Building Ms.Pac-Man that they should have released for Game Stop

Hi, have a Raspberry Pie 2 laying around. Also a Ms. Pac-Man battery operated device. The problem is that it is fake as hell. The Atari 2600 port was better. Anyway I tore it apart. Her is a list of what I have right now.

10" tn display with driver board.

USB NES controller I don't need.

Raspberry Pie 2

Tons of Cell-Phone charger batteries with 3 USB charging ports. They will run the Pie and Screen and a set of speakers in stereo.

A mini SD card. Around 8 GB is fine for that.

Sanwa Joy-Stick. Because screw that crappy original one that was built in. it goes up or down when you push it left or right at times.

Sanwa like china buttons that are fine for that. they are red. That is fine for that.

I want to use this for the front of a home made portable cab.  I started it tonight. I installed the Joystick.

Here is are some pics of the parts that I will be using.

I hope the Screen still works. The metal around it so banged up.

I need to hone out the button holes and hollow out the bottom of the control case. The stick seems to fit good surprisingly.

The USB NES controller has enough buttons to hack. Soldering will be tough. Pad lift easy. Hot glue will be used. It is only 4 buttons and 4 directions. Start, Select, B, A. Start for Coin. A for 1, and B for 2. Start and Select need to be used for Menu options. I will need to work that out.

I will use 3/4 ply woos so it is heavy. I hate light video game devices that have controls.

Joy-Stick barely fits.

Wiring will be fun.

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

28 minutes ago, Eric Kazer said:

Hi, have a Raspberry Pie 2 laying around. Also a Ms. Pac-Man battery operated device. The problem is that it is fake as hell. The Atari 2600 port was better. Anyway I tore it apart. Her is a list of what I have right now.

10" tn display with driver board.

USB NES controller I don't need.

Raspberry Pie 2

Tons of Cell-Phone charger batteries with 3 USB charging ports. They will run the Pie and Screen and a set of speakers in stereo.

A mini SD card. Around 8 GB is fine for that.

Sanwa Joy-Stick. Because screw that crappy original one that was built in. it goes up or down when you push it left or right at times.

Sanwa like china buttons that are fine for that. they are red. That is fine for that.

I want to use this for the front of a home made portable cab.  I started it tonight. I installed the Joystick.

Here is are some pics of the parts that I will be using.

I hope the Screen still works. The metal around it so banged up.

I need to hone out the button holes and hollow out the bottom of the control case. The stick seems to fit good surprisingly.

The USB NES controller has enough buttons to hack. Soldering will be tough. Pad lift easy. Hot glue will be used. It is only 4 buttons and 4 directions. Start, Select, B, A. Start for Coin. A for 1, and B for 2. Start and Select need to be used for Menu options. I will need to work that out.

I will use 3/4 ply woos so it is heavy. I hate light video game devices that have controls.

Joy-Stick barely fits.

Wiring will be fun.

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IMG_0141.JPG

IMG_0142.JPG

are you gonna post any updates tomorrow?

My favorite restaurant is hooters

Here are some more pics. That somewhat finishes control panel. Still need buttons for start, select. Allot of Dremal work. Need to set up image and USB NES controller. Hve a 64 GB mini sd card laying around. it;s overkill but I'll use it. Also dremel for buttons to fit.

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

Ugly inside. Next thing is Image.

Here is a list of what I want to put on it in advance MAME.

Ms. Pac-Man

Ms. Pac-Man II

Ms. Pac-Man Plus

Ms. Pac Man Fast

Ms. Pac-Man Heart Burn

Ms. Pac-Man/Galaga- 20th Anniversary Class of 1981 Reunion

I wired the Joy Stick and the A and B buttons today. Controller works great for Ms. Pac-Man. I will need to show pictures as I am assembling it. Hint I had to remove the PCB from the Sanwa Joy-Stick. There is no common on the NES controller. The Sanwa Stick is accurate. Much more so than the D-Pad was. It didn't work right with the D-Pad. Thats why I used it for this project. Not the worst thing to wire. Of course I can solder. Time consuming. I stopped at 7:30. Started around 4:30ish. The wiring for Start and Select works. Tested by shorting wires together on both to exit ROM. I am finding a Theme that works. It is saving High Scores. I am having much better luck tonight. Did noy have to install Feature Update on Windows 10 tonight. Last night sucked for working on it because it took 3 hours to sort everything on the computer. I imaged tonight. Than sshed into the Pie and installed the ROMs.

I have Ms. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Attack, Ms. Pac-Man Plus, and Pac-Man.

It is working on the Pie.

Starting the cab tonight. Try to See what I am doing. I suck at wood work. I'm working on the front of it.  I will keep it posted. Select is on the left for coin. Start is on the right for 1 player start. Maybe I can bind A and B to 1 and 2 player.

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

Did A for 1, and B for 2. Works kind of like it would have in the arcade. More Cab work ahead.

Doing more work to the cab. May have found place to put Pie with with offs. HDMI cable is holding it in place. I will have to glue a thin panel in front. Under the controls is just a box. 10 inch panel will work well. Want to get IPS panel because they look great. I should mount it high above the stick. Around 4 inches would be nice. on the Robert Baytes Porta-Pie the stick gets in the way. That is my only complaint about the. The 10" IPS panel looks awesome in that. The is running fine on a phone battery.

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

Her are some pics of the Porta Pie. That was running screen, Pie, and Stereo audio amp (6 watts).

IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

I started the screen mount tonight. I want to use a IPS display. Here is the link to new egg. This is the same display that I cut the circuit board in half on the fit inside the porta pie.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3525527072

This is a very nice looking display compared to TFT one that originally had in it.

This is what I want to use again. I went through order history to find link.

I got the sides on. Need to work on Audio, screen and top of cab. Ruffing it all together. 

Here is the list of games that I have on it:

MAME Lebrito (how ever it's spelled)

Dig Dug 2

Galaxian (Namco Set 1)

Jr. Pac-Man

Mappy

Ms.Pac Attack

Ms. Pac-Man

Ms. Pac-Man Plus

Pac-Land

Pac-Man (Midway)

Pac-Man Plus

Pac-Mania

MAME Advance MAME

Bosconian (new version)

Dig Dug

Dig Dug 2 (New Version)

Galaga

NES

Ms.Pac-Man Namco (the only game the thing came with)

Ms. Pac-Man (Tengen) They should have used that insted.

Atari 2600

Ms. Pac-Man

Atari 7800

Ms. Pac-Man

SNES

Pac-Attack

Ms.Pac-Man

I think that's it.

I installed Dragon Spirit last night. I installed it in libretro. It worked.

• 2 weeks later...

I Got the Screen today. First pic is the test. Second Ms Pac-man intro. Third maze. Fourth Pac-Land. It's a 10" IPS display. 

I cut the PCB to Make it fit inside the Cab. It's in at a diagonal. Only way I could get ribbon cable into ZIF Connector. 

Looks Good. 

Just need Audio. 11 Dollar Family Dollar speakers. 2 of them for Stereo. Pac-Mania has it.

Not Done, It's coming together.

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0171.JPG

IMG_0172.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

IMG_0176.JPG

Just need to try batteries. 1 for Screen and audio, 1 for Pie. Need seperate power because of known noise issue with Pie. Will have 2 USB plugs for power.

I bought Logitech S120 shitty speakers and tore them apart. They are from Wal-mart for 12 bucks so it didn't manner. It works. you won't see the back of it. 

Just rip them apart  and throw out the internal PSU if yo are going to use a cell phone charge battery. 

Whit is Negative power. Green is Positive power. Using a old USB cable you can connect the green wire to positive the red on USB cable and white to black wire on USB cable.

Leave the Right side connected to amp and remove the left  make cable plug from speaker proper length. Don't mod the headphone from Raspberry Pie cable that plugs into three pin header. Put sheet metal screw in to knob because it was not long enough.

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

• 1 month later...

How's the build going? Was loving this thread and am definitely keen to see it finished

• 2 weeks later...

I have not used it lately. It works. Need to dress it up. Good IPS screen. Audio is OK. It's loud enough.