Most straightforward way to ripp Blurays

IAmAndre

Hi,

I want to watch high quality series and movies, and online streaming services are not for me partly because of their geographical limitations. I would like to go back to physical copies, and if possible avoid buying a dedicated Bluray player. I considered buying one a few months ago, then I realized that I'd much rather watch series when I'm on the go, without internet, and watch YouTube at home.

I can see that I can buy an external/internal optical drive for my PC then rip the Blurays using some appropriate software, but is it the only way to do it? I'm really looking for something that's as convenient and practical as possible. Are there are devices able to clone drives/DVD's so is there an equivalent for Bluray movies? The goal is to have high quality files of decent sizes that I could store on my phone/tablet.

Ideally, I wish there was an online store selling digital copies of movies/series with no geographical limitations, which I haven't been able to find so far.

Thanks

Buy MakeMKV and use it to rip the movie. Since you need to decrypt you need to do that step first.

Then use Handbrake with a profile for your phone to create the smaller file, since MakeMKV will rip the stream 1:1

Its just 2 steps this way and have not found an easier way.

4 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Buy MakeMKV and use it to rip the movie. Since you need to decrypt you need to do that step first.

Then use Handbrake with a profile for your phone to create the smaller file, since MakeMKV will rip the stream 1:1

You can also use AnyDVDHD but it's more expensive.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Do I need a specific type of optical drive that's compatible with Blurays, or would any DVD player would do the trick?

Just now, IAmAndre said:

Do I need a specific type of optical drive that's compatible with Blurays, or would any DVD player would do the trick?

You need a drive that can read Blu-ray discs.

You don't need a BD writer, to my knowledge, though.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

You need a drive that can read Blu-ray discs.

You don't need a BD writer, to my knowledge, though.

Any recommendation?

7 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You can also use AnyDVDHD but it's more expensive.

Isnt just to rip?

19 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Internal it is then :D

LG for 60 Euros

Thanks. I also considered buying a laptop with an integrated Blu-ray player, but it seems like only high-end models offer this feature.

29 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Isnt just to rip?

It removes the DRM from the disc, from there you can do whatever you want with it - rip it, convert it, clone it.

If you just want a one click solution that will give you a video file MakeMKV is as close as you can get though (and yes, you do need a blu ray reader regardless).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

*snip

Ah, i misunderstood your post. I thought you meant that AnyDVDHD did the ripping and encodes it in a smaller file :D 

But its the same as MakeMKV :( 

20 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Ah, i misunderstood your post. I thought you meant that AnyDVDHD did the ripping and encodes it in a smaller file :D 

But its the same as MakeMKV :( 

To be honest it's still pretty easy to do with makemkv, you just need another converter to make it smaller (many free converters do it in very few clicks).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

MakeMKV in action.  I use to to remux my blurays which then just collect dust on a shelf.

IMG_20171010_192646.jpg

IMG_20171010_200343.jpg

IMG_20171010_193228.jpg

I guess you can then sell them. Is ripping Blurays 100% legal though?

9 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I guess you can then sell them. Is ripping Blurays 100% legal though?

Why would I sell them? If I just wanted files I'd download them.  I bought them to own then, even if I won't play them.  I also have a classic 'Big Box' copy of Half-Life on a shelf even if it's CD and key is of no use to me.  Sometimes it's just nice to collect and own.

From a legal perspective, in Canada, I'm technically violating copyright law.  While I can legally 'format shift', bypassing encryption to do so is still a copyright violation. (So ripping a non-encrypted disc you own would not be a copyright violation in Canada) Considering the physical media is sitting under my own television, I really don't care.

10 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

MakeMKV in action.  I use to to remux my blurays which then just collect dust on a shelf.

IMG_20171010_192646.jpg

IMG_20171010_200343.jpg

IMG_20171010_193228.jpg

Dedicated about 9 days in ripping and encoding my Cardcaptor Sakura collection a few years ago. This was when I was using a laptop for my primary system.

I just ripped a blu ray (external drive) to an external HDD, and let that run a couple hours before bed. Then before I left for work in the morning, I ran the encode. Pretty much just set a bit rate, and cranked up the quality settings to abuse the 12 or so hours I'll be gone.

I wouldn't do an overnight encode however. That laptop was an especially loud and bright octopus, what with everything I had connected to it too.

So glad I built the desktop...

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

-snip-

I was thinking of getting PavTube ByteCopy or would you say to get makeMKV instead?

Yeah, I bought Kimi no Na wa (collector set) and I'm sad that I have to rip it just to be able to play it (I can't touch the UHD disc at all...darn DRM).

I started to go on the path of buying anime I like now (Better financial position to do so now). Just dealing with bluray DRM (Mostly UHD) is a pain...I thought buying the media would make it easier.

Also, I hope to get ReLife as well.

3 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Yeah, I bought Kimi no Na wa (collector set) and I'm sad that I have to rip it just to be able to play it (I can't touch the UHD disc at all...darn DRM)

You aren't missing anything with the Your Name UHD disc.  It's been confirmed that a 2K version at Rec709 was delivered for authoring the UHD disc.  It's an upscale and the source material is SDR.  Might as well get the BD.  I think the only CONFIRMED 4K anime (As in not upscaled) at this time Gundam Thunderbolt.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

You aren't missing anything with the Your Name UHD disc.  It's been confirmed that a 2K version at Rec709 was delivered for authoring the UHD disc.  It's an upscale and the source material is SDR.  Might as well get the BD.  I think the only CONFIRMED 4K anime (As in not upscaled) at this time Gundam Thunderbolt.

and I'm sad now. I was hoping it was a 10bit Rec2020 copy.

Well, I already own the set. haha.

9 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Dedicated about 9 days in ripping and encoding my Cardcaptor Sakura collection a few years ago. This was when I was using a laptop for my primary system.

I just ripped a blu ray (external drive) to an external HDD, and let that run a couple hours before bed. Then before I left for work in the morning, I ran the encode. Pretty much just set a bit rate, and cranked up the quality settings to abuse the 12 or so hours I'll be gone.

No reencoding here.  Straight Remuxing.  5GB/episode.  :)

7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

No reencoding here.  Straight Remuxing.  5GB/episode.  :)

Unfortunately, I don't have a Petabyte server of my own. Just a pair of mirrored 2TB HDDs (one in a fireproof safe). :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

This thread takes me back. I used to make BD rips with MakeMKV and Handbrake. But streaming/download services are available to me so I haven't done it in a long time. Sounds like that solution has survived all these years :)

I'm curious how long I can encode a rip now that I have Ryzen 1700. There's some BDs I don't have a digital copy for.

11 hours ago, ono said:

This thread takes me back. I used to make BD rips with MakeMKV and Handbrake. But streaming/download services are available to me so I haven't done it in a long time. Sounds like that solution has survived all these years :)

I'm curious how long I can encode a rip now that I have Ryzen 1700. There's some BDs I don't have a digital copy for.

Why stream when I can maintain a 40tb media server on my LAN?  :D