Poor gaming performance

elert

Hey Guys

I just started playing Battlefield 1 and I'm struggling abit with my PC's performance in-game. It almost doesn't matter what settings i play the game with, I get lots of frame drops. I usually play on High settings and my FPS is mostly around 35-45FPS in areas with lots of action but again, this doesn't really change if i go to low/med settings..... I tried monitoring CPU and GPU and they are both performing at 100% - although the GPU sometimes just drops down alot. Im using MSI Afterburners monitoring to see this. Does anybody know what could be the solution to this? Ive seen several youtube videos with people having similar specs as me pull 60+ FPS even at Ultra settings, e.g. this guy:

I would REALLY appreciate any help / tips you might have. It is super frustrating playing a FPS game with heavy varying framerate. Thanks :i 

CPU: i5-4690k (non overclocked)!

GPU: r9 390 (non overclocked)

10 minutes ago, elert said:

CPU and GPU and they are both performing at 100% - although the GPU sometimes just drops down alot.

cpu bottleneck it is then
bf1 is pretty cpu heavy

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

I'm running at around 80c right now ....

So ive fiddled with settings and i'm now playing on ultra settings with 60FPS, wtf ...... Last times ive tried playing with these settings, the game has run terribly. Now im steady 60+... And because of this i had made a cfg file in my game folder with the following:

perfoverlay.drawfps 1
renderdevice.renderaheadlimit 2
gstrender.thread.maxprocessorcount 4
gametime.maxvariablefps 60

aswell as disabling dx12, disabling gpu memory restriction and turning everything to medium. So what I did now was simply cranking everything to ultra, deleting the cfg file - and it works -.-

*because i previously had bad performance on ultra - thats when i made the cfg file and decreased settings***

4 minutes ago, elert said:

Hey Guys

I just started playing Battlefield 1 and I'm struggling abit with my PC's performance in-game. It almost doesn't matter what settings i play the game with, I get lots of frame drops. I usually play on High settings and my FPS is mostly around 35-45FPS in areas with lots of action but again, this doesn't really change if i go to low/med settings..... I tried monitoring CPU and GPU and they are both performing at 100% - although the GPU sometimes just drops down alot. Im using MSI Afterburners monitoring to see this. Does anybody know what could be the solution to this? Ive seen several youtube videos with people having similar specs as me pull 60+ FPS even at Ultra settings, e.g. this guy:

I would REALLY appreciate any help / tips you might have. It is super frustrating playing a FPS game with heavy varying framerate. Thanks :i 

CPU: i5-4690k (non overclocked)!

GPU: r9 390 (non overclocked)

Check your temps

Turn off power saving mode in windows power manager (if its on) and change it to high performance.

Update drivers.

Thanks for the replies guys. Im now experiencing low fps again so i hasnt been solved after all. My CPU is at 100% during gameplay so maybe my CPU is in fact bottlenecking? Also my memory is running at 93%, is this a problem aswell?

On 17/10/2017 at 5:27 PM, elert said:

I'm running at around 80c right now 

CPU or GPU? Please provide temps for both

On 17/10/2017 at 8:41 PM, elert said:

Also my memory is running at 93%, is this a problem aswell?

What memory? System RAM or VRAM? 

How much RAM do you have in your system by the way? 

Also please quote people who reply to your post to notify them whenever your reply

8 hours ago, light-v said:

CPU or GPU? Please provide temps for both

What memory? System RAM or VRAM? 

How much RAM do you have in your system by the way? 

Also please quote people who reply to your post to notify them whenever your reply

OK :) That would the system ram i refered to which i see in the task manager

i have 8gb ram of 1600mhz and the r9 390 has 8gb of vram 

2 hours ago, elert said:

OK :) That would the system ram i refered to which i see in the task manager

i have 8gb ram of 1600mhz and the r9 390 has 8gb of vram 

93% RAM usage is definitely high so check what programs are hogging your system memory. 

Also you still haven't told what temperature your CPU and GPU are running under load. Is it 80c for both? 

Use HWMonitor to get the temps. 

Just now, light-v said:

93% RAM usage is definitely high so check what programs are hogging your system memory. 

Also you still haven't told what temperature your CPU and GPU are running under load. Is it 80c for both? 

Use HWMonitor to get the temps. 

Im using Realtemp for CPU which shows approx 70 degrees celcius even after I've overclocked the CPU to 4,5ghz xD And im using MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU temps which is around 70-80. 

11 minutes ago, elert said:

Im using Realtemp for CPU which shows approx 70 degrees celcius even after I've overclocked the CPU to 4,5ghz xD And im using MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU temps which is around 70-80. 

Alright temps are okay and the CPU is probably not the bottleneck as I can play BF1 at 60fps with a 4670K and the less than adequate GTX 960 2GB. 

RAM usage is the culprit here 

Just now, light-v said:

Alright temps are okay and the CPU is probably not the bottleneck as I can play BF1 at 60fps with a 4670K and the less than adequate GTX 960 2GB. 

RAM usage is the culprit here 

It may be, definately considering buying more ram ... Are u getting stable 60fps on ultra settings with those specs? :o 

8 minutes ago, elert said:

It may be, definately considering buying more ram ... Are u getting stable 60fps on ultra settings with those specs? :o 

Not on ultra, more like medium/high mind you but I have 8GB of RAM but it doesn't fill up at all