45 Drives products are NAS's?

Tcrumpen

I've been tasked with doing some price research for a server mounted 12 bay NAS and i recall watching Linus's server room upgrade and petabyte product when he mentioned protocase and 45 drives but he didn't mention if these devices are NAS's or conceptually just a really big external hard drive

Also if anyone has any good brands that would be useful, preferable if they are UK based or ship overseas

45 Drives makes rackmount chassis along with fully configured systems to use how you would like to use them, typically as a NAS. It's the OS that you install on to them and how you use it that makes it a NAS more than the hardware itself.

Just contact 45 Drives directly and they'll help you out.

Also have a look at options from QNAP, Synology, HPE StoreEasy. I've used QNAP a lot and find they have the best hardware for the price and has excellent software, most people recommend Synology but I think QNAP is better.

Also be careful or rack depth, make sure what you are going to buy actually fits.

"servers" are technically just pc's. it's the operating system that makes a server a NAS. you could install something like freenas on any pc, and make a nas out of it. 

She/Her