Activision has patented social engineering of Microtransactions

15 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Just realised what they patented is the reason I own a CSGO knife...

I wonder how it will affect games already using this system

No, it's not.

you bought a cosmetic item because you decided you want a cosmetic item. 

And some people on these forums still don't believe social science is a tangible thing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

"emulate drug dealers to try and get gamers hooked on a games micro-transaction system to reap higher profits"...hmmm'

sounds lie anything ever...money is the root of all evil? nope....not having it is 

Life is easy, all you have to do is Live

This is borderline evil. I was gonna give them their damn $60 USD for Destiny 2 but this getting to be a bit much. Unfortunately Activision-Blizzard is so big I'm not sure if it's even worth trying to boycott them. (Especially blizzard in my case)

Unpopular opinion: Ban social engineering in commercial products/services. Yes, ban via legislation or strict regulation with fines that aren't just a wrist slap. I consider this shit to be unconscious coercion.

Edit: I have decided I will not be purchasing Destiny 2, I encourage you all to rethink your purchasing decisions as well. Blizzard games may be next

Edited by Swatson
RIP Destiny 2

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

And they wonder why so many people are pirating games, lol.

The only AAA game i bought this year is ummmm, lemme think, does zelda on the switch count?

3 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

I think I'm safe in saying that microtransactions are seriously becoming a cancer in the gaming community, however, Activision appears to have found a way to one up this in a recent patent it was granted.  The patent in question details the use of matchmaking and social engineering to encourage players to make more purchases, also titled as "System and method for driving microtransactions in multiplayer video games".

HardOCP Link (Originally saw this here): https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/10/17/activision_uses_matchmaking_tricks_to_sell_ingame_items

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-activision-uses-matchmaking-tricks-to-sell-in-game-items-w509288

This just seems really horrible to me and kind of leaves me at a loss for words... Seriously, with each new microtransaction story, it's like the game companies are trying to emulate drug dealers to try and get gamers hooked on a games microtransaction system to reap higher profits.  

Patent: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect2=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=PALL&RefSrch=yes&Query=PN/9789406

holy shit.

this is a good thing. this way noone else can do this. lets get a big company to pattent microtransactions in general, that way noone else does them

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

So it's simply Match-making affected by Potential or Previous Purchases. While a form of social engineering, this also counts as "finding good matches for you".

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

So it's simply Match-making affected by Potential or Previous Purchases. While a form of social engineering, this also counts as "finding good matches for you".

Any proper matchmaking system counts as "finding good matches for you". In this case it's actually incentivized to make bad matches. They clearly state the idea of placing a junior player in a match with a senior player so the junior player sees his cool stuff and wants to buy it.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

at least they have a pattent on it i guess, its something? might keep other companies from doing it i guess? probably not. this is a really shitty development though. screw this shit

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, WereCat said:

The micro-transaction model is getting out of control, we need to stop it NOW!

Oh that's easy enough.  Vote with your wallet.  If a game has micro-transactions, don't buy it.

3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Oh that's easy enough.  Vote with your wallet.  If a game has micro-transactions, don't buy it.

While someone else who buys it will shell out tons of cash for the micro-transactions.

You'll need to convince all the brain dead people out there not to shell out their money too.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Swatson said:

Any proper matchmaking system counts as "finding good matches for you". In this case it's actually incentivized to make bad matches. They clearly state the idea of placing a junior player in a match with a senior player so the junior player sees his cool stuff and wants to buy it.

I'm about to do something I never thought I'd do: defend Activision.

Most online games operate by selling you cosmetics. Valve has revenue at possibly 1 Billion USD from CS:GO and Dota2 alone doing that. This is the nature of the Business Model. It works, people like it and keep coming back. However, there are multiple aspects to Gaming. The company is selling you an Experience, and you judge the quality of the Game by that Experience. This is the reason why the vague "Gameplay" is always most important to the consumer: was the experience of the Game worth the Cost?

The skill quality of an online match is important, but that's not what people remember. They remember how well they enjoyed the Experience. Tilting the match making to align people with the experiences they're more likely to appreciate doesn't degree the Game, unless it's severe. What it does is align the Experience more with what the Player is likely to appreciate.

Though the best bit? This means EA can't do it!

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Though the best bit? This means EA can't do it!

They already have shortcuts to sell all those who don't want to git gud with a plane or class. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

League flirts with Pay to Progress by allowing you to unlock champions but most people only will master a handful so its not a big deal.

I would be hard pressed to call that pay to progress, due to the nature of League. It's not really a progression game when it comes to playing different champions since theoretically they start at the same base (balancing obviously sways that as well as nerfs and buffs).

They probably have more skin purchases than anything though.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

holy shit.

That's some beautiful insight. Maybe more on Friday?

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

And some people on these forums still don't believe social science is a tangible thing.

Don't try to trick us with your witch craft. But seriously, people really don't seem to understand the subtle at of persuasion and peer pressure.

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

As if I wasn't doing that... What about the other people that buy it? I have one online friend that spent over $2000 in League of Legends only (not to mention other games) yet he complains about his old PC which barely plays games.

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

Educate them

Sure, it's that obvious!

I just realized thanks to you that we can also solve world hunger by feeding the starving people!

1 hour ago, LinusTech said:

holy shit.

Satanic feces.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

that's why my main purchasing point is single player story. If it doesn't have that

shadow of war...

... assassin's creed origins...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 hour ago, Captain Chaos said:

ahahahahahah

you serious? have you seen the amount of idiots that play games? Shit, there's even a research that shows that gamers like to pay for season passes, paying in advance for content that doesn't exist, that you don't know if it will be good or bad, that you don't know how many hours it's going to add, that you don't know if it will ever come, that you don't know if it will even include all the DLCs released in that time frame!

Vote with your wallet? with these retards around?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>