Google Pixel 2 XL: A Visual Catastrophe

vanished
12 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

When I hold my phone, my finger naturally rests where the V30 has the sensor--same as the 6P. I've also had first hand experience with the S8, wasn't a fan of the dimensions or placement.

When you disabled, it's just a pointless button and that's the problem. It should have been programmable, there is no possible way to justify a useless button on any device.

A lot of people Don't have issues with it. I personally do not as well. It's really up to preference but it isn't badly positioned

14 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

When I hold my phone, my finger naturally rests where the V30 has the sensor--same as the 6P. I've also had first hand experience with the S8, wasn't a fan of the dimensions or placement.

When you disabled, it's just a pointless button and that's the problem. It should have been programmable, there is no possible way to justify a useless button on any device.

If you prefer the V30 placement I cant argue that. I just prefer the S8s. Dimensions are much better though as its skinnier and easier to hold. 

But for the button. Yeah it cant be programmed, but even if disable and there is no use for it, its not hurting anything, its not in the way and if accidentally bumped is not triggering anything. Its not that big of a deal.

4 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

It's funny that my XZ Premium's IPS LCD display looks better :)

My Lumia 650's display is beautiful imo, only OLED I've ever had and I really like it :D The only oddity is due to the diamond design or whatever it's called, certain colours make vertical and horizontal lines look best while making diagonal lines look pixelated (what you would expect to see on any normal display), while other colours tend to make diagonal lines look good while making vertical and horizontal lines look pixelated.  Odd, but not a big deal imo and isn't a colour-related issue like the Pixel seems to be having.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, laminutederire said:

A lot of people Don't have issues with it. I personally do not as well. It's really up to preference but it isn't badly positioned

Exactly. Going back to my 6P it felt like I was cramping my hand to reach it. With the S8+ even, I feel like its more natural. But like you said its personal preference. 

1 hour ago, Sniperfox47 said:

[...] And no, it's nowhere near as green as that picture makes it out to be >.> [...]

To be fair the article does say that in person you don't notice it nearly as much as you do in the photo, but the point remains it really is that different since the camera is picking it up.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

To be fair the article does say that in person you don't notice it nearly as much as you do in the photo, but the point remains it really is that different since the camera is picking it up.

Assuming that the setup was entirely scientific, and that you had a properly calibrated imaging sensor on the camera with no colour bias, set for the sRGB color space? Yeah. Also assuming that the version they got was identical to the retail version, which based on some of the other reviews online doesn't seem to be the case.

But "It doesn't look this bad in person" and "this picture is representative" are kind of mutually exclusive. I've held one and played with one at a bestbuy here in town. It's nowhere near that noticable. The colours were more akin to my pixel XL with sRGB mode enabled, if anything it turned more amber than green. Which is to say they were more colour accurate to the sRGB space, if not to how developers intend for you to see them.

I'll see in a few days when I get my personal one, but in the 20-30 minutes I played with a retail one in store, it's nowhere near as bad as reviewers experienced.

already dosent have a headphone jack so im not even a little interested in the phone personaly

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

[...] But "It doesn't look this bad in person" and "this picture is representative" are kind of mutually exclusive. [...]

Actually I'd say they can both be true quite easily.  Our brains are amazing at adapting to different lighting environments without it being that noticeable, but if you've ever forgotten to change the white balance between two scenes when shooting with a camera you will know how drastic the difference actually can be - a difference that absolutely does exist, but not one you will really notice when looking at the two environments with your bare eyes.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Actually I'd say they can both be true quite easily.  Our brains are amazing at adapting to different lighting environments without it being that noticeable, but if you've ever forgotten to change the white balance between two scenes when shooting with a camera you will know how drastic the difference actually can be - a difference that absolutely does exist, but not one you will really notice when looking at the two environments with your bare eyes.

Also just for the record, the photo with both devices in a single image, at the top of the article clearly shows that in a single photo, there's not the same amount of difference between the two displays... If you take those two screens and overlay them they don't differ anywhere near as drastically as their slider bar, nor does the XL 2 show anywhere near that level of greens...

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

Also just for the record, the photo with both devices in a single image, at the top of the article clearly shows that in a single photo, there's not the same amount of difference between the two displays... If you take those two screens and overlay them they don't differ anywhere near as drastically as their slider bar, nor does the XL 2 show anywhere near that level of greens...

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with that tbh...

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I'm not sure what's going on with that tbh...

I'm a Google fanboy so take what I say with a grain of salt, but this article reads like somebody with an agenda setting out to prove a point. There are plenty of problems with the XL 2's screen, the annoying blue tinge when you angle the phone due to the circular polarizer being my biggest peeve, but this article from the Verge seems to kind of skew facts.

3 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

For zoom and the effects.

That is all just gimmicky stuff IMO.I have never used it on my iphone 7 plus.But yeah I agree with most pepole that Google has lost touch of what their consumers want and there just being a Apple

My life

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

I'm a Google fanboy so take what I say with a grain of salt, but this article reads like somebody with an agenda setting out to prove a point. There are plenty of problems with the XL 2's screen, the annoying blue tinge when you angle the phone due to the circular polarizer being my biggest peeve, but this article from the Verge seems to kind of skew facts.

It's possible, but I don't think that's necessarily what's going on here.  Checking other content by the author it doesn't look at all like he's a Google anti-fanboy or anything, and Ars Technica also found issue with the display: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/pixel-2-and-2-xl-review-the-best-android-phone-you-can-buy/2/#h1

3 minutes ago, Himommies said:

That is all just gimmicky stuff IMO.I have never used it on my iphone 7 plus.But yeah I agree with most pepole that Google has lost touch of what their consumers want and there just being a Apple

Well if the zoom was actually useful it certainly wouldn't just be a gimmick, but sadly all the implementations I've seen use crappy glass for the zoom lens making the images actually no sharper than just cropping the normal camera's shots (what digital zoom does).

That fake depth of field effect though... yeah, that is a gimmick :P

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's possible, but I don't think that's necessarily what's going on here.  Checking other content by the author it doesn't look at all like he's a Google anti-fanboy or anything, and Ars Technica also found issue with the display: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/pixel-2-and-2-xl-review-the-best-android-phone-you-can-buy/2/#h1

The display should be the least of their problems.On the Hardware side they literally do not have anything unique

My life

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

use crappy glass for the zoom lens making the images actually no sharper than just cropping the normal camera's shots

I think that has to do more with phones up until the Note 8 using OIS on the normal camera and not on the zoom camera.....where you know it 10000x more important. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

I think that has to do more with phones up until the Note 8 using OIS on the normal camera and not on the zoom camera.....where you know it 10000x more important. 

Could be that too but I like to think I can tell the difference between motion blur and "overall" blur, and yeah, I stand by my statement :P

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah and that Ars Technica article mentions the same issues as everyone else, which I said earlier are legitimate issues.

Washed out colours: It falls under the "it's not a bug, it's a feature" catagory. Since Oreo supports color profiles, which Vivid mode already uses, they can add a "Vivid Mode +++++++" to "fix" it.

Grainy display when at low brightness settings: Happens when the screen brightness is low, and is an issue with the pOLED panels so can't be easily fixed in software.

And then there's the blue tinting issue they didn't mention, where due to the circular polarizer oblique viewing angles cause the screen to tint blue.

The Verge article mentions a bunch of issues that aren't mentioned in any other review, that I didn't notice with devices in person, and that their own photos are inconsistent about...

7 minutes ago, Himommies said:

The display should be the least of their problems.On the Hardware side they literally do not have anything unique

There's a single image processing chip that's not even enabled? :P and their dual pixel camera sensor xP

But yeah, it's a super boring phone. I'm seriously debating returning mine, and I've had literally every Nexus device, including getting both the 5X and 6P...

1 hour ago, laminutederire said:

Yeah, preference. I mean if I had an S8, I'd eventually get used to it. :D

wow lol. Def a deal breaker for me! No thanks lol

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

5 hours ago, Swatson said:

This is why Samsung can demand the price it does for the iPhone X OLED panels, LG can't compete...YET.

The chinese brands don't seem to have this problem. And iirc samsung has a patent on AMOLED so LG can't really mirror them - they need to come up with something new.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

The chinese brands don't seem to have this problem. And iirc samsung has a patent on AMOLED so LG can't really mirror them - they need to come up with something new.

LG has come up with something else, how do you think these panels exist? It's just not good yet.

BTW I think it's super amoled that samsung has not just amoled in general.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I do not regret buying the original Pixel XL.

Apparently it has a better screen, similar camera with apk download, same software experience, and a headphone jack.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

11 minutes ago, Swatson said:

LG has come up with something else, how do you think these panels exist? It's just not good yet.

BTW I think it's super amoled that samsung has not just amoled in general.

I meant something new because what they are doing now doesn't work :P 

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I meant something new because what they are doing now doesn't work :P 

Apple has partnered with LG for OLED panels, so I'm assuming they are going to improve.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-07/apple-lg-said-to-discuss-oled-deal-for-supplies-starting-2019

http://www.theinvestor.co.kr/view.php?ud=20170728000297

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount