AMD Raid Xpert2 (Raid config tool) raise some security concerns

Source: Infosec on the Threadripper NVMe Drivers, a Level1 Diagnostic

Apparently the AMD Raid Xpert2 will install XAMP with some oversights when it comes to security.

In a nutshell these are the important points:

• The apache webserver used to manage the drivers configuration not only binds to loopback addresses (127.0.0.1 or localhost) but also to your network adapter ip. This means you can access the apache server remotely.
  • The apache server runs with elevated privileges.
  • The apache server is not configured to block access to locations outside the manager application folder. This means you can have access to any file/folder and with elevated privileges well... you can pretty much execute anything you want remotely.
  • [Less important] the php version is a bit dated and have a few known security issues.

With all these combined it means you pretty much have your entire machine completely open after installing the drivers.

Wendel points out that we can always disable the apache service or change directory permissions on apache despite this being clearly a sloppy work from AMD.

Although this should not pose any major risk for more pro people (since they can quickly fix the security issues), It really can be an issue with less tech-savvy enthusiasts or people that don't put a lot of attention in these kind of details.

Edited by muddymind
Updated the thread title and 1st post content to reflect that Raid Xpert2 is the issue and not the threadripper NVMe drivers themselves. Kudos for @Legendarypoet for pointing that out.

It's the RAID Utility and not just NVMe drivers. Raid Xpert2 is used in more than just Threadripper.

Wasn't there enough reason to not use NVMe RAID?

Things like, y'know:

Expense

No real world benefit

Better ways of conducting ePeen contests

Expense

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Things like, y'know:

Expense

No real world benefit

Expense

Don't forget Expense

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Just now, sazrocks said:

Don't forget Expense

But did you consider, the COSTS?!

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

31 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Things like, y'know:

Expense

No real world benefit

Expense

This actually impacts anyone who uses RAID w/ AMD's RAID config tool. It isn't limited to NVMe, I think they just didn't bother testing outside of that use case.

Well that's the thing about Linux really: You might be able to get an awesomely talented engineer on Linux driver duty and while it might be relatively easy for him to get familiar enough with the environment to code drivers, it shows that you truly need someone who's not only a talented software engineer but well versed ìn Linux too.

It's hard to find too many of those that are well, not already working for Redhat, Oracle, Google, etc. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Have you considered the TCO of this solution?!

:P

TRj2b.jpg.5dc34e48660f7e4e24ec46219e7213c1.jpg

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Am I missing something, why is XAMPP needed to install a driver?  XAMPP is meant for setting up a quick and dirty dev environment for the LAMP stack.  

Xeon E3-1241 @3.9GHz, 1.07V | Asus Z97-E/USB 3.1 | G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB @1350MHz/2150MHz, 1.09V/.975V | Crucial MX100 256GB | WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM | EVGA 750W G2 80+ Gold | CM Hyper 212+ w/ Noctua F12 | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | Windows 10 Retail

1 hour ago, flipped_bit said:

Am I missing something, why is XAMPP needed to install a driver?  XAMPP is meant for setting up a quick and dirty dev environment for the LAMP stack.  

It provides the backbone for the web GUI. 

Why they used a web GUI, I dunno. I think the reason they made it like this is because of enterprise workstations that can leverage the use of a web GUI. Although most people hide behind a router that doesn't allow external connections to the local IP unless port forwarded, only the local network is exposed to one another. 

While it is indeed a security risk, it's only a security risk on the local network, unless you have UPNP enabled or something like that. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Things like, y'know:

Expense

No real world benefit

Expense

Except threadripper may be used in some high end workstation solutions where maximising throughput to a single drive or array is important. Things like 8k and 16k video editing, scientific modeling, and other such tasks. NVMe RAID is useless for consumer/prosumer but pretty useful for professional, enterprise, and academic use.

@muddymind please update your post to meet the News & Reviews Section Posting Guidelines.

You review the guidelines here;

Otherwise your post will be moved.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This seems like a really, really stupid thing.

Who in their right mind makes their driver control panel a web interface? That's bloated (and as discovered by Wendell, a security risk) beyond belief. Not to mention all the issues that might arise if you don't know about this and try to run a web server with RAID.

AMD truly are the kings of terrible drivers.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

This seems like a really, really stupid thing.

Who in their right mind makes their driver control panel a web interface? That's bloated (and as discovered by Wendell, a security risk) beyond belief. Not to mention all the issues that might arise if you don't know about this and try to run a web server with RAID.

AMD truly are the kings of terrible drivers.

In AMD’s defence, web-based management utilities are pretty much par for the course for hardware raid cards. ..

Just now, LinusTech said:

In AMD’s defence, web-based management utilities are pretty much par for the course for hardware raid cards. ..

Not sure if that's much of a defense in my eyes. It just means that a lot of companies are stupid.

Or maybe I'm the stupid one and there is some big benefit to having RAID management utilities on a web server that I can't think of.

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Not sure if that's much of a defense in my eyes. It just means that a lot of companies are stupid.

Or maybe I'm the stupid one and there is some big benefit to having RAID management utilities on a web server that I can't think of.

Ease of deployment. Also makes it easier to expose the control software to a third party like a system administrator who may need to monitor or control the RAID remotely.

Not defending it, it's a terribly insecure practice, but one that's pretty standard in the industry.

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Web based management isn't the issue though, it's the glaring security issue with this particular one. Being able to remotely manage things like this is extremely useful so long as it's not a liability to the system.

LSI RAID cards have had remote management for many many years, done properly(er/ish). Having to shutdown an ESXi host just to add a new disk to an array would be so annoying and disruptive without this ability.

5 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

@muddymind please update your post to meet the News & Reviews Section Posting Guidelines.

Updated the thread title and 1st post content to reflect that Raid Xpert2 is the issue and not the threadripper NVMe drivers themselves. I hope that makes the post compliant to all the guidelines. (Quotes from the original source rule is not applicable since it's a video and not a written article).

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Web based management isn't the issue though, it's the glaring security issue with this particular one. Being able to remotely manage things like this is extremely useful so long as it's not a liability to the system.

LSI RAID cards have had remote management for many many years, done properly(er/ish). Having to shutdown an ESXi host just to add a new disk to an array would be so annoying and disruptive without this ability.

But if it's an ESXi host then you should be able to remote into it.

No need to expose RAID controls to remote devices directly through a web interface. It just seems like a bad idea to do it over a web server.

(Please bear in mind I am not that involved with servers, and even less with RAID on servers)

17 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

But if it's an ESXi host then you should be able to remote into it.

No need to expose RAID controls to remote devices directly through a web interface. It just seems like a bad idea to do it over a web server.

(Please bear in mind I am not that involved with servers, and even less with RAID on servers)

LSI is a bit nicer in that it runs the remote tools on chip on the card, ESXi can only see the storage that the RAID card shows it so you need a way to configure that then using the ESXi management tools rescan your storage and extend the datastore using the new space that was allocated to the volume/array. LSI also has multiple different authentication methods that you can use to secure this remote management including LDAP.

Edit:

Also local only storage using a RAID card for ESXi is rather rare now days anyway.

Edit 2:

Sorry was wrong you need an on host daemon for the MSM to connect to, the RAID card does have on chip management but only for it's web bios that can be accessed only during booting.

So I've seen vid about it earlier today and was like 

3zveL5G.png

But yeah I guess it can easily get rectified.  

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |