No Display on DVI After POST

Zonther

I built a new PC yesterday and noticed that I can't get a picture out of my DVI port.
I have an old GTX 770 with 2 DVI ports and both worked and upgraded to an RX 580 that I'm using 1 DVI and 1 HDMI port. I turned off the PC, unplugged the HDMI and turned on the PC to see if I can get a picture just out of the DVI port. The same thing happen, The screen showed the POST, can get into the BIOS, showed the windows logo and then the screen goes into stand by and will not go back on. I plugged in the HDMI cable back in while the PC was on and the other monitor came up. Neither windows or AMD's display drivers see the other screen. I'm at a lost right now.

I sold my old PC which was Intel and bought an AMD R5 1500X. I never had this problem before both were using windows 10 and fresh install.

7 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

Is it DVI on both ends or DVI to HDMI?

The DVI. I have one monitor connected to HDMI, I have no issues with that one. The other monitor just has a DVI and a VGA input. The drivers don't see the DVI output for some reason. With just the DVI cable plugged in, I can access the BIOS and see the windows logo when the PC is booting. After it gets into windows, it goes to standby and doesn't come back on.

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

F*** mis-read your post. sorry

Chicken Nuggets

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - Custom Loop | Motherboard -  MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM - Mushkin Redline (2x4GB) 2400Mhz   Graphics Card - GTX Titan X(Maxwell)  | Power Supply - Super Flower 80+ Gold 650w Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 256gb + 750 Seagate Hybrid + 1TB WD Green + Raid 0 4X500GB + Raid 1 500GB HDD Case - HAF-X | Colour Theme - Orange & Black | Monitor - ACER Predator x34 Overclock to 100hz

Just now, Hayabusa1989 said:

F*** mis-read your post. sorry

Np

1 minute ago, HalGameGuru said:

you have the monitor model number?

ViewSonic VX2035WM

That's an old model. What resolution is windows set to when its connected to DVI?

Just now, HalGameGuru said:

That's an old model. What resolution is windows set to when its connected to DVI?

it doesn't even see it. The GTX 770 did which I find is weird. It should be 1680 x 1050

The newer GPU may be expecting more communication at that res. try booting into safe mode and see if the lower res keeps the monitor active

1 hour ago, HalGameGuru said:

The newer GPU may be expecting more communication at that res. try booting into safe mode and see if the lower res keeps the monitor active

Atm I formatted windows and reinstalling it. Right now I'm connected only to the DVI which is working. Didn't want to resort to this but I hope this works.

1 hour ago, HalGameGuru said:

And safe mode didn't work either.

hmm. we had an issue like this with an older plasma screen via HDMI. it wound up being... I think the GPU Scaling setting? It just killed the picture. Screen went black, nothing would bring it back up. Had to plug in a different monitor via VGA and reset all the graphics settings to get the plasma back up.

12 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

hmm. we had an issue like this with an older plasma screen via HDMI. it wound up being... I think the GPU Scaling setting? It just killed the picture. Screen went black, nothing would bring it back up. Had to plug in a different monitor via VGA and reset all the graphics settings to get the plasma back up.

I the issue is windows nor AMD couldn't see the monitor. The format and reinstalling windows from scratch seems to be working. I'm waiting on the updates to be done and will try plugging in the HDMI cable. If that works, I have no idea what happen. 

26 minutes ago, HalGameGuru said:

No luck. I think its an windows update issue. The screen shut off during the installing the updates.

5 hours ago, HalGameGuru said:

You might be right. I installed the GTX 770 in the PCIe slot below the RX 580 boot up the PC, wait for it to tell me to restart, and now I have a second display again. I also plugged in the DVI cable that has HDMI (HDMI on that monitor sucks) and worked. So I guess that GPU didn't like my older monitor.

If it went down after a windows update did you try running DDU and installing the GPU drivers fresh from AMD? Windows may be overwriting something important with an older file