144 hz through HDMI 2.0b

Sleeper PC 2016
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
2 minutes ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

alright, so it can do it, but the monitor may not allow it

Yup :)

I’m planning on getting a budget 144 hz monitor on Black Friday but I noticed the ones for 200-300 dollars don’t have DisplayPort at all, only HDMI and DVI-D. Can HDMI 2.0b (That’s what the hdmi port on my 1060 is rated at) push 1080p at 144 HZ or is it 120 HZ at 1080p max according to the internet? I prefer not to use DVI if I have HDMI or DisplayPort available because of inconvienience screwing the connector in. 

2 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

reading the comments some people have issues getting above 70hz with hdmi

thats why im reluctant to use it, dvi requires screws andi have to fiddle with it when i move the pc

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

As long as the monitor is HDMI 2.0 compatible, I don't see why it couldn't. Unless the monitor actually limits the HDMI input.

they all pretty much are most likely. That means ill have to find a cheap hdmi 2.0b cable if i go hdmi. I have a dvi secondary monitor and its annoying to connect because the dvi cable i got is pretty thick and a bit difficult to connect rhe way my pc is placed

17 minutes ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

they all pretty much are most likely. That means ill have to find a cheap hdmi 2.0b cable if i go hdmi. I have a dvi secondary monitor and its annoying to connect because the dvi cable i got is pretty thick and a bit difficult to connect rhe way my pc is placed

no such thing as a hdmi 2.0 cable, its the same cable as a 1.4 cable, the difference is in the connectors, so both your graphics card and monitor need to support HDMI 2.0(2.0b just introduced HDR)

also doing some more googling HDMI only supports 120hz for 3d video and it doesnt support higher refresh rates, HDMI is a consumer connector, in reality you should be using DVI-DL or displayport for gaming, HDMI was designed for applications where high refresh rate isnt a concern like console gaming and watching movies/tv

having learned this i actually now wonder if my overclocked 70hz monitor is even showing me 70hz through my HDMI port, granted I have a 60hz office monitor but i do play games on it every once and a while

44 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

no such thing as a hdmi 2.0 cable, its the same cable as a 1.4 cable, the difference is in the connectors, so both your graphics card and monitor need to support HDMI 2.0(2.0b just introduced HDR)

also doing some more googling HDMI only supports 120hz for 3d video and it doesnt support higher refresh rates, HDMI is a consumer connector, in reality you should be using DVI-DL or displayport for gaming, HDMI was designed for applications where high refresh rate isnt a concern like console gaming and watching movies/tv

having learned this i actually now wonder if my overclocked 70hz monitor is even showing me 70hz through my HDMI port, granted I have a 60hz office monitor but i do play games on it every once and a while

ill stick to dvi then

1 hour ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

I’m planning on getting a budget 144 hz monitor on Black Friday but I noticed the ones for 200-300 dollars don’t have DisplayPort at all, only HDMI and DVI-D. Can HDMI 2.0b (That’s what the hdmi port on my 1060 is rated at) push 1080p at 144 HZ or is it 120 HZ at 1080p max according to the internet? I prefer not to use DVI if I have HDMI or DisplayPort available because of inconvienience screwing the connector in. 

58 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=hdmi_60hz_limit

21 hours ago, luigi90210 said:

again my point still stands, OP should be using displayport or DVI-DL for gaming

ill probably use dvi if displayport isnt an option. Also i noticed some dvi cables are like super thick while other cables aren't as thick. Does this have to do anything about the quality of the cable or is it just to jack up the price on the cable? I get all my cables used from a thrift store and i have no problems with them

6 hours ago, Sleeper PC 2016 said:

ill probably use dvi if displayport isnt an option. Also i noticed some dvi cables are like super thick while other cables aren't as thick. Does this have to do anything about the quality of the cable or is it just to jack up the price on the cable? I get all my cables used from a thrift store and i have no problems with them

make sure the DVI dual link cable you buy is thick otherwise its probably a single link cable in disguise, you will know if its single link or dual link when you go to use the cable and its only allowing you to do 1080p 60hz since single link dvi cant go above that