Used mx-4 after a delid

I know that recently liquid metal has been becoming increasingly popular. However, I can't really say with confidence that it is worth the risk of using. Considering it is conductive, that is enough to make me a bit nervous honestly. I just completed my first successful delid using mx-4, and ostensibly dropped 10-15 C under load. If these temps are confirmed, it makes liquid metal seem like a bit of an unnecessary risk to me. Thoughts? 

3 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

If you're happy with it (and you should be) then there is no reason to risk something conductive.

I agree with that. I risk a custom water-cooling loop. But to be honest, it really does not feel like such a risk. Only 2 out of my 6 fittings would drip upon components if a leak did occur, and there is always the possibility that if a leak occurs, and is properly cleaned that no damage will even occur. 

Well, liquid metal is known for its significant temperature reductions, so I see no problem. Liquid metal is definitely better then any other aftermarket thermal compounds and the risk seems unecessary in your use case, considering the improved temps under load.

Keep an eye on temps over time. I used MX-4 and MX-2, as well as the Noctua one for delids and found temperature increases over time. MX-4 and Noctua I put it down to them being runny, but even the thicker MX-2 did similar. I've only started trying liquid metal, it certainly provided a further improvement over conventional pastes, but too early to comment on longer term stability.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, porina said:

Keep an eye on temps over time. I used MX-4 and MX-2, as well as the Noctua one for delids and found temperature increases over time. MX-4 and Noctua I put it down to them being runny, but even the thicker MX-2 did similar. I've only started trying liquid metal, it certainly provided a further improvement over conventional pastes, but too early to comment on longer term stability.

That's why the Intel TIM is actually good.  It doesn't perform as well as most other pastes, but it lasts way longer.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 hours ago, TheBeastPC said:

Well, liquid metal is known for its significant temperature reductions, so I see no problem. Liquid metal is definitely better then any other aftermarket thermal compounds and the risk seems unecessary in your use case, considering the improved temps under load.

That's a good point, and I can understand people wanting the best possible performance out of their components. I know it is something I enjoy striving towards

3 hours ago, porina said:

About how long would you say this takes? I would guess a few months?

That's why the Intel TIM is actually good.  It doesn't perform as well as most other pastes, but it lasts way longer.

That is a good point, but do you think it is because of that black goop they use to hold the substrate and the IHS together aswell? 

18 minutes ago, Doomerson said:

That is a good point, but do you think it is because of that black goop they use to hold the substrate and the IHS together aswell? 

The adhesive is a huge part of the reason delidding makes a difference.  They use a ton of it.  Take a look at the link in my signature for more details.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 hour ago, Doomerson said:

About how long would you say this takes? I would guess a few months?

I didn't make precise notes but it was of the magnitude of several months.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

There’s a few factors which cause Intel CPUs to run so hot. The paste they use and there’s too much silicon which means the IHS is further away from the die. 

So so removing the extra silicon will net you some improvement, and better paste will also help. I saw a chart where someone compares different TIMs between the IHS and die, and the difference between liquid metal and normal paste was very significant. Almost 10C.

tldr: a lot of your improvement in thermals could be from just having less silicon adhesive and less thermal paste between the die and spreader. You could still probably pull another 5-10c out using a high quality liquid metal.

My experience with MX-4 is that it lasts longer then a year until it even starts drying. Its one of a few paste's thats known for its longevity.

But its cooling performance is a couple degrees worse then f.e. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

For delidding conductonaut is the best LM you can use. Since it wont dry.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

liquid metal will just short parts of the CPU and just needs cleaning off and will work straight after afaik, pretty sure GN got liquid metal on a delidded 7900x and then just wiped it off.

On 10/17/2017 at 9:52 AM, JoostinOnline said:

The adhesive is a huge part of the reason delidding makes a difference.  They use a ton of it.  Take a look at the link in my signature for more details.

Solid link in the signature, that picture you used actually helped paint a pretty clear picture why delidding can be so effective. I thought that the CPU PCB was called the substrate, is this a misunderstanding on my end?

1 minute ago, Doomerson said:

Solid link in the signature, that picture you used actually helped paint a pretty clear picture why delidding can be so effective. I thought that the CPU PCB was called the substrate, is this a misunderstanding on my end?

It is, but nobody knows what that means. xD

I also didn't make the picture myself.  I found it a long time ago (before I wrote that post) and it was in the Downloads folder on my phone.

It is, but nobody knows what that means. xD

I also didn't make the picture myself.  I found it a long time ago (before I wrote that post) and it was in the Downloads folder on my phone.

well done friend.

You misused the world ostensibly.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

57 minutes ago, dizmo said:

You misused the world ostensibly.

You have no way of actually knowing that, considering you have no way to know if I had a 100% solid understanding of my temps (I don't) or if I used a proper testing methodology (I didn't)