AMD Raven Ridge Performance Leaks - APU with GeForce MX150 Performance

Hot on the heels of the HP leak that showed the first AMD Raven Ridge based notebook that may be hitting store shelves later this year, another leak of potential Raven Ridge APU performance is cycling through. The AMD Ryzen 7 2700U with integrated Vega-based graphics architecture, and also rumored to have a ~35-watt TDP, is showing 3DMark11 graphics scores near that of the discrete NVIDIA GeForce MX150.

ravenridge3dm11.jpg.82d8d7e8b439873bc7e3b931342fdb92.jpg

With a graphics score of 4072, the integrated graphics on the upcoming AMD APU is slightly behind the score of 4570 from the MX150, a difference of 11.5%. Interestingly, the Physics score on the Raven Ridge APU of 6419 is solid as well, and puts an interesting light on the 8th gen KBL-R processors. As you can see in the graph below, from two systems we already have in-house with quad-core parts, CPU performance is going to vary dramatically from one machine to the next depending on the thermal headroom of the physical implementation

3dmark11.png.774da34629ff9ec758825ce5f08673bc.png

My thoughts on this can pretty much be concluded in "this is cool, but call me when desktop SKUs are out" but i'm sure somebody has some interest. Actual power usage seems to be up int he air as well, though as noted if its the rumored 35w it'll be more efficient than the intel CPU + MX150 by 5 watts. (Though not performing quite as well, so a give/take)  What i read was TDP not actual usage. Reading is hard.

For the full read:

https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Raven-Ridge-Performance-Leaks-APU-GeForce-MX150-Performance

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

is this the 4c8t apu? 

if it is then that sounds great! all we can hope is that it follows earlier apus and be cheaper than intels mobile chip

11 minutes ago, ImNotThere said:

is this the 4c8t apu? 

if it is then that sounds great! all we can hope is that it follows earlier apus and be cheaper than intels mobile chip

PCPer never mentioned core count but judging by the  by the HP machine running a quad core apu i thinks its safe to assume so.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

So close to a GTX 1030 ish In a APU? Sounds decent but i dont see this being any game changer besides for LOL or CSGO casual players being able to get cheap laptops and desktops. and will play some older games decent.  I think this really needs to be a somewhere around 1050 for most people to care so its worth it for gaming. 

2 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

So close to a GTX 1030 ish In a APU? Sounds decent but i dont see this being any game changer besides for LOL or CSGO casual players being able to get cheap laptops and desktops. and will play some older games decent.  I think this really needs to be a somewhere around 1050 for most people to care so its worth it for gaming. 

In general i would agree, especially as like i mentioned I personally have little to no interest in the mobile market currently. That said some have pointed out that we have no idea as to the RAM configuration in the tested machine and with APUs that has had a tendency to matter a lot in the past so we potentially may see more performance out of it. or potentially less if this was the optimal dual channel with fast ram.

Just now, Brainless906 said:

In general i would agree, especially as like i mentioned I personally have little to no interest in the mobile market currently. That said some have pointed out that we have no idea as to the RAM configuration in the tested machine and with APUs that has had a tendency to matter a lot in the past so we potentially may see more performance out of it. or potentially less if this was the optimal dual channel with fast ram.

Good points about Ram it does seem to make a difference Makes sense why since APU use the ram for Dedicated video ram.

I would like a okay gaming laptop that can play some games at 1080p Low-Med  like PUBG but i also dont want a 6LB 15 inch brick so i haven't really perused one lately. If it was just a little better it would be a great chip for a Lighter not powerful gaming and even productivity laptops at a great price 600-900 range Depending on the Manuf build Plastic metal ect. Im intrested if they release a slightly better or one that overclocks well to make it viable for current games at low. 

1 hour ago, Brainless906 said:

My thoughts on this can pretty much be concluded in "this is cool, but call me when desktop SKUs are out" but i'm sure somebody has some interest. Actual power usage seems to be up int he air as well, though as noted if its the rumored 35w it'll be more efficient than the intel CPU + MX150 by 5 watts. (Though not performing quite as well, so a give/take)

35W? What? The apu is 15w.

6 minutes ago, 8KDPS said:

35W? What? The apu is 15w.

Oops, i was looking at the 35w tdp. Reading is hard :(

1 hour ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

When you have manufactures like HP, Dell, Asus, Acer, etc... Making mainstream laptops for Mom, Dad, Granny, and students, this can be a very big deal. Yes it'll play Candy crush, and if the price can undercut Intel in budget devices, this will be a great option for many.

When can we expect APUs with HBM vram on die?What happened to the "APUs are the future"?

14 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

When can we expect APUs with HBM vram on die?What happened to the "APUs are the future"?

Probably never. Possibly in a few years.

It's expensive and increases package size substantially. 

Just now, Trixanity said:

Probably never. Possibly in a few years.

It's expensive and increases package size substantially. 

And why does it increase the price?This type of APU (with strong igpu) would demolish Intel's mobile CPUs.Why doesn't AMD use something other than hbm anyway?

2 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

And why does it increase the price?This type of APU (with strong igpu) would demolish Intel's mobile CPUs.Why doesn't AMD use something other than hbm anyway?

Hbm is very expensive to manufacteur. Adding hbm2 to the die would siginifcantly bump up the price. Amd committed to hbm very early on (not really sure why), it draws less power than gddr, and takes up less space. Amd probably betted on the price of hbm2 falling by now but were unfortunately let down.

Just now, MyName13 said:

Because someone has to pay over $100 for the memory chips. It'll also add complexity to the SoC design. The gains probably don't justify the cost and OEMs probably don't like how it'll push up the sticker price. Oh and it adds a lot of extra power to an already strained power budget for a mobile chip.

Because it's the best solution for high bandwidth and low power consumption (relatively speaking). GDDR5(X) needs a lot of chips in parallel to achieve high bandwidth and the power consumption increases in turn. There are others experimental memory solution but they need to get out of the lab first and then we run into the same problem as we have with HBM: low supply, high price.

2 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Well it's a game changer for AMD.

Because in previous years buying an AMD APU always meant that you are getting graphics performance better than Intel but CPU performance much worse than Intel. And most people didn't want to make that sacrifice.

Now that they have Zen cores with Vega graphics they can finally promote their APUs for laptops as an all around well performing product. Graphics performance much better than Intel competition and CPU performance roughly on par with Intel. TDP and battery life will be good too.

That's the idea I think... to compete with Intel. Not really trying to compete with the big ass bulky laptops which have Nvidia discrete GPUs in them.

17 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Well it's a game changer for AMD.

Because in previous years buying an AMD APU always meant that you are getting graphics performance better than Intel but CPU performance much worse than Intel. And most people didn't want to make that sacrifice.

Now that they have Zen cores with Vega graphics they can finally promote their APUs for laptops as an all around well performing product. Graphics performance much better than Intel competition and CPU performance roughly on par with Intel. TDP and battery life will be good too.

That's the idea I think... to compete with Intel. Not really trying to compete with the big ass bulky laptops which have Nvidia discrete GPUs in them.

Yeah AMD having any sort of processor has been huge This year in general. last year No one touched them without being the most budget cheap laptop and or desktops. I think that side of things is great. I feel like though The biggest difference here is the CPU actually being decent now and not the graphics for the average consumer.  Going from Intel On board to something slower then  a GTX 1030  i dont think will be a big improvement to the general user that Gap between them is empty for a reason. 

I Dont expect it to compete with Big ass bulky laptops. Im just saying if it was Just a little faster above the 1030 closer to 1050 Which is put into a lot of thinner computers not only bulky gaming ones.  it would be a awesome all around Laptop that could do some gaming at a say $600 price point  while having decent CPU also. And then it could be used in higher end type of systems that would be built better and thinner around the 900ish mark maybe a tad more.

TLDR: Cause i suck at writing sentences. 

we already have $600 Acer 15inch MX150 and intel CPU  i think if its going to join the competition it needs to stand out a little more. and dont think the performance between intels on board and say a  1030 is going to matter much to most people and personally i Think Closer to 1050 is where it starts to. 

2 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Yeah AMD having any sort of processor has been huge This year in general. last year No one touched them without being the most budget cheap laptop and or desktops. I think that side of things is great. I feel like though The biggest difference here is the CPU actually being decent now and not the graphics for the average consumer.  Going from Intel On board to something slower then  a GTX 1030  i dont think will be a big improvement to the general user that Gap between them is empty for a reason. 

I Dont expect it to compete with Big ass bulky laptops. Im just saying if it was Just a little faster above the 1030 closer to 1050 Which is put into a lot of thinner computers not only bulky gaming ones.  it would be a awesome all around Laptop that could do some gaming at a say $600 price point  while having decent CPU also. And then it could be used in higher end type of systems that would be built better and thinner around the 900ish mark maybe a tad more.

TLDR: Cause i suck at writing sentences. 

we already have $600 Acer 15inch MX150 and intel CPU  i think if its going to join the competition it needs to stand out a little more. and dont think the performance between intels on board and say a  1030 is going to matter much to most people and personally i Think Closer to 1050 is where it starts to. 

With limited internal space integrated graphics is the only option. That's what makes powerful integrated graphics interesting. Anyone can put a dedicated chip into a 15 inch laptop.

Performance is limited by no graphics memory. You can't expect integrated graphics to compete with a dedicated chip with GDDR5 memory. That it can match a Pascal chip is incredible considering you're looking at 25W TDP and gigabytes of dedicated memory.

Let's all remember that listed TDP does not necessarily mean much. This chip might very well drain a battery as quickly as a 7700HQ + MX150. 

7 hours ago, MyName13 said:

That was always a pipe dream, nothing more. Hbm was never on the table for raven ridge. We might see some form of dram cache, like intel crystal well at one point though. 

8 hours ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Think of it this way. You're effectively getting gtx 750ti levels of performance. That gpu isn't very old and is still widely used today. That's extremely competent for an igpu. 

On topic, i just realized nvidia brought back their geforce MX branding. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Pretty neat for a laptop based around AMD , But still not good enough for me to jump over . But depends on how they price it.

Details separate people.

35 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Pretty neat for a laptop based around AMD , But still not good enough for me to jump over . But depends on how they price it.

For mid-range machines this should be pretty baller but it you wont be tossing out your mobile i7/1060 combinations anytime soon. 500-700 dollar units will be among some of the better performing for their price range i'd think though.

10 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

On topic, i just realized nvidia brought back their geforce MX branding. 

Yea I thought MX150 was a mistake/typo or something lol

This looks promising. Would be a good laptop for many college students in fields that need a dedicated graphics performance but not a powerhouse. I mean if you need a computer to run CAD software this will be a very good budget option.

seems pretty nice tbh, decenlyt competative

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016