EA Shuts down Visceral Games

ItsMitch

Visceral was alread dead when Dead Space 3 came out.

The talent was clearly there but EA forced it in the wrong direction back then. 

So as always, EA kills good things. At least now Visceral was put out of it‘s misery.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

8 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

EA, won't be getting another dime from me.

I am done with Battlefield because of this, and because of where they are obviously going with the microtransactions. Which disappoints me because Battlefield 1 has given me some amazing memories.

F**K EA.

EA been on the top of my list to never buy games published by them.  Why?

....They mess up Maxis and Sim City.  I will never buy games published by them again.  I don't give a crap even if a game is good later on.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

According to slightly Mad Studios EA tried to kill them too, they asked for a third NFS game then after the design phase pulled the plug and withdrew all funds leaving the studio with a game in early development and no cash at all. A few days later EA offered to buy the studio out and assimilate them into the existing NFS team however SMS said no and the guy behind it all went and remortgaged his house.

The game EA left them with turned into Project Cars and the rest they say, is history.

i loved the theme park series :(

@Ithanul #metoo

13 hours ago, wcreek said:

I'm sure Activision is one of them, fortunately it seems like Blizzard isn't going anywhere at least and OW is actually a decent game, and they've kept World of Warcraft in a decent state.

Definitely not. Selling 5-year old games at almost full price isn't exactly the Netflix approach.

Just now, IAmAndre said:

Definitely not. Selling 5-year old games at almost full price isn't exactly the Netflix approach.

:S I think you misunderstood what I said. I was comparing Activision to EA. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

:S I think you misunderstood what I said. I was comparing Activision to EA. 

And to Netflix too, I guess. Actually EA is closer to Netflix than Activision is, if you consider their Origin Access and similar offers.

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

And to Netflix too, I guess. Actually EA is closer to Netflix than Activision is, if you consider their Origin Access and similar offers.

Well, my mention of Netflix was not particular referencing their business model of streaming content or all-access :)

I was referencing their willingness to give creative control to the creators. It has proven highly successful. Most games that looked appealing when it was showcased at E3 last year and end up being trash have often been put through the corporate machine which we all know spits out garbage on an assembly line. 

If I didn't know any better I'd say the studio might have had some control at the beginning but when corporate notices the hype, it then thinks to itself "we must ensure success so we're taking control of this thing now". It ends up accomplishing the opposite because what people were attracted to was killed off in favor of cookie cutter formulaic trash.

Really shame and sad. Love the Dead Space series and want continuation of it. 

But yeah lame, killing off good stuff. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

They were developing a Star Wars game as well.

The statement they made was kinda weird. Something along the lines of "How people play games has changed... We want people to come back and enjoy the game as much as possible."

Do they seriously think everything has to be online nowadays? Is a game outdated because it is singleplayer and has a story?? Is it outdated because it doen's follow a pay-to-win / loot or have-players-grind-away-their-time Model?

This makes me kinda sad. Would have liked to see the finished game in its original form. 

I am not expecting them to change it for the better, unfortunately with everything coming out of EA these days...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

9 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

They were developing a Star Wars game as well.

The statement they made was kinda weird. Something along the lines of "How people play games has changed... We want people to come back and enjoy the game as much as possible."

Do they seriously think everything has to be online nowadays? Is a game outdated because it is singleplayer and has a story?? Is it outdated because it doen's follow a pay-to-win / loot or have-players-grind-away-their-time Model?

This makes me kinda sad. Would have liked to see the finished game in its original form.

Very sad indeed.

Personally I love a focused single player adventure where they take you through a linear story. Not everything needs to be a multiplayer open world playground. Also the star wars IP is the perfect setting for telling a single player story, you have loads of lore to draw from.

But alas this is the direction that EA wants. That's why they are getting Bioware to shift focus onto stuff like Anthem rather than their previous singleplayer RPGs.

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

Very sad indeed.

Personally I love a focused single player adventure where they take you through a linear story. Not everything needs to be a multiplayer open world playground. Also the star wars IP is the perfect setting for telling a single player story, you have loads of lore to draw from.

But alas this is the direction that EA wants. That's why they are getting Bioware to shift focus onto stuff like Anthem rather than their previous singleplayer RPGs.

Me too, I love all those games Linus would call "sight-seeing games" :P 

Too bad people love in game purchases and all that stupid shit.

I believe the Star Wars game was set around the Rouge One events which I personally really liked.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

22 hours ago, MyName13 said:

Why?

They were expensive and not that consistent of a studio. Star Wars game didn't turn out how they wanted so they axed the studio. Visceral as a brand didn't mean much. They are widely praised for making Dead Space series but apart from that all their other games were crap. EA wouldn't have never let them make another Dead Space game anyways, the series wasn't making the kind of money they wanted for the amount of money (risk) they put into the studio.

28 minutes ago, jakinov said:

They were expensive and not that consistent of a studio. Star Wars game didn't turn out how they wanted so they axed the studio. Visceral as a brand didn't mean much. They are widely praised for making Dead Space series but apart from that all their other games were crap. EA wouldn't have never let them make another Dead Space game anyways, the series wasn't making the kind of money they wanted for the amount of money (risk) they put into the studio.

Yeah that's not true. Looking through their portfolio there are a lot of above average to great titles. Of course you could argue the sales weren't there but the quality was certainly better than many of EA's other studios. They probably just weren't 'team players' or in other words: they didn't follow the company tune of online and micro-transaction-riddled games. 

i'm in the mood for some bets!

Ready? here goes:

Bioware

1. 1 year left
  2. 2 year left
  3. 4 year left
  4. not dying

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

48 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Yeah that's not true. Looking through their portfolio there are a lot of above average to great titles. Of course you could argue the sales weren't there but the quality was certainly better than many of EA's other studios. They probably just weren't 'team players' or in other words: they didn't follow the company tune of online and micro-transaction-riddled games. 

Better than which studios? The ones that also got shutdown? Or the ones that get better reviews, more sales and have more popular IPs? I'm not going to argue about which game is actually good and what isn't because at the end of the day it's all subjective. But closing down Visceral is a business decision. Publishers aren't going to keep that studios they own going just because some people enjoyed some of their games in the past, if it's not making the money they want right now. Other publishers do it too. 

There's no being "team-players", Visceral is EA. If higher up people told them they need to do that stuff they should have done it otherwise it's just insubordination. It's way more likely that they are expensive, widely inconsistent with the profits EA expect for the amount of money they put in and their game wasn't coming along very well.  You must consider why they didn't just get them to redo the game which is probably because they lost faith on the studio and the financials weren't there.

gif_you_ve_met_with_a_terrible_fate__hav

RIP Visceral, I will miss you.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

On 17/10/2017 at 9:41 PM, Vernw3 said:

i highly doubt that means there will never be another dead space game it will most likely be made by whoever decides to pick it up 

if theres money to be made another one will come out one day 

visceral is being shut down because there is no money to be made.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 17/10/2017 at 3:41 PM, Vernw3 said:

i highly doubt that means there will never be another dead space game it will most likely be made by whoever decides to pick it up 

if theres money to be made another one will come out one day 

The Dead Space series is already dead. Dead Space 1 and 2 sold well but not good enough for EA. Dead Space 2 sold 4 million copies in its lifetime and they either didn't profit or didn't profit enough. It's important to note that even if a game series is profitable, it doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a great investment to make another one because of the risk involved. You have to pay the salaries of hundred(s) of people for 2-4 years to work on a game that can end up selling like shit or even just slightly worse than the last installment. It's risky and there aren't high prospects for more profits. Dead Space 3 probably wouldn't have gotten made if they didn't tell Visceral to make the action and micro-transaction changes. If game development gets cheaper in the future, or there are changes to the market then maybe they'll be another Dead Space. The Gears of War series also sorta faced this problem which is why Epic didn't want to make any more of them. 

19 hours ago, Ithanul said:

EA been on the top of my list to never buy games published by them.  Why?

....They mess up Maxis and Sim City.  I will never buy games published by them again.  I don't give a crap even if a game is good later on.

What they've done to DICE is deplorable.

Bad Company 2 was a masterpiece, and they could do it again. But it wouldn't be profitable enough for EA. Gotta worry bout them focus test groups.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Small aside: I think the AAA gaming industry may be starting to approach critical mass: this holiday season will be plagued with problems on several fronts: from scarce GPUs (some might be coming back but prices won't recover fully once the holiday rush begins at around cyber monday) to an alarming rate of anti-consumer releases from most mayor publishers in preparation for this holiday season: Everybody is pushing microtransactions too damn hard with microtransactions in multiplayer games, in single player games where they're heavily encouraged to even selling user created content as a microtransaction.

Is like all major publishers are quickly losing confidence in the AAA market: none of them think a good, solid AAA title can stand on it's own. It's not even a matter of "gotta have multiplayer" now they seemingly won't release a game at all if they don't have an intrusive system to nickle and dime the consumer.

I know several people have been saying for years that the AAA gaming industry isn't sustainable and that another crash is inevitable and most of you will think this is another "the sky is falling" rant but I feel like this isn't just me talking, but the publishers themselves that no longer can recoup dev costs and some margin out of just a fucking game.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I just hope Dontnod isn't acquired; it would seriously fuck up LiS 2

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Honestly, not sad to see them go. Their games weren't anything special, outside of Dead Space, but even then, I'd call that franchise a lucky break that wouldn't last.

1 minute ago, Nicholatian said:

Whatever happened to making a business with a lasting reputation?

Too many people in charge want instant gratification. Idiots that do one, maybe two things well but are so short sighted, they can't decide what to have for lunch that day.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

37 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

What they've done to DICE is deplorable.

Bad Company 2 was a masterpiece, and they could do it again. But it wouldn't be profitable enough for EA. Gotta worry bout them focus test groups.

Pretty much what EA done to any game developer is deplorable.

Sim City was the last straw for me because I really enjoyed that game series while growing up.

22 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I know several people have been saying for years that the AAA gaming industry isn't sustainable and that another crash is inevitable and most of you will think this is another "the sky is falling" rant but I feel like this isn't just me talking, but the publishers themselves that no longer can recoup dev costs and some margin out of just a fucking game.

I am starting to think the game industry is going that way.  Sooner or later something is going to give.

Only a few publishers/developers I know still put out some solid big games without the crap micro transaction bull.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

3 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Pretty much what EA done to any game developer is deplorable.

Sim City was the last straw for me because I really enjoyed that game series while growing up.

I am starting to think the game industry is going that way.  Sooner or later something is going to give.

Only a few publishers/developers I know still put out some solid big games without the crap micro transaction bull.

Indies and free-to-play models can probably remain but yeah AAA games at this rate might become a worst value than just spending 10 bucks on an indie game in terms of value for what you get for your cash.

-------

Current Rig

-------

DMXQYSZX0AAQHZM.jpg

credits go to twitter 

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.