Windows 8/8.1!

PillowSmoke

What's your totally unbiased opinion about windows 8/8.1? I'm deciding if it's worth it to upgrade to from windows 7.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

If you already have Windows 7 then don't upgrade. If you're getting a cheap upgrade then do it.

Quote me to get a reply!

It all depends on your needs. I personally don't see any useful features in Windows 8 that would make me switch. Plus, I like the Aero scheme.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

If you have a Microsoft account, it's great. My gf and I talk to each other regularly with the messaging app snapped to the side, and sharing things with skydrive is pretty awesome. I'm hoping to get a tablet soon so I can use 8.1 on the go.

If you're a PC gamer you might as well because of the FPS boost. 

I personally enjoy W8. I wish I had a W8 tablet to really get the full metro experience. 

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I personally enjoy W8. I wish I had a W8 tablet to really get the full metro experience. 

*high five* we got the same mobo.

btw what temps do you get with that cpu cooler?

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Its not bad once I installed Start is back. Iv completely forgot it was windows 8. Only thing is compatibility still. CSGO isnt working for me for example but it was just recently and I hope its not cause of Windows 8

Unbiased opinion? You know how thats going to end.

lol yea.

*high five* we got the same mobo.

btw what temps do you get with that cpu cooler?

12c to 28c idle. Usually never above 50c under load.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

I hate it.

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

i upgraded today to 8.1 from 7 only because the frame boost you get in games. i like the aero theme and i just got classic shell so its pretty much the same thing as 7

Once you install Startisback it works great. I do really enjoy Windows 8 and 8.1. I would recommend to upgrade. Also you get frame boost on newer games.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

i upgraded today to 8.1 from 7 only because the frame boost you get in games. i like the aero theme and i just got classic shell so its pretty much the same thing as 7

Thank you, I feel like most people don't see the good in Win. 8. Honestly the new start screen is just as good as the desktop and its not like your forced to use it.

My System Specs: (Short list) i7 4770k, GTX 780, many SSD's, a 2 TB HDD(deceased :( ), Corsair 650D. Full list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kchriz6097/saved/8dh7YJ

Upgrade Plan: Acquire some Black Noctuas then add 16 or 32GB of 2133MHz memory

If you have Windows 7, I would stick with it unless you really want a new OS that offers Storage Spaces, better fps in games, a faster boot time, and Metro UI/apps. 

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Thank you, I feel like most people don't see the good in Win. 8. Honestly the new start screen is just as good as the desktop and its not like your forced to use it.

:P only thing i don't really use is the metro, but i don't really care that its there either 

Windows 8 is a great OS. You don't need to install any extra software or tweaks. It does have a steep  learner curve, that many people are afraid to pass, for some reason. But, that's the future, and it won't change.

On average, I have measured that people gets used to it and gets comfortable with a month of heavy usage with Windows 8. Some gets it within 1-2 weeks, some longer. But the end result is that once they learn it, they prefer it over the Start Menu, as they see how more powerful it is.

So it comes down to, if you want Windows 8 or not. If you have nothing you are interested in, then don't upgrade.. there is no point.

For me, I do. Here is what I like about it (please note I have Windows 8 (well 8.1) Pro)

-> Easy launch of Command Prompt where you are from a folder

-> Power menu for quick and easy access to popular control panel items

-> Hyper-V

-> XBox Music

-> SkyDrive intergration, which syncs my accounts settings, and even wifi passwords, and my SkyDrive folder between my systems.

-> Increase performance in gaming, and the new version of DirectX

-> File History.... saved my life SOOOOOO many times. Such an underrated feature, yet so useful. It allows you to go back in time on a folder, or file, and does backups of your personal folder every 10min, 5min, half hour, or what delay you want, with 0 performance drop on the system

-> I like the fact that Windows can not virtually load ISO's

-> I like the new Task Manager

-> Super fast boot (4-6sec form power to desktop, if you have fully support UEFI supported system, and SSD)

-> Secure boot

-> Auto switch from wireless to wired

-> File transfer merge of dialog

-> File transfer pause/resume

-> New, greatly improved file collision dialog (when windows asks you to replace file)

-> File transfer graph data