R9 390 throttling at 94 C

Caazje

Hello,

My MSI R9 390 has been acting up lately.

I know it  is a hot card, but the last couple of days it has been throttling when reaching 94 degrees Celsius (200F approx.).

My room has an ambient temperature of about 20C, and it used to have no problems at all. Even mid summer when my room was 30 degrees it would not throttle when playing at max settings.

The clocks drop to about 500mHz when playing, and i keep getting messages that the max temp has been reached.

This happens with, and without an OC on it. (from 1040mHz to 1100mHz, and 1% power increase)

I'm not sure what to do, as the store i bought it from has gone bankrupt, and direct contact with MSI has been shut down by them before.

Could i reaply new thermalpaste, or should i replace the unit?

Thank you. 

*Edit: clock speeds from 1540 to 1040 and 1600 to 1100. Thanks for pointing that out, those are the memory? speeds.

Edited by Caazje

Build: 4690K @ 4.3Ghz, Z97 Asrock, 16GB RAM, R9 390, Fractal Design R5 Blackout

A 390 @1540MHz ? Am it not update date or is that ridiculously high?

Are all fans working? How is case ventilation? Try undercoating the core and turning up fans. How old is it? Maybe reapply toothpaste 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Try cleaning, repaste and even undervolting

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

3 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Are all fans working? How is case ventilation? Try undercoating the core and turning up fans. How old is it? Maybe reapply toothpaste 

Considering Google says reference clocks are ~1000 Mhz, that's an >50% boost.

6 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

My bad, had the wrong frequency in mind. I originally bought it on release in 2015. But this model was send back to me by MSI in februari 2017 after an RMA.

Not sure if this is the exact same one i sent MSI. Fans are at 100% when at 80 C

redo the thermal paste and undervolt

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

1 minute ago, McHox said:

redo the thermal paste and undervolt

Can i use any type of thermal paste?

Because i only have Arctic Silver 5 lying around

26 minutes ago, Caazje said:

Seems fine to me. The improvement would only be a few degrease at maximum if your current paste is not a completely dried out mess. Then it would be more. Or you could buy some liquid metal for really large improvements. YOu got to be careful though since it is conductive!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

12 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Or you could buy some liquid metal for really large improvements. YOu got to be careful though since it is conductive!

I dont think i am comfortable with that. i most likely will try to replace the thermal paste this weekend, after some cleaning first.

Check your fan curve. Might have been reset.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

8 hours ago, Caazje said:

Arctic silver 5 can conduct so I'd spend the 5 dollars and get some Arctic Mx 4 to essentially remove the risk of damaging your card. 

3 minutes ago, SlaughterSmurf said:

Arctic silver 5 is conductive judt like liquid metal. I'd spend the 5 dollars and get some Arctic Mx 4 to essentially remove the risk of damaging your card. 

*not supposed to be electrically conductive but it can conduct ;) 

Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)