2 monitors 1 port

Timelord1997
Go to solution Solved by emosun,

yeah then your only option will be a usb gpu for basic tasks only like destop and movies and such , no real gaming on the second monitor

Is there a way for me to extend my displays between 2 monitors using a hdmi splitter? My graphics card only has a single hdmi out port. 

5 minutes ago, Timelord1997 said:

Is there a way for me to extend my displays between 2 monitors using a hdmi splitter? My graphics card only has a single hdmi out port. 

A splitter will only duplicate the image, HDMI does not support multiple independent video streams on a single port.

Use an adapter from one of your other video ports.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?input=HDMI

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

A splitter will only duplicate the image, HDMI does not support multiple independent video streams on a single port.

Use an adapter from one of your other video ports.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/

The only problem with that is my graphics card only has hdmi coz it’s for a very compact case :(

1 minute ago, Timelord1997 said:

The only problem with that is my graphics card only has hdmi coz it’s for a very compact case

what kind of gpu only has a single hdmi port?

1 minute ago, emosun said:

what kind of gpu only has a single hdmi port?

Well my pc is the Alienware alpha r2. It was all I could afford at the moment. I hate student debts :( and the gpu is a gtx 960 with 1 hdmi in and 1 hdmi out port. 

yeah then your only option will be a usb gpu for basic tasks only like destop and movies and such , no real gaming on the second monitor

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

That’s the plan. Do you have any recommendations for a ubs gpu? 

4 minutes ago, Timelord1997 said:

That’s the plan. Do you have any recommendations for a ubs gpu? 

idk I've never had to buy one I suppose whatever is in your budget and compatible with your second monitor

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=usb+to+hdmi&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Well, there could be a workaround but i'm not sure how well would work.

You could use a HDMI to DVI adapter and then use a device like Matrox DualHead2Go Digital Edition which takes in one DVI signal (up to 3840x1200 60Hz) and outputs two digital signals , up to 1920x1200 I guess.

You can find these things on eBay for around 50-70$, here's one listing as an example.

This particular version of DualHead2Go is ... "problematic" would be the first thing that comes to mind.  Why.. well DVI is really in two varieties, DVI Single Link which can handle up to 1920x1200 60Hz or DVI Dual Link which can handle maximum 2560x1600 (or whatever combination fits under 7.92 gbps , which includes 3840x1200 at 60Hz which is officially supported by the device).

The problem is you only have a HDMI connector and there's practically no HDMI to DVI passive adapters that are "dual link", or at least none that I'm aware of. So... chances are even though the HDMI port is 2.0 which can do up to 4K at 60Hz no problems, I'm not sure you'd be able to "adapt" the hdmi to dual link dvi in order to push more than 1920x1200 60Hz into the device. It MAY recognize 3840x1200 at 30 Hz if you create this custom resolution in Windows, which would then be enough for watching movies or browsing, but won't do for gaming.

There's also a Matrox DualHead2Go DP edition which uses mini displayport connectors, here's a listing. You'll need a HDMI to DisplayPort cable or some adapter to convert your HDMI to DisplayPort but these should be more readily available and without compatibility issues.

Once you get 3840x1080 or whatever into this thing, it will spit out two 1920x1080 on its displayport outputs, and then you could easily use two  DisplaPort to HDMI/DVI/whatever cables or adapters to connect your monitors.

If you decide to risk it, just make sure you're not buying the VGA ony version, which takes in some vga signal (up to 2560x1200) and outputs signal on two vga connectors.

It's more expensive but if you get it to work, it's much better than using a USB based video card, which really would only work for browsing and movies, and would really use the cpu because there'd be a lot of transfer on the USB port. It may even slow down your computer while you're gaming.

Here's another listing for DP edition, and also note that there's a DualHead2Go Digital Edition SE edition which has one DisplayPort input and two DVI outputs (so you can use DVI to HDMI adapters or DVI-HDMI cables with it).  Here's the datasheet/manual for all versions (see page 36)