Noctua GPU cooling

cretin

I'm interested in replacing the MSI cooling setup on my GTX 1080 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 fans. The noise is a bit too loud for my liking and I think this would work very well. I want to zip tie the two fans onto the heatsink and then connect the fans to the GPU fan header for auto PWM control. Just wondering if you think this would work well to alleviate my problems? I imagine this won't impact temps- if not perform better than the stock fans? 

just remember to take out the fans that are already in the gpu, their quite easy to disconnect :) they will block the airflow from the fans u gonna put on top so yeah xD

they should do the job just fine :) ( ziptie/hot glue ect it doesnt matter how u make the fans stuck to the gpu :P u could even tape em (tape not recommended tho lol )

(◑‿◐)

1 minute ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

just remember to take out the fans that are already in the gpu, their quite easy to disconnect :) they will block the airflow from the fans u gonna put on top so yeah xD

they should do the job just fine :) ( ziptie/hot glue ect it doesnt matter how u make the fans stuck to the gpu :P u could even tape em (tape not recommended tho lol )

yeah I was looking at removing the plastic shroud with the existing fans and mounting the new fans directly onto the heatsink

2 minutes ago, cretin said:

yeah I was looking at removing the plastic shroud with the existing fans and mounting the new fans directly onto the heatsink

anything like that does the job aslong u can get some decent airflow on there xD thats basicly what the stock fan does haha

if u wanna go really beefy u can always put a fridge fan on there ( LOL just kiddin )

u get the point xD

(◑‿◐)

So you voided the warranty?

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

So you voided the warranty?

Technically. But I'm planning on carefully removing the "warranty void" sticker and saving it for later, if need be.

That should work and be quieter. You'll need a vga fan adapter and splitter for your fans though if you want to connect them to your graphics card.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You might try something like this instead.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/modDIY-PCI-Slot-Fan-Mounting-Kit-(80{47}90mm-Fan-x-2).html

or the 3 fan version.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/modDIY-PCI-Slot-Fan-Mounting-Kit-(80{47}90mm-Fan-x-3).html

I actually thought about trying this myself a few months ago, but never did.  Might try it again now that Noctua has come out with their black fans.  Would probably look a log cleaner than zip tying the fans onto the gpu cooler.

EDIT:  You would also need an adapter for the pwm header on the graphics card, as they typically use a smaller one than motherboards do.

Edited by JacobFW

1 hour ago, JacobFW said:

You might try something like this instead.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/modDIY-PCI-Slot-Fan-Mounting-Kit-(80{47}90mm-Fan-x-2).html

or the 3 fan version.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/modDIY-PCI-Slot-Fan-Mounting-Kit-(80{47}90mm-Fan-x-3).html

I actually thought about trying this myself a few months ago, but never did.  Might try it again now that Noctua has come out with their black fans.  Would probably look a log cleaner than zip tying the fans onto the gpu cooler.

This wouldn't be as quiet as securing larger fans to the card itself. If you mean to do this and stick with the stock graphics card fans, it'd would lead to more turbulent noise. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

This wouldn't be as quiet as securing larger fans to the card itself. If you mean to do this and stick with the stock graphics card fans, it'd would lead to more turbulent noise. 

True, but at lower rpm's you might be able to get away with it, especially if you're able to use larger fans

Found a 120mm pci slot mount after my last post

https://www.amazon.com/GeLid-SL-PCI-02-Slot-120mm-Cooler/dp/B00OXHOQVU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508459265&sr=8-1&keywords=pci+slot+120mm+fans

What you might be able to do is use a graphics card holder to push up on the fan, so when it's blowing, it's pushing onto the bracket. 

Again, don't know, haven't tried it.

If you really want to go all out, you can get an aftermarket cooler like the Raijintek Morpheus  (why has Linus never tested this, even as a joke???)

It let's you mount any 120mm fans to it you want to.

You do have options, but you are going to have to get creative.

1 hour ago, JacobFW said:

TIf you really want to go all out, you can get an aftermarket cooler like the Raijintek Morpheus  (why has Linus never tested this, even as a joke???)

It let's you mount any 120mm fans to it you want to.

The benchmarks for aftermarket coolers for the Morpheus are out there. It doesn't make that much sense since graphics card coolers are getting better and narrowing the gap over time. Most people who are going all out generally go for liquid cooling. 

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The benchmarks for aftermarket coolers for the Morpheus are out there. It doesn't make that much sense since graphics card coolers are getting better and narrowing the gap over time. Most people who are going all out generally go for liquid cooling. 

Can atest to most going water,  considering doing the zip tie 120s on the 770 ive sold to my dad  so it has better and quiter cooling (over the windforce triple fan it currently has) and green modding my next gpu(especially if its a strix those bleeeps are loud as robot hell when gaming sans oc.. Also cause cheaper than a custom loop, not ready for that yet .)