Huawei Mate 10/10 Pro specs released: More embedded AI

WMGroomAK

Huawei released the specifications for it's soon to be released Mate 10 series of smartphones.  While Huawei is maintaining it's partnership with Leica and still using a Kirin processor, they are upgrading the bits and pieces to make a fairly interesting product.

59e520e0e0005_Mate10Pro.jpg.970efb67a04711102b3a1da40452fa12.jpg

Specs:

Processor:  Kirin 970 CPU: 4 Cortex A53 at 1.84 GHz & 4 Cortex A73 at 2.36 GHz; GPU: ARM Mali-G72 MP12; Dedicated Neural-network Processor at 1.92 TFLOPs 16-bit on 10nm

Display: Mate 10 at 2560 x 1440 RGBW LED (5.9-inch 16:9 aspect) & Mate 10 Pro at 2160 x 1080 AMOLED (6.0-inch 18:9 aspect) both supporting HDR10

RAM: Mate 10 at 4 GB of LPDDR4X-1833, Mate 10 Pro at 4 or 6 GB of LPDDR4X-1833

NAND: Mate 10 at 64 GB, Mate 10 Pro at 64 or 128 GB.  Mate 10 Porsche at 256 GB (all support MicroSD storage up to 256 GB)

Battery: 4000 mAH (All Models)

Camera:  Dual Rear Leica Cameras (Color at 12 MP f/1.6, Monochrome at 20 MP f/1.6) with OIS, HDR, dual-tone LED flash, 4-way focus (PDAF, Laser AF, Contrast AF, Depth) Front Camera 8 MP f/2.0 

Additionally both phones will sport USB 2.0 Type-C connectors, however the Mate 10 Pro will be ditching out the 3.5 mm headphone jack in order to achieve an IP67 rating.  Pricing is anticipated to start at around 699 Euros for the base Mate 10 and the full Mate 10 Pro (6/128) should be around 799 Euro with the Mate 10 'Porsche' costing smooth 1349 Euros.  

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11935/huawei-mate-10-pro-hands-on-with-kirin-970

This morning Huawei is taking the wraps off of their latest generation flagship smartphone, the Mate 10 series. Powered by subsidiary HiSilicon’s Kirin 970 SoC, the new phones are a mix of something old and something new for the company. With a design that is not simply a carbon copy of the earlier Mate phones but is still very much a traditional smartphone, Huawei’s latest flagships are a mix of old and new; tried and true paired with the cutting edge. It’s an interesting balancing act, and one that, if consumers agree, will further bolster Huawei’s success in the international smartphone market while at the same time pushing a nascent technology to the forefront of the mobile industry.

The Mate 10 comes with a 5.9-inch FullView display, using a glass front for the 2560x1440 LCD display, coming in at 499 pixels per inch. Huawei is quoting panels capable of a 1500:1 contrast ratio, while the color space is listed at a less-than-useful metric of 96% NTSC.

The Mate 10 Pro (and Porsche Design) are slightly bigger with their 6.0-inch displays, although this time it comes with an OLED screen at 2160x1080 resolution. This is a lower pixel density (402 ppi) and resolution compared to the regular Mate 10, but is rated at 112% NTSC and 7000:1 contrast. The smaller resolution and use of OLED might also assist in battery life as well, and overall the unit is lighter than the Mate 10.

There is no difference between each of the devices for the SoC inside, with each device getting the full-fat Kirin 970. This means four ARM Cortex A73 cores at 2.36 GHz and four ARM Cortex A53 cores at 1.8 GHz. These are paired with Mali G72 MP12 graphics (at an unstated frequency), the i7 sensor processor, and Huawei’s new Neural Processing Unit, or NPU (more on this later).  All of the units will use Huawei’s latest Category 18 integrated LTE modem, capable of 1.2 Gbps download using 4x4 MIMO on 3-carrier aggregation with 256-QAM. Each device supports dual-SIM LTE concurrently (along with dual-SIM VoLTE), although this limits downloads to Category 16. Uploads are at Category 13.

Only one option for memory and storage is available with the Mate 10, with Huawei settling on 4GB of LPDDR4X DRAM and 64GB of NAND for storage, with microSD card support further augmenting that, though by taking one of the SIM slots. For some reason it says limited to 256GB, though I will ask about the new 400GB microSD cards.

The Mate 10 Pro will be available in 4GB/64GB and 6GB/128GB versions, although the latter will be dependent on region – we are told around 20 countries are on the initial list. The Mate 10 Porsche Design model will be only available in a 6GB/256GB configuration, similar to last year.

All the devices come with the typical dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi support, extending to BT4.2, and will include NFC. All three devices use USB Type-C, but only the base model has a headphone jack. Despite the Mate 10 Pro/PD being physically bigger than the standard Mate 10, all three devices use a 4000 mAh battery which is TUV certified for SuperCharge. That in itself is fairly large for a modern flagship, which is perhaps a benefit of only a few smartphone companies now competing in the ‘under 7mm’ metric for thickness. The Huawei devices come in at 8.2mm and 7.9mm for that.

The cameras on all the devices are identical as well, with Huawei further leveraging the Leica band cooperation. The front camera is an 8MP f/2.0 unit, while the rear camera does something a little bit different this time around. The dual camera is vertical, like the Mate 10, but without the extra protective shroud around the lenses. The cameras are similar 12MP RGB and 20MP monochrome, as found on last year’s flagships, although this time they are both f/1.6 and using Leica SUMMILUX-H lenses with AI-powered bokeh. This allows for ‘2x hybrid zoom’ (which we established last year is more like a crop than a zoom), but the phones also have 4-way focus (PDAF, CAF, Laser, Depth) and have a dual LED flash.

If you're interested in the NPU that Huawei is employing in the Mate 10, I would encourage reading the Anandtech Article as they have a good breakdown on how it is being implemented and what the limitations are...  The immediate implementation of it though is being used as a sort of on the fly photo processor where it will integrate with the camera to detect the scene being photographed and try to adjust with 14 presets to get the 'best image'.  The other application is a tie-in with Microsoft Translate to allow for offline language translation.  Of note on the NPU/AI front is that Huawei is not limiting the development of apps to their Kirin API, but is also allowing for apps to use the Tensorflow or Caffe 2 API for development of apps to use the NPU. Depending on how it performs, it may be an interesting alternative to the Samsung/Apple/Pixel offerings that are currently out there, especially if applications are developed that utilize the NPU.

Ars Tech Article: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/huawei-bets-big-on-ai-features-in-new-mate-10-and-mate-10-pro-smartphones/

*Edit*

After digging deeper:

No headphone jack is a huge downgrade but not a deal breaker.

IP67 on only 1 model however... that's just utter bullshit

Camera seems nice but it will be seen how well it actually performs in the real world

OIS is a huge importance to me as my current phone doesn't have it at all so for a new phone it needs to be on both cameras or not at all

Don't know anything about EMUI but i'd probably just flash it to something else as soon as i could :P 

Right now as someone who's looking for a new phone its a maybe.

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

I was interested in these phones until I saw that they made compromises between the two. No IP67 on both models? Unacceptable to me. Only OIS on one camera is disappointing, though the dual 1.6 aperture is nice. They don't state the type of memory used, which is a huge slight against a company known for fudging previous devices. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

15 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

will be ditching out the 3.5 mm headphone jack in order to achieve an IP67 rating.

That's just a excuse so they can copy Apple.We all know that you can make waterproof phones with a headphone jack

My life

I've tested a lot of flagship phones from different brands because of the nature of my business.

And I can say that the dual camera in P and Mate Series is superb. Battery consumption is also great, it could be 4kmAh or the KIRIN chipset itself. The only downside for is the EMUI , navigation and design needs more improvement.

12 hours ago, BryL said:

I've tested a lot of flagship phones from different brands because of the nature of my business.

And I can say that the dual camera in P and Mate Series is superb. Battery consumption is also great, it could be 4kmAh or the KIRIN chipset itself. The only downside for is the EMUI , navigation and design needs more improvement.

EMUI 5 was a noticeable upgrade in terms of navigation and almost a complete redesign  of many default apps to reduce the number of inputs needed to get to a specific setting/app feature.

The real question is why one needs a 1.26 TOPS AI chip in a phone. Sure offline photo tagging may be neat but all other things such as 'to make the phone stay fast' should be completed using normal methods, not something which basically guesses what to do next. Let alone if they decide to introduce ANOTHER assistant which would probably still run in the cloud.

Interesting Pro haves lower resolution. The Porsche one so expensive! 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

interesting indeed

Life is easy, all you have to do is Live