Board doesn't see my SSD

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Samsung 850 evo is SATA only m.2 ssd.

The Asrock board has two m.2 connectors. The one near the cpu is pci-e x4 only (no sata). The one on the bottom is SATA only (and shared with SATA_3_3 , port 3 on the board, if i remember correctly - i helped someone with the same problem less than a week ago)

So you have to put the SSD on the bottom m.2 connector which is connected to the chipset and make sure there's no sata cable in the SATA port 3 on the motherboard.

I removed an M.2 SSD (Samsung EVO 850 from my laptop to install as storage on my AsRock AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX board, but I didn't format it first. I just pulled it. Disk Management doesn't see the drive at all and neither does device management. I thought it might be a conflicted letter assignment since it was my (C) drive, but wouldn't it at least show up in Disk Management.

I booted from USB to see if I could format in Windows Installer, but nothing.

I have three drives installed, but only two show up.

The Asrock board has two m.2 connectors. The one near the cpu is pci-e x4 only (no sata). The one on the bottom is SATA only (and shared with SATA_3_3 , port 3 on the board, if i remember correctly - i helped someone with the same problem less than a week ago)

So you have to put the SSD on the bottom m.2 connector which is connected to the chipset and make sure there's no sata cable in the SATA port 3 on the motherboard.

does it still work in the laptop? can you confirm the slot works? does the BIOS see it? if it does, a form of Linux might be able to format it

that's all I got

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

didn't think of that, or know that, probably that then

probably need to double check the bios settings

the m.2 drive may default to NVME and so it isnt detecting your ssd

Photography / Finance / Gaming

It is the SATA issue. I didn't realize that. Oh, well. Thanks for the solution. I put it back in my laptop and it's working fine.