How to test if my PSU is functioning properly?

likeaboz2002

So i have been recently having problems with my PC just spontaneously shutting off under heavy load. For more details, visit this thread 

Anyway, I think I have narrowed the issue down to the PSU. Thermal throttling isn't the cause because the temps don't go above 60 before the PC shuts down, and I have never had thermal throttling issues before. I believe it's the PSU because this only happens under heavy load (gaming), and everything else works fine. How could I test to make sure it is the PSU before I go out and buy a new one?

BTW here are my readings from speedfan

readings.png

Just now, Abyssal Radon said:

You could just buy a PSU, test your PC and see if the problem persists. Based off of your situation, I would probably point the issue at the PSU you have. This is fairly similar to what happened to my PSU I had, random lock ups when gaming. 

yeah, i think im gonna stop at microcenter on friday and pick up a new one. Maybe ill see if i can find my PSU warranty card, although i have had it for just over a year, so I may be out of warranty

You cant really test if the psu has unreliable voltages or cannot provide enough current without equipment.

You could try loading furmark and prine 95 small fft at the same time though. This should provide a worst case

power draw scenario and should shut your pc down if the psu is dodgy.

1 minute ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

You cant really test if the psu has unreliable voltages or cannot provide enough current without equipment.

You could try loading furmark and prine 95 small fft at the same time though. This should provide a worst case

power draw scenario and should shut your pc down if the psu is dodgy.

ok, ill try it. Thanks

What is your PSU you have now? Also, if you want a recommendation, currently I'm liking my Corsair HX1000i a lot. 

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hxi-series-hx1000i-high-performance-atx-power-supply-1000-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-psu

I have an EVGA 500w. I'm too broke for a Corsair PSU, especially that one lol. I also just found that I have a three year warranty, so Imma get it replaced

Perfect, good thing EVGA has a kickass warranty and RMA service with their products. Also, I have a feeling EVGA is a company that actually gives a shit to gamers and their PC's.

yup, im actually surprised that their psu failed lol. Im probably just super unlucky