GTX 1070 suddenly stopped working

Mesto

So I’ve got an issue with my 1070.

It was working absolutely perfectly yesterday, games were playing fine and then today I go to turn my pc on and there’s no output to the monitor. I switched to on board graphics and sure enough, the gpu isn’t showing up on device manager. I’ve selected “show hidden devices” too and it’s not there either... 

ive tried taking it out and re-seating it, switching pci-e slots, uninstalling drivers (but now Nvidia refuse to install new ones because the card isn’t recognised on the system).

my specs:

i5-7500

GTX 1070 msi aero oc edition - with arctic accelero twin turbo iii cooler on it, not recently installed worked perfectly for months after I installed it.

16gb ddr4 Corsair vengeance 2400

mobo: Asus prime b250-plus

and psu: Corsair CX650M

Thanks in advance!

10 minutes ago, Mesto said:

It was working absolutely perfectly yesterday, games were playing fine and then today I go to turn my pc on and there’s no output to the monitor. I switched to on board graphics and sure enough, the gpu isn’t showing up on device manager. I’ve selected “show hidden devices” too and it’s not there either... 

ive tried taking it out and re-seating it, switching pci-e slots, uninstalling drivers (but now Nvidia refuse to install new ones because the card isn’t recognised on the system).

my specs:

i5-7500

GTX 1070 msi aero oc edition - with arctic accelero twin turbo iii cooler on it, not recently installed worked perfectly for months after I installed it.

Thanks in advance!

when the card is in are the fans spinning even when the card is not recognised

2 minutes ago, Punk91903 said:

when the card is in are the fans spinning even when the card is not recognised

Yep fans spin up

I had cards die before and the fans did not spin so there is some hope 

2 minutes ago, Mesto said:

Yep fans spin up

are the pice 8 or 6 pins in all the way can u trying cleaning the gold contacts with rubbing alcohol.

if everything is plugged well and good and windows still does not recognize the device then it's most likely dead, unfortunately.

And since you pulled the original cooler off the card it's probably no longer under any kind of warranty.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

19 minutes ago, Mesto said:

my specs:

i5-7500

Thanks in advance!

I've had issues with ASUS boards where you have the option to select the main GPU. Sometimes it's set for iGPU and bypasses you main GPU. Clear CMOS and try again?

id also check that the mobo power is in properly as the gpu get 75 of its watts through that, might be worth a check

3 minutes ago, Punk91903 said:

I had cards die before and the fans did not spin so there is some hope 

are the pice 8 or 6 pins in all the way can u trying cleaning the gold contacts with rubbing alcohol.

I’ve tried switching the pcie cable, I don’t have any rubbing alcohol to hand unfortunately so this isn’t something I can do at the moment

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

if everything is plugged well and good and windows still does not recognize the device then it's most likely dead, unfortunately.

And since you pulled the original cooler off the card it's probably no longer under any kind of warranty.

Yeah the card was second hand and I waited for it to get out of warranty. I knew the guy I bought it off and he didn’t bit coin mine or anything so I don’t think he abused it... not to my knowledge anyway

3 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I've had issues with ASUS boards where you have the option to select the main GPU. Sometimes it's set for iGPU and bypasses you main GPU. Clear CMOS and try again?

I’m a noob so I don’t actually know how to reset CMOS haha, if you could talk me through it that would be great

4 minutes ago, moltencrystal said:

id also check that the mobo power is in properly as the gpu get 75 of its watts through that, might be worth a check

Yeah I’ve un-plugged and plugged back in everything to do with the psu... this isn’t looking good ?

Just now, Mesto said:

I’m a noob so I don’t actually know how to reset CMOS haha, if you could talk me through it that would be great

Turn off the  PC, unplug it. Hold the power to discharge a bit more power. Then open it up. There is a small round battery on the board. Take it out. Hold the power button again for 10 to 15 seconds, out the battery back in and bit it back up.

6 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Turn off the  PC, unplug it. Hold the power to discharge a bit more power. Then open it up. There is a small round battery on the board. Take it out. Hold the power button again for 10 to 15 seconds, out the battery back in and bit it back up.

Is there anything I should do in the bios before properly booting up?

1 hour ago, Mesto said:

Is there anything I should do in the bios before properly booting up?

No, it'll default to factory settings after clearing CMOS

8 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

No, it'll default to factory settings after clearing CMOS

Tried this and still no success... looks like I’m looking  at a dead gpu. Thanks for your help and suggestions, everyone! 

id say try the gpu in another system, maybe ask a mate, it could be the psu having power issues for the 8pin and 6 pin power potentiality, im clutching at straws here tho but it could be the why i guess

5 hours ago, Mesto said:

Tried this and still no success... looks like I’m looking  at a dead gpu. Thanks for your help and suggestions, everyone! 

Sorry for your loss.

3 hours ago, moltencrystal said:

id say try the gpu in another system, maybe ask a mate, it could be the psu having power issues for the 8pin and 6 pin power potentiality, im clutching at straws here tho but it could be the why i guess

Good idea, I’m not sure I know anyone with a suitable psu... none of my friends have good desktop computers

1 minute ago, Mesto said:

Good idea, I’m not sure I know anyone with a suitable psu... none of my friends have good desktop computers

get one of amazon? if it fixes keep the new one else return it? 

3 minutes ago, moltencrystal said:

get one of amazon? if it fixes keep the new one else return it? 

Yeah okay, I’ll give this a go. I might as well! Can you recommend a reliable and decent priced psu? Is the one I’ve got not a good one?

there is a good thread here on ltt on this,

id go for an evga one personally, but anything in tier one is considered good, just make sure it has the required wattage and some overhead

• 1 month later...

My EVGA GTX 1070 SC stopped working one find day when I was playing Witcher 3. EVGA were quick to give a replacement and that worked!

The customer care guy said:

it is probably a blown capacitor. I hear it all the time

While I appreciate their prompt response... makes me wonder a little about quality of product