Monitor Upgrade

GhostDK

A few months ago i bought a new desktop pc, but i didnt upgrade my display, which i kinda feel like i should. And i´ve been looking at a few different displays already, and wanted to hear if anyone had any experience with these when it comes to gaming

My current display is an 1920x1080 144hz display, and my GPU is an Asus Strix 1080ti.

So the displays i´ve been looking at, all have gsync, as i´ve heard it should be awesome, i just cant decide on which resolution i should get. I´ve been looking at a:

4k display 60hz display with gsync

3440x1440 with bestween 60 to 100hz, with gsync

and as a last option 2560x1440 with up to 165hz

So out of these 3 types of displays, when it comes to gaming is best? because, i´ve read that gsync has problems running at win10, and that 4k displays, despite gsync still stutter, due to the 60hz limit or something. i dont know what to believe so any experiences?

I wouldn't bother with 4k. I had one and couldn't notice any improvement in overall visual quality at 28" over 1440p. But I can notice drops in fps and lower setting, which you will still have with a 1080ti depending on the game. So I would argue even a 60hz 1440p is better for gaming, than a 4k. This might change when you consider larger displays at 34"+... But since there are almost none of them...

Now to Ultrawide 100hz vs 16:9 165hz. That depends. Ultrawide sure looks pretty and in some games you can indeed "see more" (Gamers nexus did an article on that) and for me 100hz are enough. But if you are one of those people who still notice higher framerates than 100 and prefer speed over visuals, you should go with the 16:9.

A few words to ultrawide, which might interest you: Most games support it, but not to 100%. Cutscenes are often in 16:9, so you will have black bars sometimes. Not a huge issue for me, but a friend of mine told me, that it would completely break the immersion and therefore he prefers his 16:9.

Oh and Gsync is indeed awesome. Wouldn't want to go back. It's overpriced though, but hey, if you have a 1080Ti a premium display will improve your gaming experience more than anything else.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

18 hours ago, GhostDK said:

A few months ago i bought a new desktop pc, but i didnt upgrade my display, which i kinda feel like i should. And i´ve been looking at a few different displays already, and wanted to hear if anyone had any experience with these when it comes to gaming

My current display is an 1920x1080 144hz display, and my GPU is an Asus Strix 1080ti.

So the displays i´ve been looking at, all have gsync, as i´ve heard it should be awesome, i just cant decide on which resolution i should get. I´ve been looking at a:

4k display 60hz display with gsync

3440x1440 with bestween 60 to 100hz, with gsync

and as a last option 2560x1440 with up to 165hz

So out of these 3 types of displays, when it comes to gaming is best? because, i´ve read that gsync has problems running at win10, and that 4k displays, despite gsync still stutter, due to the 60hz limit or something. i dont know what to believe so any experiences?

17 hours ago, xc3ll said:

I wouldn't bother with 4k. I had one and couldn't notice any improvement in overall visual quality at 28" over 1440p. But I can notice drops in fps and lower setting, which you will still have with a 1080ti depending on the game. So I would argue even a 60hz 1440p is better for gaming, than a 4k. This might change when you consider larger displays at 34"+... But since there are almost none of them...

Now to Ultrawide 100hz vs 16:9 165hz. That depends. Ultrawide sure looks pretty and in some games you can indeed "see more" (Gamers nexus did an article on that) and for me 100hz are enough. But if you are one of those people who still notice higher framerates than 100 and prefer speed over visuals, you should go with the 16:9.

A few words to ultrawide, which might interest you: Most games support it, but not to 100%. Cutscenes are often in 16:9, so you will have black bars sometimes. Not a huge issue for me, but a friend of mine told me, that it would completely break the immersion and therefore he prefers his 16:9.

Oh and Gsync is indeed awesome. Wouldn't want to go back. It's overpriced though, but hey, if you have a 1080Ti a premium display will improve your gaming experience more than anything else.

I agree, I just got a really good deal on a asus PG27AQ (27, 4K gsync at 60hz) and the difference with 1440p is hard to see. Gsync is great, ME Andromeda at 4K all ultra with sweetfx presets looks amazing, and move smoothly even at 40-45 fps. Gsync had issues with windowed application but by unchecking the fast boot option in power settings, it is solved. It also works on emulation, if you are into Zelda Breath of the Wild. 

Ultrawide seems great but then again it depends on your budget, and it may just be too big if you are sitting close to your screen. 

Also, coming from a 144hz display, you may find it hard to move to a lesser frequency. If you are not in a rush, in a few months, new asus and acer monitors will come which are very expensive but they will probably lower the prices of current monitors to something more affordable to you.