Artificial pancreas uses your phone to counter diabetes

captain_to_fire
7 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

5G I think has a big focus for IoT devices and connected medical equipment by using millimeter waves 30 to 300 GHz. Those frequencies are never been used before until now as the current spectrum used by phones are becoming congested now.

The problem I see is that as they move more and more devices to 5G those bands will become just as congested as current ones and will actually free up a large amount of the bands in the VHF spectrum. Also those lower frequency spectrum's don't require quite the power that the millimeter width bands require to actually transmit a decent signal.

16 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

IoT isn't a good application for millimeter wave networks. Higher bandwidth and more signal processing means higher power consumption. That's the whole reason why Wifi HaLow is a thing, you want lower frequency, not higher, for IoT.

Wearables and other connected wearables may be a good fit with 5G, but you definitely don't want a medical wearable with a tiny battery to kill itself transmitting at insanely high amounts of power. There's a reason Bluetooth hasn't ever expanded into 5GHz, except when using existing WiFi connections as a carrier signal (Bluetooth 3.0+HS).

P.S. you say never used before, but WiGig uses 60Ghz.

It's not set aside for just medical use, but why would you? There are a ton of other emerging markets that could desperately use this spectrum. If anything we should be increasing the amount of unregulated spectrum for industry driven technologies like WiFi, LTE-U, Z-wave/zigbee, Weave, and Bluetooth.

I'm not saying to set aside a whole spectrum just a band or set of bands within the spectrum. The reason being congestion and interference. The more distance between set frequencies the less likelihood of interference. Its similar to Military having different bands and spectrum's set aside for those specific purposes. It a safety precaution.

Wish it could have saved my mom from stage 4 Pancreatic cancer.

Fuck cancer in every way possible, and every way not possible.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

8 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

Now to wait for the right kind of internet-connected life-support device so that I could kill someone to/with Turn Down For What

if you count suicide pretty sure that song has already killed people. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Need something to counter hypoglycemia. =/

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Need something to counter hypoglycemia. =/

Just have to intake more simple carbs. Getting that is easy thankfully however an underproduction of insulin isn't as easy to address.

You may have meant more along the lines of a permanent solution in which case they do have direct injections for blood glucose levels, Glucogon being the first one off the top of my head.

4 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Just have to intake more simple carbs. Getting that is easy thankfully however an underproduction of insulin isn't as easy to address.

You may have meant more along the lines of a permanent solution in which case they do have direct injections for blood glucose levels.

Yeah kinda sucks, it messes you up as a whole, even after I ate, glucose levels are still kinda low. Makes me feel forced to eat sweets all the time, but that's not really healthy.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah kinda sucks, it messes you up as a whole, even after I ate, glucose levels are still kinda low. Makes me feel forced to eat sweets all the time, but that's not really healthy.

I understand that. I have to eat things high in complex carbs and fat. Plus high in sodium. I'm supposed to eat ~7000calories a day and junk food gets old. Don't forget if you have a deficit of something in your body (your case being blood glucose) then as long as you only take in enough stabalize to a normal level it's not unhealthy.

2 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I understand that. I have to eat things high in complex carbs and fat. Plus high in sodium. I'm supposed to eat ~7000calories a day and junk food gets old. Don't forget if you have a deficit of something in your body (your case being blood glucose) then as long as you only take in enough stabalize to a normal level it's not unhealthy.

Yeah, definitely need to eat a huge amount of calories indeed just to keep it up of how much body needs and burns.

Just now, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah, definitely need to eat a huge amount of calories indeed just to keep it up of how much body needs and burns.

Well in my case it's because I don't produce sufficient amounts of enzyme to break down complex carbs entirely so any fat-soluble vitamins don't get absorbed either. 

I don't know if you saw my comment about Glucogon or not but you might talk to your doctor and see if it might be an option for you.

6 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Well in my case it's because I don't produce sufficient amounts of enzyme to break down complex carbs entirely so any fat-soluble vitamins don't get absorbed either. 

I don't know if you saw my comment about Glucogon or not but you might talk to your doctor and see if it might be an option for you.

Glucagon? Though yeah, would like to avoid any tpe of injections at all cost completely. Just trying to sort it out through diet over time and all.

24 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Glucagon? Though yeah, would like to avoid any tpe of injections at all cost completely. Just trying to sort it out through diet over time and all.

Diet is definitely preferred. It's just possible it could be an option.

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Diet is definitely preferred. It's just possible it could be an option.

Right... hopefully not haha.