Asus believes Coffee Lake should work on Z270

NumLock21
13 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Extra pins are for power, they are not lying. Just because Asus says, "yeah they could probably get it to work" is not equivalent to "yeah it will work 100%". 

did you even read the article? they said it worked and that Z270 would have worked it intel let them make Z270 work

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

3 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

did you even read the article? they said it worked and that Z270 would have worked it intel let them make Z270 work

His point is that, just because it will run, does not necessarily mean it worked well or to the standards that Intel was expecting for the chips.

10 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

so this is Intel decision to fu*k end users up into buying a new board

thanks Intel

Just how many end users will be buying a z370 board from a z270? I'm going to say not many. I don't think Intel is fu*king end users by this at all. Besides, wouldn't z370 make 3 generations on a baord/processor cycle? Intel has never done 3, only 2.

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

who cares plain and simple, this is asus they have been going downhill on quality anyways

whiners complain about anything now days

you can afford a new cpu but cant afford new motherboard?, besides the fact you just have 1-2yr old cpu anyways and you need to upgrade, sounds like spoiled whiners too me

wonder how many of these whiners actually get new phone every yr or new gpu every yr

amd this, nvidia that, intel hit me with a wiffle ball bat.

all whining and entiltlement now days

8 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Where did they say it worked?

Again we keep using terminology like "confirmed" and "it worked" as if they literally have an 8700k running on Z270 right now.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Where did they say it worked?

Again we keep using terminology like "confirmed" and "it worked" as if they literally have an 8700k running on Z270 right now.

not to mention consistent performance

isnt this the same company that stated mce is off by default on all their mobos which has been proven wrong many times?

Intel... forever rubbing salt into the wounds (theirs).

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

It's totally possible mobo manufacturers could pull a dick move and make if so that b350 or a320 chipset based mobos won't end up getting zen2 bioses or whatnot while x370 will.

I understand the sentiment but wouldn't call it a dick move if they did exactly that. At least in Intel's case they're adding 2 additional cores so power requirement is a thing and only z/x series mobos are designed to deliver it, although not sure if it would mean a limited OC with an older z270 board (probably not, or only with something like exotic cooling chapionships etc ?) i have no idea.

Either way, it is a bit unfair to people who already built a system on their unlocked consumer/gaming lineup, and would be willing to pay for an 8 series upgrade (assuming any of this is 100% confirmed and true lol), they should be allowed to do so.

Most people build a PC want it to last a while, and to remove/replace your mobo is literally the last thing anyone wants to do. Why are they forcing an annoying and expensive MOBO upgrade if they don't need to, at least on the oc boards. If at all possible, they really should make their current lineup of coffee lake chips compatible with at least the z170 and 270, and maybe even earlier lga 1151 platforms if they can. Probably sell a lot more chips that way, make the whole major upgrade process a lot more organic too.

Now if only they'd come up with a usb flash solution to keeping your current OS install and registry between such upgrades. We can swap out gpus easy, why not the CPU as well ?

3 minutes ago, strat guy said:

Most people build a PC want it to last a while,

Exactly, and thats why if you bought 170 or 270 there is no need to upgrade for a few years. Its like people think this is a must to upgrade constantly. 

Why are they forcing an annoying and expensive MOBO upgrade if they don't need to

Forcing because power requirements 170 and 270 dont have. Physical limitations, not forcing. 

maybe even earlier lga 1151 platforms if they can

Hahahaha....oh wait you are serious. 

4 minutes ago, strat guy said:

Now if only they'd come up with a usb flash solution to keeping your current OS install and registry between such upgrades. We can swap out gpus easy, why not the CPU as well ?

not one thing you want in this statement has to do with the CPU. Thats all OS and kernal. 

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

That's my whole beef with the thread title, it's all hypothetical, nothing has been confirmed.

Edited it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

11 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Edited it.

Thanks. I know what you meant after reading the OP, it was just getting agitating when people were taking the title at face value. It's become a pet peeve of mine since big news outlets purposely title articles to be misleading every day.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

47 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Exactly, and thats why if you bought 170 or 270 there is no need to upgrade for a few years. Its like people think this is a must to upgrade constantly. 

That we'll know only in a year or two. What if there's a big title, maybe 2077 or something else people would build new systems around released that levarages the extra cores enough for some people to want an easy upgrade ?

51 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Forcing because power requirements 170 and 270 dont have. Physical limitations, not forcing. 

Again, assuming that the Asus guy actually did confirm that the current lineup of CL processors can work just fine on z270, those who are willing to pay for the new chip should be given the chance to upgrade.

56 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Hahahaha....oh wait you are serious. 

Maybe a little, but a smoother upgrade path is something we all want, right ? So you lose Optane and M.2 support as you go further back, still...

58 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

not one thing you want in this statement has to do with the CPU. Thats all OS and kernal. 

It was a rant by the end of it. :P

Not complaining, unless 2077 will suck on Kaby Lake, if it comes out within the next few years anyway.

So absolutely no new information, just a reconfirmation from ASUS.

The question still is, is Intel being genuine with their comments on power delivery? We know high end boards are capable, is the concern low end boards? Or is the average Internet forum user correct and Intel is just money hungry?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

4 minutes ago, Suika said:

We know high end boards are capable, is the concern low end boards?

Where is confirmation that it work 100% on higher end boards? There are physical real pins that now are being used for extra power. This isnt just a money grabs. Even IF it was where low end boards couldnt handle it than its still good that intel canned it because if it worked on high end only than people would either bitch that now they have to buy a higher end mobo on z270 which would be retarded or complain that their mobo still doesnt work.

In the end no matter what intel does they are the enemy to most. 

instead of talking about it ... you asus..... should do something about it .... intel doesnt have to know.... just release a new bios ... like u do all the time .....and fix this z370 nonsense...

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

22 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Where is confirmation that it work 100% on higher end boards? There are physical real pins that now are being used for extra power. This isnt just a money grabs. Even IF it was where low end boards couldnt handle it than its still good that intel canned it because if it worked on high end only than people would either bitch that now they have to buy a higher end mobo on z270 which would be retarded or complain that their mobo still doesnt work.

It’s literally in the original post. ASUS confirmed that their Z270 boards could work with the new Coffee Lake processors and that the additional pins don’t mean that much when the current VRMs can handle the extra power draw just fine. My post is just asking how legitimate Intel’s concern actually is when plenty of boards are capable, and just how bad are these low end boards that Intel’s concern is valid?

I’m not disagreeing with the move, Intel’s just not being very transparent about the decision so it’s very easy for the users on these forums (who graduated top of their class at some engineering school /s) to make assumptions. ASUS, who’s very well known for their quality customer service, is confirming their boards are of high enough quality that the additional power requirements of Coffee Lake are negligible to what their boards can handle, making matters even worse for the discussion.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

4 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

See right about now it would be useful to Asus to enable Z370 backwards compatibility: People know that they'll upgrade to Coffee Lake but can't actually buy the chips today, but they can buy the boards so why not upgrade the platform first using your 6700/7700k and drop in the coffee lake chip early 2018?

Because intel done fucked up.

With the exception of hard core overclocker's and nutcases who buy a whole new top end system every year anyway (less than 1% of enthusiasts), very few will upgrade just for the CPU from one gen to the next.  Andrew even said that in the article: "Usually, the kind of customers that already have a Z270 board will probably not upgrade for this generation." and  "It’s logical that many people on Z270 don’t need to upgrade." ,  almost all upgrade threads are for systems at least 3 years old and all polls lead to the the same conclusion: hardly anyone is going to upgrade their KBL to CL and so this issue effects almost no one.

So, even if Asus could make it work, I can't see them building a board that practically invalidates the Intel warranty and is very expensive just for a handful of customers.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

32 minutes ago, mr moose said:

With the exception of hard core overclocker's and nutcases who buy a whole new top end system every year anyway (less than 1% of enthusiasts), very few will upgrade just for the CPU from one gen to the next.  Andrew even said that in the article: "Usually, the kind of customers that already have a Z270 board will probably not upgrade for this generation." and  "It’s logical that many people on Z270 don’t need to upgrade." ,  almost all upgrade threads are for systems at least 3 years old and all polls lead to the the same conclusion: hardly anyone is going to upgrade their KBL to CL and so this issue effects almost no one.

So, even if Asus could make it work, I can't see them building a board that practically invalidates the Intel warranty and is very expensive just for a handful of customers.

Actually they wouldn't do it because it would invalidate Intel's warranty. It probably isn't that expensive for them (you're going off the assumption that this is very complicated to support which the article in the OP seems to challenge) and Asus is big enough that they could justify that on their top of the line launch: we're talking boards that have a silly price tag and silly extra features (Seriously how many people really need LN2 oriented features in their motherboards? At the very least far less than my scenario)

-------

Current Rig

-------

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Actually they wouldn't do it because it would invalidate Intel's warranty. It probably isn't that expensive for them (you're going off the assumption that this is very complicated to support which the article in the OP seems to challenge) and Asus is big enough that they could justify that on their top of the line launch: we're talking boards that have a silly price tag and silly extra features (Seriously how many people really need LN2 oriented features in their motherboards? At the very least far less than my scenario)

I didn't make any assumption about complication at all, Andrew said they couldn't because Intel locked it:

bit-tech: So if you wanted and Intel let you, you could make Z270 compatible?

Andrew: Yes, but you also require an upgrade from the ME [Management Engine] and a BIOS update. Intel somehow has locked the compatibility.

Either way,  very few people are looking to upgrade one gen of CPU let alone pay for a ROG mobo that doesn't have Intel support to do so.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Asus also advertised that their X99 Deluxe boards overclocked much better because they had extra pins in the socket which wasn't the case. 

That was for uncore cache frequency. Regular 2011-3 would top out around 3.8. With the OC socket I can run 4.9GHz uncore.

18 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Love it how they say that most people on the z270 motherboard wouldn't want to upgrade to the i7 8700k anyways. I can see a lot of people wanting the extra 2 cores tbh.

Even better, someone with a B150 board who has a 6400 wants to upgrade.

8700 is impossible, because intel are douchebags, so he has to settle for a 7700

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Why is this stupid thread still going, the article was click bait he even admitted himself it would likely cause issues down the line in the interview if intel had allowed this idiots would try to run an 8700k on the lowest priced 170 or 270 board available and when it didn't work would they blame the shit board manufacturer, no they'd blame intel. It's not as if ASUS is trustworthy for information either or did people not learn that when the 370 boards launched.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

10 hours ago, pas008 said:

lol for the small percent of people that want compatibility lol

Not the point. Every little bit adds up and Intel's moves since the launch of Ryzen have been error upon error in terms of public image.

49 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Not the point. Every little bit adds up and Intel's moves since the launch of Ryzen have been error upon error in terms of public image.

You May be a hater or fanboy

I don't see anything done wrong by either company considering many releases by both companies have had their fair share of issues

i see an exciting competition and companies turning it up 

1 hour ago, ravenshrike said:

Business Pragmatism vs Idealism, that is to say not providing backwards/forwards compatibility due to the extremely small and niche market segment that would benefit from Intel doing so (e.g. people that upgrade every generation), and thus also avoiding risks caused by factors more-or-less out of their control (that is to say, lower-end Z270 boards not working properly, and hurting Intel instead... they would get a LOT more flak if that happens).

The added benefit of forcing said aforementioned niche market segment to buy new processors (those who would have wanted to keep their Z270 mobos) and motherboards is good for both Intel and the motherboard manufacturers (because now they have to spend more $$$).

Thus, Intel kills 3 birds with 1 stone xD.