Google Ditching a Planned Walking Calorie Counter in Google Maps Because of... Shaming?

PlayStation 2

Walking doesn't burn much calories. It's better than nothing. But please do some real exercise like running and fast cycling.

If people think because they walk half an hour or one hour a day, that gives them the right to eat an extra burger. Think again.

12 minutes ago, Deli said:

Walking doesn't burn much calories. It's better than nothing. But please do some real exercise like running and fast cycling.

If people think because they walk half an hour or one hour a day, that gives them the right to eat an extra burger. Think again.

Well the nice thing about this is it would tell you approximately (based on average calculations) how much that walk would burn. Instead of assuming you burned 200 calories you would realize you only burned like 50.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

so.. i'd be against this feature, not because it "shames" people, but because it takes up space on screen for something i absolutely dont give a shit about. if you wanna lose some weight, get a job in IT, drive to work, and wire up an office.

18 minutes ago, manikyath said:

. if you wanna lose some weight, get a job in IT, drive to work, and wire up an office.

This is totally true, you can also live forever by drinking lava ;)

This triggers me because it doesn't display the energy burned in joules and I identify with joulism. KCALS ARE THE ENEMY!

I used to be quite active here.

Why would it take 12 minutes to walk a little over half a mile, that is incredibly slow even for a fat person (such as myself) a full mile shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to walk, assuming the person isn't limping or something.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 hours ago, xtroria said:

It's simple human psychology. We are very objectively driven and we like to see a short term goal / checkpoint over the long term one.

Call it stupid of w/e but its been proven to work

This is absolutely accurate,  I use this techniques when dealing with angry narcissistic bosses,  You just tell them what they already know/think they know is the problem and tell them you have it covered and the issue will be resolved before it gets worse.  They receive instant goal achieval  and self gratification and you got all day to fix the issue without an angry boss carrying on like a disjointed bull with a broken ass.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

There’s a massive difference between mocking someone’s shortcomings and trying to help them. Yes, I am saying that fitness problems including eating disorders are usually due to personal failures of individuals to take care of themselves instead of a condition from genetic or similar exposure. After having gone through an overweight period in my life and since improved my body to become very healthy I can honestly say that for me fitness is a state of mind. Sure, I have a history of obesity in my family but it doesn’t make a difference in my ability to take care of myself. 

So yeah, having the mindset of ”Since you’re not me you can’t suggest that I change myself” is unhealthy in my opinion.

Its sad to me that google succumbed to this strange opinion on caloric information.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

Another confirmation of Google being out of touch with reality.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, Prysin said:

Google "James Damore"

Probably don't use Google though, use a third party search engine at least. DuckDuckGo works good.

10 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Personally, it seems a little stupid that people were getting all riled up at this. Honestly I think this would've been a neat feature. But that's just me; what do you think about it?

Oh boy! I just love railing against social justice warriors!

First of all I do not condone body shaming or ridiculing anyone based on body type or the kind of clothes they're wearing. I always believe that if you have nothing nice to say to someone, you might as well shut up. But this? It's actually very helpful for people who want to change themselves. America and many countries have an obesity epidemic and it is not something to be taken lightly. I actually appreciate tech companies doing their part in helping people become healthy. But this chick named Taylor Lorenz that Google is body shaming people and that the pink cupcake is targeted towards women? The fuck! 

<snip>

Edited by SansVarnic

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Not to just jump on the hate train, but let's look at this objectively.  Google adds health feature to help people loose weight and better track themselves. Response: Because it shows you the health data people feel uncomfortable.   Shouldn't by that logic we should ban exercise equipment and calorie counts on food because people feel shamed by it? How can anyone try and improve their health if we ban ways to help them?

6 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

fat shaming works. Deal with it.

Not really, sends fat people further down the spiral most likely actually. 

Fatshaming isn't going to help one iota, it's mostly an excuse for pieces of shit to be rude to fat people. Are you one of those jerks? If so they have a nice sociopathic community over at Voat. 

That being said I think this is ridiculous of course, kcal counting is always useful and they shouldn't somehow be offended by it, I don't even know why anybody would. I would actually like this, Google Fit doesn't always work well so maybe Maps could have been used for comparison and more accuracy, oh well.... 

6 hours ago, wcreek said:

But I mean hey Google, doesn't have a dedicated health app. 

They do actually, Google Fit, I use it. 

I think this could be a decent optional feature. If it were off by default, and just available for people who like the novelty of it, why not?

2 hours ago, Inkz said:

Not to just jump on the hate train, but let's look at this objectively.  Google adds health feature to help people loose weight and better track themselves. Response: Because it shows you the health data people feel unfortable.   Shouldn't by that logic we should ban exercise equipment and calorie counts on food because people feel shamed by it? How can anyone try and improve their health if we ban ways to help them?

I hear you, and I think that is a part of the problem. (Again just an opinion so don't eat me alive. Q_Q) It's mostly a self inflicted issue. In the sense of, seeing a piece of data that is neither negative or positive. It just tells you roughly what you might burn or have burned. Then taking it negatively because you feel bad about yourself. Taking that personal issue and pushing it on everything and everyone else to meet your own condition. I'm not trying to be mean or anything since the person feels bad, I just feel they're being unreasonable for everyone else. Sorta selfish if I want to be blunt. I agree in making it an option, not only to clear clutter on screen, but for the many ppl that count calories in the active scene (which is big) that plan a lot of walks or bike rides etc. Honestly at the end of the day, this isn't such a big issue in the grand scheme of things. So if it's in or not, whatever. But to not have it "because" someone feels bad is not really the best reason.  Honestly I can't blame them for just avoiding this situation, since we know the hell fire that can come from these discussions. :( Again, my opinions. Be gentle with me lol. *runs away to do night shift*

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I wouldn't mind. The Apple Watch keeps track of all that stuff for me. It's great (except for the heat and sun) when I do my lunch run (.25 miles) to get food and then walk back. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

The Apple Watch keeps track of all that stuff for me.

Traitor! Bad Neko-kun! Bad!

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

when I do my lunch run (.25 miles) to get food and then walk back.

tumblr_m2rhb40FTE1r3ifxzo2_500.gif.de6e63cfc01f3a6094cab55bd780014a.gif

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

- Thread Cleaned -

Leave the politics at the door. 

Only warning.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, PopReference said:

Probably don't use Google though, use a third party search engine at least. DuckDuckGo works good.

Actually. Use YouTube. He gave live interviews with StefanMolyneux and Rubin Report

Ok, screw all these people that use the word triggered seriously, no matter which walk of life they come from :)

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I can express that I find the use of the word triggered to be dumb, I have that much freedom of speech even on here.

11 hours ago, wcreek said:

But I mean hey Google, doesn't have a dedicated health app

I think they do...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.fitness&hl=en

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!