Asus believes Coffee Lake should work on Z270

NumLock21
5 hours ago, Ezilkannan said:

True that, but I doubt Zen refresh / Zen 2 would give any drastic performance gains against Zen. We may get to see some IPC improvement, but I'm very skeptical. I doubt AMD will catch up to Intel in IPC or clock speed event at Zen 3

There is lots of simple to do things that that would rapidly improve ryzens ipc, one in faster IF which would be as simple as set it to the effective memory clock instead of the actual memory clock (2 times increase in frequency) that alone would help alot in latency bound cenarios like gaming, 

Frequency i don't dought that they can improve it a lot as they were the first to 5ghz on x86, and i don't even think they need to try hard as right now they are at 4ghz max 12nm is supposed to be 10% faster so around 4.4, and 7nm is made for 5ghz and in general is a higher performance focused node which again will help

2 hours ago, Ezilkannan said:

I am very skeptical with respect to IPC and single thread performance gains. Ryzen is behind/at Haswell right now. I wouldn't be surprised if Zen 2 is still behind Skylake.

that is what 10%-15% behind the latest intel in ipc (not counting games) and considering ryzen is on its first gen it wont be hard for amd to catch up

Just now, Trixanity said:

Probably more like they could make it work but Intel won't allow it and they need Intel to provide some prerequisite software updates (BIOS and Management Engine updates). What they're saying is that there is technically no reason for it to not work other than it needing a software update. The hardware is fine.

That's my understanding but I wanted to make sure I wasn't mistaken.

There is absolutely no confirmation that it works, even though we can reasonably assume that it theoretically should.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

7 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

thanks Intel

This is going to be the next "Thanks Obama" whenever something goes wrong.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

19 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

That's my understanding but I wanted to make sure I wasn't mistaken.

There is absolutely no confirmation that it works, even though we can reasonably assume that it theoretically should.

I'll go out on a limb here and say they've might have tested and made it work in the lab but that the testing and validation required is too costly to bring to market especially with opposition from Intel. They probably also want to be on good terms with Intel.

It similar with the situation with the H81 and B85 were able to OC CPUs like the Pentium G3258

but Intel wasnt happy with AIB giving this feature

and Intel then release a microcode patch via WIndows Update to c*ck block OC on the H81 and B85 boards

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

7 hours ago, huilun02 said:

And yet existing AM4 will get Zen refresh and Zen 2. I'll take sense and whatever lapse that may or may not occur, over another company bent on squeezing my wallet dry. 

One thing, amd has only said AM4 will be supported. They never said b350 or whatever would be.

It's totally possible mobo manufacturers could pull a dick move and make if so that b350 or a320 chipset based mobos won't end up getting zen2 bioses or whatnot while x370 will.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

51 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Did I miss something?

Wouldn't that mean that they literally have Coffee lake running on Z270?

They mean it should work. Not that it actually works. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

21 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I'll go out on a limb here and say they've might have tested and made it work in the lab but that the testing and validation required is too costly to bring to market especially with opposition from Intel. They probably also want to be on good terms with Intel.

Definitely a possibility, but then again there could always be something that the guys at Asus don't know.

Maybe they'll do a joint confirmation of this and Half Life 3 in the near future.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

17 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

May I see the source por favor? Gracias.

And averages are a better way to do it like you said. I was basing my argument from PCPer's Cinebench 11.5 test run.

cb11-single.png

I skimmed through the rest of the article, but it looks like they only had 8 GB of DDR3 memory for some of the test benches and 16 GB of DDR4 clocked at 2133 for the others. In that case, it's not a very scientific comparison. :P

There you go

who cares plain and simple, this is asus they have been going downhill on quality anyways

whiners complain about anything now days

you can afford a new cpu but cant afford new motherboard?, besides the fact you just have 1-2yr old cpu anyways and you need to upgrade, sounds like spoiled whiners too me

wonder how many of these whiners actually get new phone every yr or new gpu every yr

13 minutes ago, pas008 said:

you can afford a new cpu but cant afford new motherboard?, besides the fact you just have 1-2yr old cpu anyways and you need to upgrade, sounds like spoiled whiners too me

wonder how many of these whiners actually get new phone every yr or new gpu every yr

Thats the savageness I like. This literally only affects people with tons of money that upgrade at every new release.

And y'all are still gonna buy it.

Doesn't fucking matter, you guys don't care about Ryzen despite the fact y'all like to circlejerk around it. Not defending anyone but this won't affect Intel's sales.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

this is kinda a cash grab from intel which sucks

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

2 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Did I miss something?

Wouldn't that mean that they literally have Coffee lake running on Z270?

it requires a bios update and a engine rework

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

3 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

this is kinda a cash grab from intel which sucks

lol so they are suppose to be oprah and just give away everything

or are they a business with stockholders?

13 minutes ago, pas008 said:

They are a business with stockholders. Stockholders are concerned with customer retention. The more dick moves that Intel makes, the more likely customers in the consumer space move to AMD. Intel's stockholders do NOT want the common layman thinking that Intel is full of assholes and that AMD puts out a cheaper product that is more than good enough for what they need.

54 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

And y'all are still gonna buy it.

Doesn't fucking matter, you guys don't care about Ryzen despite the fact y'all like to circlejerk around it. Not defending anyone but this won't affect Intel's sales.

Because there are some who will always want the best and Ryzen is not the best for gaming. It never will be for quite some time :|

28 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

They are a business with stockholders. Stockholders are concerned with customer retention. The more dick moves that Intel makes, the more likely customers in the consumer space move to AMD. Intel's stockholders do NOT want the common layman thinking that Intel is full of assholes and that AMD puts out a cheaper product that is more than good enough for what they need.

lol for the small percent of people that want compatibility lol

or the large percent that build and use for few yrs

if you are buying a motherboard for future upgrades you are doing it wrong anyways you buy for what you need now

everytime I buy cpu i buy mobo and many I know because of what they and I want now never for future compatibility

and for the record intels past mainstream platforms only guaranteed 2 gens and the last gen of cpus like ivy, dc (could argue broadwell but that was exception considering many didnt even buy with availablity) and kaby all had eol on chipsets

and how many versions of x99 are there that require newer mb for the newer cpus?

30 minutes ago, pas008 said:

no but they shouldn't lie to me about Z270 not working just so I buy a Z370 board so that extra money goes into pocket books. That is lying to your core audience and team blue fanboys how have already bought everything needed for a new coffee lake build maybe a hole new pc when they could have saved a few hundred dollars and maybe even gotten a better cpu or other component. 

1 minute ago, Eduard the weeb said:

no but they shouldn't lie to me about Z270 not working just so I buy a Z370 board so that extra money goes into pocket books. That is lying to your core audience and team blue fanboys how have already bought everything needed for a new coffee lake build maybe a hole new pc when they could have saved a few hundred dollars and maybe even gotten a better cpu or other component. 

the extra pins already proved to be there

and this is coming from asus that cant even get their motherboards correctly working right in first place

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

Extra pins are for power, they are not lying. Just because Asus says, "yeah they could probably get it to work" is not equivalent to "yeah it will work 100%". 

6 minutes ago, pas008 said:

the extra pins already proved to be there

and this is coming from asus that cant even get their motherboards correctly working right in first place

Asus also advertised that their X99 Deluxe boards overclocked much better because they had extra pins in the socket which wasn't the case. 

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Extra pins are for power, they are not lying. Just because Asus says, "yeah they could probably get it to work" is not equivalent to "yeah it will work 100%". 

That's my whole beef with the thread title, it's all hypothetical, nothing has been confirmed.

10 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

They also haven't stated how well it worked and whether it met to the standards that Intel has set. I can shove a 14-71 blower on a stock SBC doesn't mean it will run well and without issues.

See right about now it would be useful to Asus to enable Z370 backwards compatibility: People know that they'll upgrade to Coffee Lake but can't actually buy the chips today, but they can buy the boards so why not upgrade the platform first using your 6700/7700k and drop in the coffee lake chip early 2018?

Because intel done fucked up.

-------

Current Rig

-------