World's First 5g Smartphone Chip

DroidIt!

The main article about Qualcomm producing the first 5g modem came from Android Headlines and can be read here https://www.androidheadlines.com/2017/10/qualcomm-snapdragon-x50-is-worlds-first-5g-modem-for-smartphones.html.

I personally kind of have a hard time believing that 5g speeds will be achieved any time soon. As far as I can tell, according to the ITU-R (International Telecommunications Union Radio) communications sector, to be considered true 4g, a network needs to have peak download speed of 1 Gbit/s or about 125 Mb/s. We never came close to that. The highest I've ever personally seen on an uncongested off-peak time on T-Mobile in the US is about 10 Mb/s. All the 4g/LTE crap you've heard over the years is marketing hype. The governing bodies that set the standards let carriers get away with labeling non-4g services as 4g as far as I can tell.

Now, advancement is always good. A better modem is always welcome, especially if it can increase current mobile data speed on existing infrastructure. However, it's my opinion we won't see true 5g for a long time. 4g as a standard has been around for years and we don't REALLY even have that yet.

I get 50Mb/s outside of city and 100Mb/s in the city... T-Mobile (different country)

When I visited Japan they had 4G everywhere... even in the freaking forest outside of city. I am quite sure that 5G will be a big hit in most of Asia.

US telecom market is pretty bad when it comes to speed, 4G in the US means 10Mb/s in the city where as Canada its 100Mb/s.

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.

Wait WTF but 5G isn't even finalized yet?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

To be fair, Those towers probably have a single gigabit fibre connection so the instant more than one person is using it you lose the ability to hit gigabit, and then the backbone is probably all running over gigabit so there will be congestion all the way back to the core connection in the city or a main hub where it might go up to like 10 or 40Gb/s. It would work well enough for certification but real world use it will fall right on it's face. Much like most wireless routers promising over gigabit on wireless and ISPs selling "up to" packages.

:) Ok, ok. Good to know. Lol, I can't even imagine 100 Mb/s. Yeah, I'm in the Chicago area and I have an app that puts internet speeds on my status bar. I know I've never hit 11 Mb/s. From what I've read it'll obviously need to be higher frequency to achieve the kind of speeds they're looking at, hence short range. So mainly stationary targets, or perhaps onboard a plane or train. It'll be interesting to see power draw along with everything else.

I just did a speed test in Victoria BC on Rogers LTE and got 40Mb down. Don't see 5G coming here any time soon. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Wait WTF but 5G isn't even finalized yet?

The NR spec is currently in an early preview state, and is planned to be finalized in 2019.

The x50 modem is based on the preview spec and is designed to be an early test product to validate usecases like wireless FTTP (fibre to the premises) connections. It's compatible with only one other base-station modem. It's not, at least yet, intended for use in mobile devices.

5 hours ago, WereCat said:

I get 50Mb/s outside of city and 100Mb/s in the city... T-Mobile (different country)

When I visited Japan they had 4G everywhere... even in the freaking forest outside of city. I am quite sure that 5G will be a big hit in most of Asia.

Asia and Scandinavia. 

I get to up to ~120Mbps on LTE during rush hour. 

This is my phone earlier this year http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2847594921

on LTE here in Sweden just now, got 48.3mbit/s down. but its pretty congested probably seeing as its lunch time and im in the middle of the city i live. depressing how this is still almost 4 times the speed i get on my ADSL at home

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

In a really crappy reception area (my workplace, yay!) I've just got 22mbps down. Normally will get above 60mbps, and the best I've got was about 160-170mbps, but then again, I'm not in 'murica. We also have 99% LTE coverage, I can't think of the last time I actually dropped to HSDPA 3G except in 1 friends house, and thats because he neighbours keep objecting to a new phone mast in their area.

Ok. Soooo, moral of the story is the US is really really behind pretty much every other developed nation in terms of mobile data speed. :) Funny how T-Mob in the US sounding like it has THE worst speeds of anywhere. Well, hopefully we'll catch up a bit when 5g goes live and modems start being put in phones.

I mean all great. I have 4G and can get over 200Mbps when good coverage. But these speeds with data limits are useless. 

Fiber infrastructure needs to advance faster and move away from shitty adsl already. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

on LTE here in Sweden just now, got 48.3mbit/s down. but its pretty congested probably seeing as its lunch time and im in the middle of the city i live. depressing how this is still almost 4 times the speed i get on my ADSL at home

My condolences that you have to live in such a 3rd world country. You should go across the border to the north west or south west. Much better speeds.

Just now, Prysin said:

My condolences that you have to live in such a 3rd world country. You should go across the border to the north west or south west. Much better speeds.

getting fiber to the house was over $4000 so the familly deceided not to do it, we could go higher on our speed plan but we arent getting what we are paying for right now so i dont think its going to get much better if we step it up anyway -_- 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

getting fiber to the house was over $4000 so the familly deceided not to do it, we could go higher on our speed plan but we arent getting what we are paying for right now so i dont think its going to get much better if we step it up anyway -_- 

Like i said you should go seek refugee status in Norway or Denmark. Those speeds are straight up 3rd world. 

This is what I get at home (LTE/wifi coax respectively) 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3299512102

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3299520425

That's my speed. I can't get more than 100/30 on my old Coax line, but 100/30 just isn't worth it 

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

Like i said you should go seek refugee status in Norway or Denmark. Those speeds are straight up 3rd world. 

This is what I get at home (LTE/wifi coax respectively) 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3299512102

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/3299520425

That's my speed. I can't get more than 100/30 on my old Coax line, but 100/30 just isn't worth it 

its going to get better once i move in a few years. untill then il just have to deal with the incredably shitty speed. got no real choice. the copper to this house is thin as hell from what i know so thats kind of the bottleneck when i ask my ISP

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

its going to get better once i move in a few years. untill then il just have to deal with the incredably shitty speed. got no real choice. the copper to this house is thin as hell from what i know so thats kind of the bottleneck when i ask my ISP

whats your provider? Telia? Telenor?

Coax, depending on how many is on it, can easily hold 200-300Mbps

Just now, Prysin said:

whats your provider? Telia? Telenor?

Coax, depending on how many is on it, can easily hold 200-300Mbps

Telia. just got phone line in, no Coax AFAIK. used to have satelite TV so no cable TV was ever drawn in. dont have the exact plans on this stuff checked but thats what i remember. only ADSL over the phoneline available to me and for pretty stupid prices. its like $40/month for this speed

Builds:

Spoiler

In the early days of 4G before everyone was really using it... I had just gotten a new phone. I remember achieving speeds around 80 mbit/s. 

As time went on, this just slowly got slower and slower and slower. Now it's usually somewhere around 10 mbit/s around here. 

I bet 5G will be the same thing... just on slightly higher scale. perhaps we could all get 100 mbit/s or so. Idk.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

No thanks, my HSPDA+ speeds of 32/4Mbps is more than enough plus it consumes a lot less power than even 4G so...I think I'll stick to 3G ;) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :)