I overclocked my i5-4690k

elert

Hello Guys!

Yesterday I OC'd my i5-4690k from stock 3,5GHZ to 4,5GHZ with 1.290 volts. The reason why I OC'd was because I've been playing Battlefield 1 lately and had bad lags, framedrops, stutter etc.

After OC'ing I still had these issues and sometimes my computer would crash giving me a buzz sound in my headset and ending up in a red screen before i had to manually restart or it doing it by itself. Even though I was playing on Low settings I experienced low fps / framedrops. I nearly lost my mind! The CPU was working at 100% load as soon as I started a game, all the time.

So I ended up turning up the frequency a tiny bit to 1.295v and this seems to have fixed it. The last few games I played had an almost 100% stable 60FPS on Ultra settings! (hooraay). The CPU is now running at like 85-90% load.

However, this is my first time overclocking anything and Im nervous im going to break something.

What are your thoughts on this, am i safe with my OC? Would I benefit from adding more voltage to the CPU?

Temps when ingame (90% load or so) = 70-75C and 35-39C when idle.

GPU chills at 60-70C and is a R9 390 - non overclocked 

There is an inherent risk anytime you push something above manufacturer specifications, but you should be fine with your current overclock. I have my i5 4690k running at 4.7 GHz @ 1.3v and have no issues at all.

voltage and temps look good, so i'd say don't worry

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

6 minutes ago, CatsAurora said:

There is an inherent risk anytime you push something above manufacturer specifications, but you should be fine with your current overclock. I have my i5 4690k running at 4.7 GHz @ 1.3v and have no issues at all.

3 minutes ago, Glennieboyyy007 said:

voltage and temps look good, so i'd say don't worry

Out of curiosity is there more headroom when it comes to adding frequency or is the 1.300 mark pretty much about as high as one should go?