The old 2600K vs Newest CPU question

On 10/19/2017 at 12:22 AM, Majorpayne said:

Well, I know i don't need m.2, RGB (meh), USB 3 I have USB just not C or 3.1 but nothing in the house uses it yet. I guess my 6 Year old Processor and Mobo are just going to kick back and enjoy more of the ride. I can't see any other reason then

M.2 is still kinda pricey for most people. I just bought it because i wanted a SSD upgrade and i had a m.2 slot so i felt like omg go for it.

USB-C 3.1 is still relatively new. I think 3.0 is still fine as of today, the only time I'd find 3.1 useful is for stuff like transfering huge chunks of GB files [eg 4k videos and the like]. I am missing out on usb-c but i still feel we are still okay with 3.0 speeds.

your processor should be fine. unless you're hitting some kind of bottleneck on Game/Production? You should be fine. if no bottlenecking/cap occurs in your daily use. In fact by changing your processor, you'll need to consider new Ram [ddr4 vs ddr3] and a new mobo with the chipset [z370 vs... what was 2600k's chpset?] and that alone can set back maybe 1100aud+ or so. 200aud ram 600aud 8700k , 200-500aud mobo depending on your needs. so yea, you can have as low as 1k [asus prime as an example] or high as 1.3k [maximus X hero] just for those 3 components alone] with the

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

Just for reference, see also this article by GN:

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2867-intel-i7-2600k-2017-benchmark-vs-7700k-1700-more/page-3

Add few % to 7700k to extrapolate 8700k from that.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

7 hours ago, MyName13 said:

And i7 8700k still doesn't perform better than i7 7700k even though consoles have 6-7 cores, I wonder why.Maybe because these jaguar CPUs are too weak and any multi core optimisation is pointless for PC gamers that have at least a quad core nehalem (a 2008 architecture)?

No. The reason is that it's hard to multithread some tasks and isn't worth the time that would need to be spent. Not to mention the fact that a 7700k is technically 8 threads, which does make it similar to a 6-7 core cpu. Game developers optimize for something that is very common -- it would be stupid for them to optimize for a 6c/12t cpu when <1% of users have such a configuration. Not to mention that CPUs still aren't the limiting factor -- so what would be gained by all that effort and optimization? Literally nothing since the GPU still ends up being the problem.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

No. The reason is that it's hard to multithread some tasks and isn't worth the time that would need to be spent. Not to mention the fact that a 7700k is technically 8 threads, which does make it similar to a 6-7 core cpu. Game developers optimize for something that is very common -- it would be stupid for them to optimize for a 6c/12t cpu when <1% of users have such a configuration. Not to mention that CPUs still aren't the limiting factor -- so what would be gained by all that effort and optimization? Literally nothing since the GPU still ends up being the problem.

My point is that video games are obviously not that well parallelised, you said that consoles are responsible for better multi core optimisation (which is why quad and hexa i7s perform the same).There's no point of parallelisation because all that processing power can't be used for the current workload, it could be used for better physics and AI but in that case consoles would have to have a dumber down version, no developer wants to bother with this.