AMD new or used XEON for Server

Go to solution Solved by heimdali,

I´d go with Xeon and buy a used server:

Pre-compiled software is often times optimized for Intel CPUs, and I would advise against using Gentoo for a server because it can turn into a nightmare to maintain.

A pre-built server is as hassle free as you can get, they are certified for a number of operating systems, and you can be quite sure that the components all work together and nothing suddenly gives you weird problems that are difficult to deal with.  It goes as far as like having the right firmware version on the disks you´re using.

That´s something very easily underestimated.  So it´s likely the best option when you´re looking for reliability, performance and efficiency, including power efficiency.  I wouldn´t recommend buying anything older than Gen7 (or whatever compares to that from other manufacturers).  They don´t cost 20 or 30k, either.

Everything else depends on the exact usage you have in mind.  Web hosting and file hosting are rather wide applications, and they may better be seperated out to different machines because file hosting might require tons of disk space while web hosting might require a fast CPU --- plus a database server, which in turn may require fast storage (or even tons of fast storage, which is the point where things start getting expensive) --- and/or lots of RAM besides a fast CPU.  Depending on what kind of reliability you need, you may be looking at some sort of cluster ...

Hello there,

I know that xeons are best for Servers tahn i7 ,but how about amd as server (like Ryzen 7)

i dont know it got ECC or not,but for same price(used xeon) i can build a server using Ryzen and the benchmarks are  very good.

since i dont know there are more things to consider a server ,please let me know

AMD RYZEN 7 SERIES OCTA CORE PROCESSOR 1700X - WITH AM4 SOCKET, 20MB CACHE, UP TO 3.8 GHz

• Frequency: 3.8 GHz Precision Boost
  • 8 Cores/16 Threads UNLOCKED
  • Cache: 4 MB/16 MB (L2/L3)
  • Socket Type: AM4
  • Extended Frequency Range (XFR

14641 CPU BENCHMARK

Xeon E5472 Quad-core (4Core) Processor 3Ghz 1600 12mb x Two Processor (80W) (4+4 = 8Core)
Socket: LGA771
Clockspeed: 3.0 GHz
No of Cores: 4
Typical TDP: 80 W

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5472 @ 3.00GHz
7850 CPU BENCHMARK

You say that Xeon is better for server than i7 ... not exactly true in all cases. 

Sometimes even servers need high single core performance, and in that case some good i7 would help a lot.

I would go with Ryzen in your case ... you can get R7 1700 for under 300$ now. Brand new and all that. Pretty decent performance aswell.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

10 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Why not Naples?

means?

i am getting Refurbished Servers at 30K (say Xeon E5472)

same time

new ryzen 7 processor at 12K

and assuming all other stuff at 20K

whats the best option Used Xenon or AMd Build

Just now, BubblyCharizard said:

what are you using the server for?

web hosting , and want to use it for for file hosting in future

Just get the Ryzen. It is gonna be brand new after all, which means it has a warranty if something is wrong. If you spend your money on an used Xeon without warranty and something is faulty, you will have just spent your money and end up with no processor. Ryzen 7 does support ECC RAM, so no worries there. Also I'd suggest you get a 1700 instead of 1700X, because it is even better price for basically the same thing. Lower TDP as well. For a server, I would also suggest you to get a MOBO with dual LAN ports.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Go for a used LGA 1366 Xeon 5500/5600 system if going down that path, way better and just as cheap as what you're looking at.

Hm, why would that be better?

16 minutes ago, raxbg said:

Edit: Forgot to mention this isn't better than using Ryzen just better than Xeon 5400 because they cost the same combined with the reasons I gave below.

The Xeon 5400 generation doesn't support all virtualization features, uses DDR2 so is expensive and low capacity, rather high power draw and overall rather bad performance.

Advanced Technologies
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology ‡
No
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology ‡
No
Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ‡
Yes
Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) ‡
No
Intel® 64 ‡
Yes
Instruction Set
64-bit
Idle States
Yes
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology
Yes
Intel® Demand Based Switching
Yes
Thermal Monitoring Technologies
Yes

Xeon 5500/5600 generation supports all the virtualization features this is required by modern hypervisors and features they have, you can't do PCIe passthrough without VT-d for example. These also use DDR3 which is much cheaper and larger capacity and the CPU performance is that bad, plus there are 6 core options so you can kit out a 12 core server rather cheaply.

Advanced Technologies
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology ‡
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology ‡
Yes
Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ‡
Yes
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) ‡
Yes
Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) ‡
Yes
Intel® 64 ‡
Yes
Instruction Set
64-bit
Idle States
Yes
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology
Yes
Intel® Demand Based Switching
Yes

You can buy L5630 on ebay for $6 USD each, these are the ones I get. Only 4 cores but I don't need heaps for what I do and L are the low power versions at 40W TDP.

5600 series is just a slight revision and doubles the maximum ram capacity and added SSE4.2

16 minutes ago, raxbg said:

Well you're recommending a Ryzen because it has warranty - despite CPU's being 99.9999% reliable and these Intels being $50 for a hex core or less....

You're also recommending Ryzen for ECC support, despite there being no ECC AM4 boards. 

Also You can't really compare a CPU that now costs $10 from 2008 to a $290 CPU from 2017. 

It really depends on what his overall system budget is. You could get a used 5500/5600 system for $150 starting. 

The Ryzen system costs nearly double that for the CPU alone....about $600+ by the time you cost in the case, psu, memory, mobo, gpu (yes you need it with Ryzen), etc....

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

17 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Well you're recommending a Ryzen because it has warranty - despite CPU's being 99.9999% reliable and these Intels being $50 for a hex core or less....

You're also recommending Ryzen for ECC support, despite there being no ECC AM4 boards. 

Also You can't really compare a CPU that now costs $10 from 2008 to a $290 CPU from 2017. 

It really depends on what his overall system budget is. You could get a used 5500/5600 system for $150 starting. 

The Ryzen system costs nearly double that for the CPU alone....about $600+ by the time you cost in the case, psu, memory, mobo, gpu (yes you need it with Ryzen), etc....

so going with ryzen is a bad idea?

2 hours ago, Sailakki said:

so going with ryzen is a bad idea?

Not a bad idea, just theres more to it than just "Is this brand new expensive CPU better than this $10 one from 13 years ago?" 

IMO a 5500/5600 Xeon pre-built ex-lease server is a better investment for less money - however if you are ok with spending $600-800 on the server, then sure go a Ryzen - or the new Intel Coffee Lake's come with integrated graphics so no GPU needed. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

1 hour ago, Jarsky said:

IMO a 5500/5600 Xeon pre-built ex-lease server is a better investment for less money 

with the extremely big IF you don't care about efficiency or the power bill in general.

Since servers are running 24/7 and often with consistent loads this can eat up the money saved on the hardware in a few months.

Yup - thats where if power is more of a concern you stick to the L5xxx & E5xxx processors. 

Im running 6  X5xxx processors at home across 3 servers, and its not easy on the power thats for sure. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

with the extremely big IF you don't care about efficiency or the power bill in general.

Since servers are running 24/7 and often with consistent loads this can eat up the money saved on the hardware in a few months.

A L5630 uses less power than most current desktop CPUs though, old doesn't always mean power hungry. They may be less power efficient to performance ratio but that doesn't mean the actual usage is more or that you need the extra performance offered by newer generation hardware. You also don't have to go dual socket.

Edit:

Anadtech review for reference

https://www.anandtech.com/show/4193/cheap-and-low-power-server-cpus-compared/6 

I´d go with Xeon and buy a used server:

Pre-compiled software is often times optimized for Intel CPUs, and I would advise against using Gentoo for a server because it can turn into a nightmare to maintain.

A pre-built server is as hassle free as you can get, they are certified for a number of operating systems, and you can be quite sure that the components all work together and nothing suddenly gives you weird problems that are difficult to deal with.  It goes as far as like having the right firmware version on the disks you´re using.

That´s something very easily underestimated.  So it´s likely the best option when you´re looking for reliability, performance and efficiency, including power efficiency.  I wouldn´t recommend buying anything older than Gen7 (or whatever compares to that from other manufacturers).  They don´t cost 20 or 30k, either.

Everything else depends on the exact usage you have in mind.  Web hosting and file hosting are rather wide applications, and they may better be seperated out to different machines because file hosting might require tons of disk space while web hosting might require a fast CPU --- plus a database server, which in turn may require fast storage (or even tons of fast storage, which is the point where things start getting expensive) --- and/or lots of RAM besides a fast CPU.  Depending on what kind of reliability you need, you may be looking at some sort of cluster ...

20 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Yup - thats where if power is more of a concern you stick to the L5xxx & E5xxx processors. 

Im running 6  X5xxx processors at home across 3 servers, and its not easy on the power thats for sure. 

X5xxx processors at home across 3 servers

which purpose are u using those for?