Edge Beats Chrome and Firefox at Blocking Malware and Phishing Attacks

iamdarkyoshi

chrome_firefox_edge-930x488.png.23e8105eb4bcac833f19413791f737e6.png

Edge managed to beat chrome and firefox in a series of tests against phishing, malware, and other malicious links.

This includes socially-engineered malware, phishing URLs, and zero hour attacks (brand new threats)

Edge came out on top in every test.

After 23 days of continuous tests between 23 August and 15 September this year, Edge version 38 blocked 96% of the socially-engineered malware (SEM) samples thrown against it in the form of malicious links and pop-ups, compared to 88% for Chrome version 60 and 70% for Firefox version 55. (The researchers describe SEM attacks as “a dynamic combination of social media, hijacked email accounts, false notification of computer problems, and other deceptions to encourage users to download malware”.)

Edge did even better when it came to phishing, blocking 92% of malicious URLs, compared to Chrome’s 75% and Firefox’s 61%.

NSS also looked at “zero hour” protection, which is how long it takes for each browser to block brand new threats once they’ve been introduced into the test.

For zero-hour SEM, Chrome started at 75% before climbing to a peak of 95% after seven days, while Firefox started at 54%, climbing to a peak rate of only 80% over the same period. Compare that to Edge which managed a steady 99.8% from hour one.

For zero-hour phishing URLs, the results weren’t quite as wide, but even here Edge started at 82% to Chrome’s 59% and Firefox’s 51%. Firefox clawed back some of the gap by day seven, scoring a peak rate of 81% to Chrome’s weakening 65%, but still ended up lagging Edge’s 89%.

I'm genuinely happy for this. Most tech illiterate users probably go for the default browser that comes with windows, and anything that can be done to help them surf today's dangerous net safely is a good thing.

These differences sound significant but how seriously should we take them?

It shouldn’t escape our notice that Edge came last in the CanSecWest Pwn2Own contest earlier this year in terms of contestants finding exploitable software flaws.

Long story short, edge isn't perfect. But I'm glad to see microsoft making an effort in keeping their user base safe.

Source: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/10/16/chrome-smoked-by-edge-in-browser-phishing-test/

Do these security advancements come with the Fall Creators update or is this just Edge in general?

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

hey thats pretty nice actiually. wont make me even consider edge tho

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Subduck said:

Do these security advancements come with the Fall Creators update or is this just Edge in general?

I'd assume it works for all versions, since it uses microsoft's Smartscreen as a database of malicious content

Actually, I'd beg to differ. Many of the older folks I've met while doing tech repairs use IE, even on Windows 10, because its "familiar and comfortable". These are the same people are still use AOL....

Everyone else wants to use "Google" [Chrome]. Because they cannot tell the difference between a browser and a search engine. Many of these illiterates think you cannot use Google's search engine on Edge...

And many others live by the "rumors" that Microsoft sucks at all things, but cannot afford a Mac. They use Google Chrome because Google is "far superior" than Microsoft.

This is great news. Hopefully Microsoft can shed their rumor-mill ties, and actually get consumers to stop being idiots.

With the Fall Creator update, you can actually fix Edge when it self-destructs, so maybe people can use it.

I know so many people who can't even open Edge. Having to delete the app folder, then run powershell commands to fix that was ridiculous.

Bravo Microsoft. Those stats look awesome and if are true is showing a real potential for security. 

21 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Actually, I'd beg to differ. Many of the older folks I've met while doing tech repairs use IE, even on Windows 10, because its "familiar and comfortable". These are the same people are still use AOL....

Everyone else wants to use "Google" [Chrome]. Because they cannot tell the difference between a browser and a search engine. Many of these illiterates think you cannot use Google's search engine on Edge...

And many others live by the "rumors" that Microsoft sucks at all things, but cannot afford a Mac. They use Google Chrome because Google is "far superior" than Microsoft.

This is great news. Hopefully Microsoft can shed their rumor-mill ties, and actually get consumers to stop being idiots.

IE uses the same filter that edge does, microsoft's Smartscreen. In theory, IE should behave the same.

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

IE uses the same filter that edge does, microsoft's Smartscreen. In theory, IE should behave the same.

I thought IE was fundamentally different, because it still seems to have much better legacy support than Edge does for a very narrow and specific range of website applications (particularly, those that don't get updated a lot). I thought IE was kept around because of this and other functionality that would make Edge less secure and efficient. I could be wrong. Otherwise, why keep the two?

2 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I thought IE was fundamentally different, because it still seems to have much better legacy support than Edge does for a very narrow and specific range of website applications (particularly, those that don't get updated a lot). I thought IE was kept around because of this and other functionality that would make Edge less secure and efficient. I could be wrong. Otherwise, why keep the two?

Some programs internally use IE. They kinda had to keep it for support of those programs

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Yeah its great

For people who think they can rely on a browser for security

Cannot rely on a browser for 100% everything, but it helps the ignorant and unaware. If no browser attempted to do any of this, people would complain more.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yeah its great

For people who think they can rely on a browser for security

Seeing how a lot of known trustable sites have been compromised, any extra bit of security helps. 

Reading this made me load up edge to see if i would use it again. But i was greeted with this screen, which made me go "nope"

God i hate these kind of "comparisons" 

edgewhythis.png

Thats okay, i use opera.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

I'm wondering what it didn't protect from though... if the 11% that it didn't protect from is REALLY BAD, but the malware that the others didn't find is not that bad, then I'd still rather use the others!!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

16 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Reading this made me load up edge to see if i would use it again. But i was greeted with this screen, which made me go "nope"

God i hate these kind of "comparisons" 

edgewhythis.png

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow, look at this dishonest visual representation

This is like that one Nvidia vs AMD comparison graph, where AMD's GPU does 59 FPS and Nvidia's does 60 FPS but it's represented to be a bigger gap than it is.

Or the 5'11 meme

Image result for 5'11 meme

"If you ain't first, you're last"

Since there are two ways a computer can get infected - through tricking the user (the only thing most people seem to consider) and through direct attacks by exploiting a vulnerability that lets a piece of software execute and do things when it should not have been able to - safety obviously comes in two forms, one for each of these.  Does this test represent both, or just the former?  It feels to me like it may just be the former, and if so, we really need to see how these 3 stack up in the other kind of test.  Traditionally IE has been a complete laughing stock in this area so it would be interesting to see if that has also been fixed.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

That's great. Personally I rely on Opera and Vivaldi but great to see such improvements with Edge for sure. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Meh. 

To be fair, I've never really given Edge a chance. But during the short times I have used it (to install chrome or FF), it was not a good user experience, IMO. 

That being said, good to hear they've been focusing on something a lot of average-users may unknowingly run into.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

This has been the case for like 5 years now going back to the death throws of IE. Safer and slower.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Imagine if google released a statement every time chrome beats edge in something, no matter how cherry picked it is...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*