"Google's first mobile chip is an image processor hidden in the Pixel 2"

Original poster is The Verge: Link

Google announced something pretty cool today; there is a special little 8-core processor in the new Pixel 2, called the "Pixel Visual Core" and its purpose is to accelerate the HDR+ functionalities.

pixviscor.jpg

Image via Google

Can I just say that I think that the pixel 2 has the neatest features and I think that google did a darn good job

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

For anyone who knows, why is a solo chip like this necessary to help with HDR+ and such? Why couldn't the main processor do it? Is it really that intense?

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

Just now, Subduck said:

For anyone who knows, why is a solo chip like this necessary to help with HDR+ and such? Why couldn't the main processor do it?

I feel like it has something to do with that image recognition google search thing. Wouldn't something like that take up some resources? I think google put this in here so that the phone could use the chip while having the main processor do the main phone functions and such.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

6 minutes ago, Subduck said:

For anyone who knows, why is a solo chip like this necessary to help with HDR+ and such? Why couldn't the main processor do it? Is it really that intense?

it could be a ASIC or is far more efficient at image processing then the main chip. so it could be doing the HDR+ faster and with less power.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, Subduck said:

For anyone who knows, why is a solo chip like this necessary to help with HDR+ and such? Why couldn't the main processor do it?

According to the article, it sounds like the chip makes the HDR+ “5x faster and [use] less than 1/10th the energy” (Savov) as apposed to without. I think it is generally accepted at this point that the Pixel 2's camera capabilities are superior to any other phone on the market, so it must a pretty beneficial as apposed to just the main processor.

20 minutes ago, Subduck said:

because..... Google.

heheheheh :P

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

like I said earlier it cool but unless they fix somethings not sure if I can 100 percent bite the bullet on pixel 2 with the werid screen, not glass backed, and missing audio jack are alot for me.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

8 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

like I said earlier it cool but unless they fix somethings not sure if I can 100 percent bite the bullet on pixel 2 with the werid screen, not glass backed, and missing audio jack are alot for me.

y'know, the only thing that really holds me back from getting it (other than price, of course), is that I would have to go back to android. I like Android better than ios for certain, but Apple has a grip on me with iMessage. It's a real hindrance trying to communicate with basically anyone I know because of the BS that happens, trying to make group chats.

Ool though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 minutes ago, zramsey11 said:

y'know, the only thing that really holds me back from getting it (other than price, of course), is that I would have to go back to android. I like Android better than ios for certain, but Apple has a grip on me with iMessage. It's a real hindrance trying to communicate with basically anyone I know because of the BS that happens, trying to make group chats.

yeah that is one thing thats suck about android, I hope they fix that with Oreo.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

Does anyone know what manufacturing process it's made on and the die size? I'm actually curious.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, Eduard the weeb said:

not glass backed is a downside? That's an upside for me less glass to scratch or crack if it gets dropped.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

it could be a ASIC or is far more efficient at image processing then the main chip. so it could be doing the HDR+ faster and with less power.

from what they said on their blog post it doesn't sound like an ASIC. It's programmable and from their description sounds like each IPU core is just a bunch of ALUs wired together, though that's probably a simplistic view of it. 

Original source: https://www.blog.google/products/pixel/pixel-visual-core-image-processing-and-machine-learning-pixel-2/

24 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Does anyone know what manufacturing process it's made on and the die size? I'm actually curious.

wasn't announced. Will have to wait for someone to destroy one and do a teardown so we can find out.

44 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

wasn't announced. Will have to wait for someone to destroy one and do a teardown so we can find out.

I'm really curious about that. It would also be great to learn more about the cores that Google is using in it.

Perhaps Google may one day manufacture their own ARM based SoC for smartphones? Who knows...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

what a waste of space and battery, should have just put a bigger battery and headphone jack 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>