your thoughts on ubuntu 17.10

what are your thoughts on it?

so far for me, it's awful. i really liked unity. it was smooth, and subtle. 

the problem with gnome for me, is that it runs awful on my linux laptop.

the specs of that are:

dual core pentium 2.10ghz t4300

4gb ram

geforce 310m

60gb ssd

all i get are stutters and hangs everytime i click something. if i click the menu icon to show all my apps, it freezes for 2 seconds, and then stutters back into action. 

i've installed the nvidia drivers for it, so that's not the problem. also, on Windows, i can play COD modern warfare 3 on it on low settings, so it's not lack of gpu horsepower either. 

on unity, everything's really smooth. this happens on all gnome desktop distro's for me. 

i really think canonical made the wrong choice of desktop here. 

She/Her

I use 16.04 LTS and it runs well on modest hardware. I upgraded it to 17.10, and was displeased, it really was a hog, so I went back to 16.04 LTS

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

No problems so far, have been testing it out since early beta. Been a fan of gnome not the Ubuntu version though so I installed a fresh base version of gnome instead of the bundle one. Other than that can't complain.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[DESKTOP] CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k GPU: ASUS ROG 2080TI RAM: 64GB Corsair Fury DDR4 Mobo: Asus z390-A Prime

Storage:1x 1TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD 2x 1TB WD Black SSD, 2x 3Tb Seagate  HDD PSU: Seasonic 950W

Monitors: 2x Asus TUF Gaming 24" 1440p  144hz, 2x LG  75Hz 1080p LED

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[SERVER/NAS] CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Mobo: Asus z-170P D3

Storage:1x 1TB Western Digital SSD, 4x Ironwolf Pro 12Tb HDD, 2x 2TB WD Blue  PSU: Thermaltake 650W

[LAPTOP (MacBook Pro 16")] CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, RAM: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, SSD: 2 TB

GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB Display: 16-inch (3072 x 1920)

You can still use Unity with it if you so desire.

As for me, Unity has never been particularly smooth in my experience and I welcome the change back to gnome (although I don't personally use ubuntu anymore). It's more customizable and flexible overall and it should be less resource intensive, so perhaps there's a specific problem with your configuration.

Either way, if you're going ubuntu I think you should use Ubuntu MATE, which in my experience is the most polished version and is also less demanding.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You can still use Unity with it if you so desire.

As for me, Unity has never been particularly smooth in my experience and I welcome the change back to gnome (although I don't personally use ubuntu anymore). It's more customizable and flexible overall and it should be less resource intensive, so perhaps there's a specific problem with your configuration.

Either way, if you're going ubuntu I think you should use Ubuntu MATE, which in my experience is the most polished version and is also less demanding.

well in my experience gnome has always been a laggy piece of crap for me.... 

She/Her

Just now, gabrielcarvfer said:

Try Ubuntu Mate, as Sauron suggested. Mate is a fork of Gnome 2, that is super easy to use and lightweight. (If you actually try it out and hate that green colour, you can change it easily https://askubuntu.com/questions/702542/change-color-of-ubuntu-mate-15-10)

i used ubuntu Mate for a while. had issues with vsync, compiz, and broke due to an update. 

She/Her

I switched to Pop!_OS, which is based off of Ubuntu 17.10, and I have been really happy with it.  It uses the Gnome desktop, and they ship two different versions, one with the proprietary Nivdia drivers running, and one without for all other graphics options.   

the only thing I hate is when I press windows key it should be all the windows I have open rather than a list of things I have installed. I'm sure there is gnome tweet but I don't find it.

I also have a few bugs one where it keeps adding my network printer and showing me a notification and one where notifications sometimes stick open at the top. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

As a long time Unity fan (yeah, actually I switched to Ubuntu back in 2013 due to it) I also really hated the decision at first. While I have transitioned to GNOME on Fedora which runs terribly on X11 but perfectly smooth on Wayland, I now install KDE (Manjaro or Antergos) on lower-end devices. It may sound ridiculous but Plasma/KDE is a very smooth DE these days. MATE, XFCE and even LXQT are great desktops but their lack of Wayland support is off-putting at least for me. Also, if you still decide to keep GNOME, try out the "Impatience" extension to speed up animations and the "Shelltile" extension for tiling support (and thus Quad Tiling, to!).

Still wondering what is going on with Unit Desktop (Unity 7 Fork) and Yunit Desktop (Unity 8 Fork).

OP just install arch linux + xfce. It's light and fast.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

17 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

OP just install arch linux + xfce. It's light and fast.

i run Windows as a daily. i only need linux rarely, so it really doesn't matter what i use. 

i will agree that xfce is really fast. arch is a little unreliable and complicated though.. 

She/Her