Is a 1080 worth it with my CPU?

Villain

Current Specs:

GTX 780

i5-3570k @ 4Ghz

8GB DDR3

I play games with a 144hz 1080p monitor which makes me worried that the bottlenecking will be severe enough with my current CPU. I will of course upgrade the CPU in the future but I'm wondering if the performance upgrade would still be good enough with my current CPU or if it will end up preventing me from getting much higher frame-rates than my current setup allows. 

Eyy another 780! I don't think bottlenecking would be too severe unless it's really CPU demanding(I could be very wrong)

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I have the same CPU running at 4.4GHz and I see some bottlenecking in certain games with my GTX 980. Its not gonna be a bottleneck in everything but I would really consider upgrading your CPU aswell.

there will be a bottleneck by cpu. you should check DigitalFoundry on youtube. They have cpu to cpu tests. Btw that cpu wont disappoint you that much until you get upgrade.

Just now, Native7i said:

there will be a bottleneck by cpu. you should check DigitalFoundry on youtube. They have cpu to cpu tests. Btw that cpu wont disappoint you that much until you get upgrade.

even if there's, he can upgrade his cpu later if he hasnt enough money for a whole upgrade

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

How about a 3770K and then a 1070/1080?  About the same cash (nearly) and a better balance.

or get a 1080 and wait some time for a new cpu, just dont play games at extreme settings that could bottleneck the cpu

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

or just get a 1070. or is that not powerful enough for you?

maybe now, but not tomorrow, just wondering

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

How about a 3770K and then a 1070/1080?  About the same cash (nearly) and a better balance.

3770K isn't gonna perform that much better while gaming compared to the 3570K. Marginal upgrade at best.

4 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

maybe with some bios update to get a 4790k

2 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

or get a 1080 and wait some time for a new cpu, just dont play games at extreme settings that could bottleneck the cpu

This might be a good idea if you're sure that you can buy a new CPU, RAM and Mobo in the near future. The GTX 1080 is gonna be a massive upgrade compared to the GTX 780 even with your current CPU.

according to tests a i7 920 won't bottleneck a 1080ti, google it, and the 3570k is about on par with that, 3570k has gen 3 pcie, so should be fine just oc it if you encounter problems

1 minute ago, AdDicti said:

3770K isn't gonna perform that much better while gaming compared to the 3570K. Marginal upgrade at best.

I was thinking about that as I typed it because the single core performance is pretty much the same, but more and more games will use all 8 threads these days so I went with it.  Unless he has a Z170 MOBO sitting around, it's the easiest way to more FPS.

1 minute ago, mrmonmon2 said:

according to tests a i7 920 won't bottleneck a 1080ti, google it, and the 3570k is about on par with that, 3570k has gen 3 pcie, so should be fine just oc it if you encounter problems

well, i just found a 980ti bottleneck'd by the cpu so...

3 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

might be thinking of the 950, but i remember finding something as i was telling my dad to just get a new gpu instead of waiting to do his new build all at once

edit

I actually have about $900 I'm willing to spend but I figured the price of upgrading the cpu/motherboard/ram would surpass my budget given that the 1080 is $500+ and I'm not sure I'd want to settle on a 1070 to make more room for the budget. If anyone has any suggestions on the best cpu/motherboard/ram I can achieve with the extra $400 I would greatly appreciate it.

4 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

yeah dad has a 920 or 930 and a 950 rig so i may have mixed up the original post i made, the 950 will handle a 1080 quite well on 1440p from the benchmark videos im finding

7 minutes ago, mrmonmon2 said:

might be thinking of the 950, but i remember finding something as i was telling my dad to just get a new gpu instead of waiting to do his new build all at once

edit

Some games run better than others. I've certainly run into a few games where my 3570K@4.4GHz is bottlenecking my GTX 980 (OC'd). In the video his GPU is only running at ~60% utilization which is a waste of performance IMO.

1 minute ago, Villain said:

I actually have about $900 I'm willing to spend but I figured the price of upgrading the cpu/motherboard/ram would surpass my budget given that the 1080 is $500+ and I'm not sure I'd want to settle on a 1070 to make more room for the budget. If anyone has any suggestions on the best cpu/motherboard/ram I can achieve with the extra $400 I would greatly appreciate it.

get a 1080ti :P and a really good aio and oc the living hell out of  the 3570k, 4.5ghz should be a piece of cake

Just now, AdDicti said:

Some games run better than others. I've certainly run into a few games where my 3570K@4.4GHz is bottlenecking my GTX 980 (OC'd).

I never ran into bottlenecks with the 980 i was running even when both were oced

2 minutes ago, mrmonmon2 said:

get a 1080ti :P and a really good aio and oc the living hell out of  the 3570k, 4.5ghz should be a piece of cake

Not every chip will run those clocks. I gotta pump 1.35v+ on mine to get stable 4.5, but 4.4 will run stable at 1.2v ;)