8+ gets everything I need done is no time.

Innovation for phones has stopped. Thats not a bad thing. Now its fine improvments, such as S835 improving battery by a shit ton while running cooler without increasing battery size, bezels getting small without losing features, addition security options like iris scanning while including FP scanning for optional security. There is only so much a device the size of your hand can do. Yet people like you expect so much from upcoming phones.

A physical keyboard, android and affordable (max 200 dollars)

Specs, don't care, size, don't care. All i want is an android phone with a physical keyboard.

I have an old LG C800, tweaked the sh*t out of it and it has been running solid for years and it has like 4-5 days of battery life. And it charges in like 2-3 hours because it's a 1500mah battery even with a crappy charger. I even went as far as ditching the browser and everything that's wifi related, google is nowhere to be found anymore. If i need something updated (which i don't really because it's permanently disconnected from the internet) i just download the APK and install it via the terminal.

The reason i haven't replaced it is because i don't have an option... BB has some but holy crap they are expensive (300+ dollars) and already getting old.

The only "option" i have that's "new" is the Samsung Folder 2, but i have to import the damn thing from south korea because that's the only place where it's sold...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

What feature is missing that is making them uninovated?

25 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Really don't appreciate when people throw words in my mouth.

Dealt with this before, not going to bother again.

23 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Hey, I was just quoting what you wrote. Not sure why people get pissed when called out

Well me personally, yeah the S8+ has been doing pretty well for me but all the other flagships and even the S8/S8+ is guilty of this and it is taking features away or focusing too many resources on something stupid. Coughs in Bixby

Cut and dry, I want to say the LG G6 is the least guilty of removing features but it's also guilty of not adding any.

To me what makes a lot of current smartphones "uninnovated" is largely the removal of features a long with the addition of features most people probably didn't care about.

If we look at Apple, since the iPhone 6 they have had the same basic design. Hell even the iPhone X is guilty of rehashing a design that has been pretty much with us since 2014 or something like that, and I mean the design isn't bad but surface level the easiest way to tell an iPhone 6/6s from an iPhone 7 is the camera.

I mean really the only noteworthy phones earlier this year was the Galaxy S8/S8+ and the LG G6, end of the year I think the iPhone X and Note8 are the noteworthy phones of the second half of the year. But that isn't saying much about either of those 4 phones.

I personally do agree, smartphones from last year and this year have been rather shitty. I hear the Pixel 2 and 2 XL are steaming piles of shite. I mean at least last year's pixel had a good camera I don't know about this years' Pixel.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

I see this way too often. At this point what do people expect in phones? What feature is missing that is making them uninovated? There is nothing that I look at my phone and say....ah....only if it did this. My S8+ gets everything I need done is no time.

Innovation for phones has stopped. Thats not a bad thing. Now its fine improvments, such as S835 improving battery by a shit ton while running cooler without increasing battery size, bezels getting small without losing features, addition security options like iris scanning while including FP scanning for optional security. There is only so much a device the size of your hand can do. Yet people like you expect so much from upcoming phones.

I get your point, we have a lot of features now. My main issue is that we now have manufacturers charging the same astronomical prices for half the innovation we got last year, which I think could be why we’re seeing a lot of this fatigue. 

OnePlus started on the right track with trying to bring us high quality, well featured phones without the crazy price tag, but they are starting to follow the upward price trend. 

IMO the iPhone 8 and the pixels are too much for too little. 

I have a 5s and honestly the battery performance is just insufficient. I have to bring two external batteries, worth about 5 full charges in total, and use battery saving mode in order for it to last an entire bus ride for a marching band trip (max 4 hours one way, with me using it maximum half of that time).

Im secretly hoping it breaks so I have an excuse to get a new phone :/ 

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

3 hours ago, SlipperyPete said:

i loved the phone at first but the performance dropped off hard, the body was easy to damage. the software got SO SLOW. i had to redo my finger prints many tiems to keep the reader fast-ish, had to reset the phone to prevent it being too slow. 

This was one of a few reasons I switched to iOS after having an S3, S4, S5, S6, and S7e.  iOS just works and is reliable.  I don't worry about battery life nearly as much, and I get actual bloatless OS that gets more  than one-per-life update.

For the OP, I'm skipping the 8 and staying on my 7 Plus.  Wireless charging would be nice (especially since I already have a bunch of charging pads from my S7e) but eh it's not really that big of a deal for me.  I'll wait until I see an X in an Apple Store to decide on that one.  The notch in the screen seems like it would OCD-me.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

For the OP, I'm skipping the 8 and staying on my 7 Plus.  Wireless charging would be nice (especially since I already have a bunch of charging pads from my S7e) but eh it's not really that big of a deal for me.  I'll wait until I see an X in an Apple Store to decide on that one.  The notch in the screen seems like it would OCD-me.

Seems like a sensible decision. I was planning to wait for the X but my 6 died on me - camping weekend was the final straw! I got the 8 plus, and am happy with everything about it except what I'm paying. £100 less and I probably would have felt like it was worth it.

Assuming it's true (there's a chance it's wrong), it definitely underscores the conundrum Apple created for itself.  The 8 is supposed to be the bread-and-butter model that caters to everyone who buys a new phone the moment their contract is up, but the iPhone X is proving just too tempting.  And I think Apple's in a bit of a pickle if so, because it just doesn't have the production levels to handle so many people passing over the 8 in favour of the X.

One thing's for sure: if you want an iPhone X, you'd better order it at midnight Pacific on the 27th... otherwise, you're probably not getting one for weeks or months.

I think it’s a few things.

fatigue and confusion of having the 8 than the X. Which is actually 10...

no finger print scanner

less colors (and none of the most popular colors)

weird speaker bump on the screen

increased price

all those things seems small but enough of them and they turn off a big enough group of potential buyers. 

I call it the iPhone 7s because the only change is that it's faster (S means speed btw) and it can "wireless" charge or for people too lazy to plug a cable in, takes longer to charge and you can't put it up and still have it charging. 

oh, it has a glass back but 99% of people will slap a case on it, basically making it impossible to tell if it's the 7 or 8. (again, another reason its 7s not 8)

Camera is better but that's consistent with the S models.

-Amy Miyake

Not surprised, the 8 shouldn't even exist with those specs. Apple ripped off everyone who bought an 8 since it's basically a 7 with an A11 chip. All the real changes went into the 10.

@jammiescone Please update your post to meet TN&R Guidelines.

What is needed;

• add quotes and place them in quote box(s)
  • (optional) add a pic

You may review the guidelines at your leisure here;

Thanks

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Interesting that people aren't excited for the 8.  Why did the 7 offer over the 6 that made it more appealing than the 8 is over the 7?  tbh I would have expected the opposite trend - people resisting the 7, but anyone who did continuing on to the 8, etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 hours ago, kirashi said:

Facebook

There's your problem. Facebook is a menace to deep sleep for phones. Try uninstall the app (and all other Facebook related apps) and use the mobile site, it would have the same functionality without waking your phone up every 30 seconds.

An app such as A1 CPU will show you what states your CPU is residing in. If there isn't a bar called deep sleep or it takes up a small percentage you have a wakelock issue. Then you can try use Wakelock Detector to view what is keeping your phone from entering deep sleep. In most cases this will require root, however there is an option to use ADB to force give the app the required permission.

Hopefully I'll still be able to get my hands on an iPhone 8 Plus around November or December :D.

If the iPhone 8 family is doing poorly then it basically everybody's waiting for the iPhone X and i know some people "reviewers" like MKBHD told people to skip the 8 and go for the X.

As a potential first time customer, spending 1000 pounds on a new Phone is not on my To-Do List.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting that people aren't excited for the 8.  Why did the 7 offer over the 6 that made it more appealing than the 8 is over the 7?  tbh I would have expected the opposite trend - people resisting the 7, but anyone who did continuing on to the 8, etc.

I was more interested in the 8 than the 7.

Somebody in my flat upgraded from a 5S to an 8 so Apple is clearly convincing some people to upgrade but I have a feeling Apple was trying to go after iPhone 6 & 6S owners.

And nother person in my flat will upgrade from their 6 to an 8 in December.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

16 hours ago, wcreek said:

Well I mean yeah, people have gotten into the routine of keeping their phone close to an outlet.

I mean that's the thing about my S8+ I love, if I'm not using it for sure from 100% it can last me almost 3 days and still have enough juice for a couple hours SoT.

I think I've gotten almost 2 days on battery and almost 4 hours SoT or something like that.

Wireless charging, it's cool I mean I want to get a charging pad for my S8+ but I mean considering the life I get out of it anyways and the fact that I have a 13,000mAh+ battery bank a charging pad is kinda not necessary as cool as it is.

I can see Apple ditching it for the 2018 iPhone(s)

Say that about battery life in a year. My S7 won't even get me through a day. Used to get a day no problem. Less than a year old, and it got laggy as hell when the S8 came out. 

17 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Just seems like a year of less than underwhelming or just plain shitty phones.

iPhone 8 was quite underwhelming albeit somewhat expected, the Pixel 2 and XL especially are kinda shit, and the chain kinda goes on.

LG V30 seems pretty cool to people like me who are really into video content production

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

2 hours ago, corsairian said:

Say that about battery life in a year. My S7 won't even get me through a day. Used to get a day no problem. Less than a year old, and it got laggy as hell when the S8 came out. 

My S6 didn't really see much of a noticeable performance hit after the S7 dropped, but when Nougat was released for the S6 I would say that's when I saw the most changes in performance. The battery was already starting to wear out and I'm sure the software didn't help.

See the S8+ charges quick enough on standard charging even for having a 3,500mAh battery. Like I said, if my S6 is anything to go by I can't really expect that much out of my S8+ but I really want it to age better because I think Samsung did a way better job the S8+ over the S6. Which I mean the fingerprint sensor placement is unfortunate but I've never had that much problem with it. At worse I mistake the heart rate sensor for the fingerprint sensor or my finger isn't directly over the sensor and smudges the camera lens a little.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

17 hours ago, Crossbred said:

I have a 5s and honestly the battery performance is just insufficient. I have to bring two external batteries, worth about 5 full charges in total, and use battery saving mode in order for it to last an entire bus ride for a marching band trip (max 4 hours one way, with me using it maximum half of that time).

Im secretly hoping it breaks so I have an excuse to get a new phone :/ 

It sounds like there is something seriously wrong there as I never had an issue like that with my old 5s.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I was more interested in the 8 than the 7.

Somebody in my flat upgraded from a 5S to an 8 so Apple is clearly convincing some people to upgrade but I have a feeling Apple was trying to go after iPhone 6 & 6S owners.

And nother person in my flat will upgrade from their 6 to an 8 in December.

That's why I don't think Apple is too worried, even though early 8 sales clearly aren't what Apple wanted.  The 8 is more for people whose contracts/instalment plans are up and they're just going to get whatever would be comparable to what they had before.  It may end up being more of a steady stream of upgraders than the rush of early adopters, and I suspect Apple misjudged things by assuming there would be a spike in 8 demand early on.

9 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

There's your problem. Facebook is a menace to deep sleep for phones. Try uninstall the app (and all other Facebook related apps) and use the mobile site, it would have the same functionality without waking your phone up every 30 seconds.

An app such as A1 CPU will show you what states your CPU is residing in. If there isn't a bar called deep sleep or it takes up a small percentage you have a wakelock issue. Then you can try use Wakelock Detector to view what is keeping your phone from entering deep sleep. In most cases this will require root, however there is an option to use ADB to force give the app the required permission.

Sadly, it only gave me about an extra 3-8% improvement. I even went as far as installing Facebook Lite and Messenger Lite, and turning off their notification services too, just so I could at least use the platform since FB/Messenger is how our friends communicate. Still resulted in poor battery life well below manufacturer's expectations. Sadly, I actually need the full versions of FB apps as my job involves managing 8+ FB pages and other social media platforms.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

13 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The 7 Plus had dual camera and OIS.  The 6S Plus didn't.  That was why I upgraded.  The 8 only adds wireless charging and a faster CPU but everything else is the same so "meh".

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Samsung's phone aged badly?? Not really surprised cos their OS is basically shit...

Also with the iphone 8 and iphone X came out, now it is the perfect time to buy a iphone 7/7+ because of the price drop. 

But the thing is this, the new chip is the deal breaker cos when apple update their OS later, it will utilize the shit out of the new bio chip. Thus the older gen will get a hit when it comes to performance.... That's my speculation. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Samsung's phone aged badly?? Not really surprised cos their OS is basically shit...

Also with the iphone 8 and iphone X came out, now it is the perfect time to buy a iphone 7/7+ because of the price drop. 

But the thing is this, the new chip is the deal breaker cos when apple update their OS later, it will utilize the shit out of the new bio chip. Thus the older gen will get a hit when it comes to performance.... That's my speculation. 

Considering my old 5s still runs pretty well, as does my 6s+, I wouldn't expect the A10 to show it's age for a while. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.