Help with Adaptec series 5 raid card

Nup
Go to solution Solved by Nup,

As pointed out by Linus, the drive sector type causes the incompatibility with the raid card.

It is written here in the lower section of the page, under "definition".

Always read the fine print folks! poorly done research costs.

"Note: native support for 4K sector drives is available with Series 7, 8, 7H, and 6H only." (the raid card in question is a series 5).

Hello - I have an Adaptec 5405z. I just received the cable to try it with the sas drive I have. 

When nothing was plugged into the card it boots fine and I can get into it’s bios. 

When I plug in the drive it fails to boot and I get “controller kernel panic”. 

I have tried different pcie slots and also have updated it to the latest firmware.

Considering that the card boots without drives I would think it is not broken. Any advice to point me in the right dictection is appreciated. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

Do you know if the drive itself is good?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

32 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Do you know if the drive itself is good?

I bought it from CEX, so they said it was tested (and I have a two year warranty). So I would assume so. But haven’t gotten to verify it myself. Thanks 

It sounds, at the outset, to be a communications issue between the card and the drive (duh, right?)

The trouble is you have 3 parts, all suspect.

The drive, 

the cable

the adapter

Without being able to test these parts on known good hardware, you're going to have quite a time with this.

How big is the SAS drive?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

It sounds, at the outset, to be a communications issue between the card and the drive (duh, right?)

The trouble is you have 3 parts, all suspect.

The drive, 

the cable

the adapter

Without being able to test these parts on known good hardware, you're going to have quite a time with this.

How big is the SAS drive?

Tis the most logical way of going about it - i was hoping to avoid it ;P

I will try the card with a regular sata drive, and the cable with another connector on the same bundle. Cant test the drive though. Might go to the engineering building of my college and see if they have spare parts.

The drive is 8TB, but the card i chose supports that size and has some support drivers for win 10, despite being EOL, which is why i chose it.

Yeah, let us know how it turns out, I'm curious which part was at fault.

Here's a thought, given the size of the hard drive, does the RAID card need a firmware patch/update to see one that big, or can it see it natively?

Littleupdate (@Radium_Angel, if you're morbidly curious):

The raid card works with a sata drive (and so also validates the cable). But still does not work with the sas drive.

So sas drive is the latest culprit.

Also it should support 8tb or more, and has been updates to the lastest firmware.

Is it a 4kn sector drive? You should post the part number. Many older RAID and HBA cards are not compatible with 4Kn drives. You'll need 512e drives.

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Is it a 4kn sector drive? You should post the part number. Many older RAID and HBA cards are not compatible with 4Kn drives. You'll need 512e drives.

Yes it is a 4kn drive (the model number is huh728080AL4200), thank you for pointing this out to me. I will look into it - but this seems to answer things!

As pointed out by Linus, the drive sector type causes the incompatibility with the raid card.

It is written here in the lower section of the page, under "definition".

Always read the fine print folks! poorly done research costs.

"Note: native support for 4K sector drives is available with Series 7, 8, 7H, and 6H only." (the raid card in question is a series 5).

Glad you found the issue

10 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Glad you found the issue

Thanks man, have any cheap hba/raid card recommendations? :P