can i put normal ram in a server?

Go to solution Solved by LtStaffel,
1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes. ECC FBDIMM is only there for reliability reasons. If you're running a critical system this is something you want, but probably not important if you're just running a home server for passing files around.

Yes, you can. But please review the manual from the manufacturer of your given motherboard and check how much RAM it supports in what configurations at what speeds. It needs to have ECC to carry its very full capacity, so just, please, again, check the manual. It is very well documented (server stuff is awesome that way) and it's really important!

hello, just a quick question.

can i put normal DDR2 ram in a server? i'm talking a proper server here. a IBM X3650 from 2006. 
it currently has 8GB of ECC FBDIMM DDR2 in it, i want to take 2GB out, and put in 8GB of normal ram. will this work? 

She/Her

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Yes. ECC FBDIMM is only there for reliability reasons. If you're running a critical system this is something you want, but probably not important if you're just running a home server for passing files around.

Yes, you can. But please review the manual from the manufacturer of your given motherboard and check how much RAM it supports in what configurations at what speeds. It needs to have ECC to carry its very full capacity, so just, please, again, check the manual. It is very well documented (server stuff is awesome that way) and it's really important!

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

3 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

okay, sure. i was gonna test it anyways, but i'm lazy. so if everyone here said that it's not gonna work, i didn't have to bother plugging it in :) 

so yeah, i'll read the manual, and try it. 

She/Her

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

it's not even for that. i bought it to experiment with all this server stuff. raid cards and remote management and stuff. it was only €20 so... doesn't matter if it's unstable. 

She/Her

It will probably not work unless it is also registered ECC memory that is specifically compatible with that server model.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Never run across a server where you can mix and match, it's either all ECC or none.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

26 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It will probably not work unless it is also registered ECC memory that is specifically compatible with that server model.

citing from the manual of my machine: 

Memory:

Twelve DIMM connectors

Minimum: 1 GB

Maximum: 48 GB

Type: Fully buffered DIMM (FBD) PC2-5300 DIMMs only

Sizes: 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB (when available), in pairs

Chipkill™ supported

so i guess with my server it won't work...

She/Her

51 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

citing from the manual of my machine: 

Memory:

Twelve DIMM connectors

Minimum: 1 GB

Maximum: 48 GB

Type: Fully buffered DIMM (FBD) PC2-5300 DIMMs only

Sizes: 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB, or 4 GB (when available), in pairs

Chipkill™ supported

so i guess with my server it won't work...

Other brands may work, Chipkill is just what they've tested most likely. But yes, those other facts are why you check the manual. Glad you found that before buying or trying anything at least

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

8 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

Other brands may work, Chipkill is just what they've tested most likely. But yes, those other facts are why you check the manual. Glad you found that before buying or trying anything at least

i didn't buy anything yet. everything is from spare parts. the server itself cost me €20, so... i might upgrade the cpu though... 

She/Her

It is not recommended. I always use RAM on the tested/validated list for the server board.