Multiple display smartphone from ZTE

I could not see it posted anywhere on the forum so i think i'll write thing or two about that.
Yesterday (17.10.17r.) ZTE announced their new smartphone - Axon M which might just be one of the most interesting relase this year. ZTE completly changed their approach to designing smartphones and made an unusual Axon M which is a foldable phone with two 5.2-inch 1080p displays. It can be used in 4 diferent modes: Dual mode, Extended mode, Mirror mode, Traditional mode.

In Dual mode each screen can be used idependetlly:

Axon_M_main.jpg.04c80c286462b8b39639d4ecd249be88.jpg

In Extended mode they are used as one big 2160p display:
 1920-900-EN.jpg.5e68c3d5d1fe89fc90e7e64f08b6567d.jpg

In Mirror mode both screens are displaing the same content: 

Axon_M_8.jpg.f8ace66cd6de98bb71462ffb28846213.jpg

And ofcourse Traditional mode name speaks for it self.

Axon M features: Quad-core Qualcom Snapdragon 821 runing at 2.15 Ghz, 4 GB of Ram, 64 GB of storage expandable via Micro SD card up to 256 GB, 3180 mAh battery, 20  MP camera capeable of 4k 30 hz.
Phone is running on Adroid 7.1.2 (Nugat)
In the matter of conectivity : USB type C, Bluetooth 4.2, 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4 GHz/ 5 GHz
And it has 3,5 mm audio jack which is in fact also unusual feature these days... 

Most common concern which i noticed pretty much across all articles is about its limited battery size.

Acording to ZTE the phone will be released in the next mounth in USA and it will be AT&T exclusive at launch. It will launch in Japan, China and Europe latter on.

Sources: 
http://www.ztedevice.com/press-center/news/201710/20171017
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/2017s-most-innovative-smartphone-ztes-dual-screen-axon-m/

What is the market for this? I don't honestly know how or what you would use this for? Not to mention that powering 2 screens with a 3180 mAh battery is going to be a pain.

Good to see that they are trying to innovate but I don't think this is the right direction, especially when you see things like the Xioami Mi Mix which did the whole bezless thing before Samsung and Apple. Maybe I'm wrong.

Looks like the second screen goes behind the first. How does it not get scratched when you put the thing down?

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

3 minutes ago, JaegerB said:

Looks like the second screen goes behind the first. How does it not get scratched when you put the thing down?

We've had scratch resistant screens for more than half a decade... how does your phone not get scratched when you lay it face down? How do glass back phones not get scratched for that matter?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Would be interesting on how you would make a robust Phone case for it though, 

Good enough to withstand drops but still be malleable to allow the folding of screens.

I assume the Secondary screen has a lip around the screen so it is slightly raised when used in traditional mode. I Assume you can change between functions using the pull down menu.

Mirror mode would be ideal for showing someone what you want them to see while using it, or a show your watching.

Extended Mode seems ideal for artistic people wanting a larger drawing area but the dead zone in-between the two screens would cause an issue.

Dual mode umm a Multitasker maybe having two things open in my experience I would most likely use it for Browsing and taking notes on what I find.

I personally would bit the bullet for this android depending on the price. which I assume wouldn't be cheap. 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

Just now, Sauron said:

We've had scratch resistant screens for more than half a decade... how does your phone not get scratched when you lay it face down? How do glass back phones not get scratched for that matter?

Phone cases and screen protectors.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

^^^ Well that phone will have a very oddly designed phone case :/ 

Some people prefer a challenge, I just band my head against a wall until my method works...

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Can't you use a screen protector on this?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

Surely you can use a screen protector on it. It is just another generic phone just with an extra screen slapped onto it 

Someone needs to bring the flip phone back... but this phone looks interesting I definitely would use the independent screen mode more than the others. Depends on pricing now to get me to buy one

Just now, Alex Colson said:

Surely you can use a screen protector on it. It is just another generic phone just with an extra screen slapped onto it 

Exactly, sooo... what's the problem? Making a border only case shouldn't be that hard either.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Exactly, sooo... what's the problem? Making a border only case shouldn't be that hard either.

Two separate cases would kind be required by the looks of it. But then a case wouldn't be able to protect the pivot point of the two screens if dropped. So via an accident you may end up making the phone traditional permanently if it still works after the screen being broke off that is.

3 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

Two separate cases would kind be required by the looks of it. But then a case wouldn't be able to protect the pivot point of the two screens if dropped. So via an accident you may end up making the phone traditional permanently if it still works after the screen being broke off that is.

If they put any thought into it at all that shouldn't be a problem. Of course abusing your phone will break it... as long as you don't give it to a child it should be fine. It's definitely not at risk of scratching the moment you put it down, that's for sure.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

If they put any thought into it at all that shouldn't be a problem. Of course abusing your phone will break it... as long as you don't give it to a child it should be fine. It's definitely not at risk of scratching the moment you put it down, that's for sure.

Scratching shouldn't be any problem even if the screen is flush with the case as you stated scratch proof screens. Tbf the pivot point does look sturdy enough and not some type of flimsy plastic. 

I don't think they understood the concept of foldable phone.

Looking at this video of the phone in action, you can see that it doesn't work properly. Apps are stretched, unless made for it (or hacked up by ZTE to make it work), or have apps side by side. The point of a foldable phone is that it isn't a brick for nothing, and actually have the OS itself adapt into a tablet mode, not 2 screen hacked up job. Ie: the phone turns into a tablet. This, in this case, is just a phone dual screen.

Idea is good, but I think only Samsung could pull it off right, as they have the resources and know how on how to make a custom Android version that can fully take advantage of this, and the hardware know how to not make it a brick.

I really thought ZTE made flip phones great again 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

14 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

but I think only Samsung could pull it off right,

I’d rather see flexible phones again using P-OLED like the LG G Flex 

images.jpeg.d64d263e69f0d1d8ca4bfc2531f27340.jpeg

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

@GoodBytes tbf for apps to work on it. Part of it is having the OS adapt to the app but also the app to adapt to the Screen resolution. the OS is working properly, its the fact the OS can either Stretch the app screen causing it to well look stretched or black box the app meaning your left with a boarder.

Yes any other Well named brand could pull it off but you have to give them credit for trying to lead this front/ bring it back

46 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Sure but the response I was looking for was something along the lines of "Smartass".

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

56 minutes ago, Sauron said:

they're in a case? :P

14 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Looking at this video of the phone in action, you can see that it doesn't work properly. Apps are stretched, unless made for it (or hacked up by ZTE to make it work), or have apps side by side. The point of a foldable phone is that it isn't a brick for nothing, and actually have the OS itself adapt into a tablet mode, not 2 screen hacked up job. Ie: the phone turns into a tablet. This, in this case, is just a phone dual screen.

Idea is good, but I think only Samsung could pull it off right, as they have the resources and know how on how to make a custom Android version that can fully take advantage of this, and the hardware know how to not make it a brick.

Well, in term of software it's not that easy. You cannot expect software to be developed entirely by smartphone producer. Even Microsoft couldn't make it. Moreover it must take some time for apps developers to implement mechanics allowing to use full potential of such devices. I think it will get better over time and it's extrapolated from a simple fact that ZTE reached out to google to help them with software adjustment. It's worth a notice.

51 minutes ago, Alex Colson said:

^^^ Well that phone will have a very oddly designed phone case :/ 

I can see it with case like Dbrand Grip but with some easy possibility to take it off or  with hinge side free of it so it wouldn't block the second screen. It's not only possible to design such a case but it would be easier than you may think i can see three possible designs right away.

2 minutes ago, AccordingOne said:

I can see it with case like Dbrand Grip but with some easy possibility to take it off or  with hinge side free of it so it wouldn't block the second screen. It's not only possible to design such a case but it would be easier than you may think i can see three possible designs right away.

Oh I can see simple case designs already as you stated with leaving the Hinge side free. but it would be more or less Dual casing. one for each screen and further more the secondary screen is going to have a case back modelled for it as it has a snap in function as seen in the video posted further up the thread.

Never said it wouldn't be possible just it would be odd to get an ideal case design that is both protective to the phone while not making it more clunky.

2 hours ago, Cheesus182 said:

What is the market for this? I don't honestly know how or what you would use this for? Not to mention that powering 2 screens with a 3180 mAh battery is going to be a pain.

Good to see that they are trying to innovate but I don't think this is the right direction, especially when you see things like the Xioami Mi Mix which did the whole bezless thing before Samsung and Apple. Maybe I'm wrong.

To be fair i don't think it's a great idea either, never the less it's something new. But i don't think bezelless design is important either. (Actually AXON M would be much more effective, if there was no bezel between two screens. )
Much more sensible move for ZTE is further development axon 7-like smartphones on of which is probably coming in 2017 anyway i hope so:

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I was semi-interested until i found out it doesnt go into a tablet mode. What nonsense is that?

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX