Multiple Networks

DasVON

1/. Primary 1GBe network is in the 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.256 range with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1 and

I am setting up a second  10GBe network using ASUS 10GBe Areion NICs with a Netgear Prosafe 10GBe XS708Ev2 Managed Switch.

2/. Secondary 10GBe network is in the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.256 range with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a NO gateway ( LAN Only for file transfers )

I can ping all of these 

Switch: 10GBe IP Address - 192.168.0.239 ( Running in DHCP )

PC 1: 10GBe IP Address - 192.168.0.210   ASUS 10GBe Areion NIC

PC 2: 10GBe IP Address - 192.168.0.70    ASUS 10GBe Areion NIC

NAS: 10GBe IP Address - 192.168.0.60  (Synology 814+ with 4 x 1GB ports ) I bonded 3 ports for a 3GBe connection

I cannot seem to work out how to setup shares on  PC1 , PC2  &  NAS

hope you can understand all this I am a Noob at networking

Any Help or Idea's would be greatly Appreciated

DasVON

DownUnder in Australia 

now is this for home use or professional use, Seems like a a lot of work for a home network

And with the computers and networks being different Subnets they wont chat on lan, The Easy way is to setup a domain and link it to the outside ip and open up ports and then point the software to the domain with a login and pass.

Or just put the pcs on the same subnet and use the mac address's as the firewall sittings to who is and whos not aloud to access the pcs 

22 hours ago, DasVON said:

1/. Primary 1GBe network is in the 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.256 range with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1 and

I am setting up a second  10GBe network using ASUS 10GBe Areion NICs with a Netgear Prosafe 10GBe XS708Ev2 Managed Switch.

2/. Secondary 10GBe network is in the 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.256 range with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 and a NO gateway ( LAN Only for file transfers )

I can ping all of these 

Switch: 10GBe IP Address - 192.168.0.239 ( Running in DHCP )

PC 1: 10GBe IP Address - 192.168.0.210   ASUS 10GBe Areion NIC

PC 2: 10GBe IP Address - 192.168.0.70    ASUS 10GBe Areion NIC

NAS: 10GBe IP Address - 192.168.0.60  (Synology 814+ with 4 x 1GB ports ) I bonded 3 ports for a 3GBe connection

I cannot seem to work out how to setup shares on  PC1 , PC2  &  NAS

hope you can understand all this I am a Noob at networking

Any Help or Idea's would be greatly Appreciated

DasVON

DownUnder in Australia 

set switch to have 255 255 255 248 for subnet with subnet of 255 255 255 252 on each end line device (nas and pc's)

this give switch free subnet bits to use

also try 

cmd prompt

netsh

dnsclients set dnsclients register=both

type /? under any netsh cmds to get help

netsh operates like an old dos program?

setting to both allows linklocals be handled by your dhcp if you have router as dns

Edited by bcguru9384
additional cmd

set firewall rules to pass traffic from one subnet to another 

Just setup the shares normally, there is nothing special you have to do. When you go to map the shares make sure you use the correct IP address i.e. not the computer name or 1Gb IP.

Also if the 10Gb network is isolated make sure you do not set a gateway, computers should only have 1 default gateway.

If you can ping every device then the network side is setup.

7 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

set switch to have 255 255 255 248 for subnet with subnet of 255 255 255 252 on each end line device (nas and pc's)

this give switch free subnet bits to use

No need to do that, that is for routed ports so point-to-point subneting isn't required. This switch doesn't support L3 routing anyway it's just a basic switch and operates no differently to a normal home switch/router combo unit.

13 hours ago, leadeater said:

No need to do that, that is for routed ports so point-to-point subneting isn't required. This switch doesn't support L3 routing anyway it's just a basic switch and operates no differently to a normal home switch/router combo unit.

with advent of subnetting one can no longer rely on ipaddress to id network(microsoft technet)

rfc950

you need some subnet bits as these are used to key in resources for "sharing"

if subnet is 255 255 255 0 then 254 hosts on 1 subnet with 24 maskbits and 0 subnetbits thus each device is end of line network(last house on deadendstreet)

if 255 255 255 252 then 2 hosts and 64 subnets 30 maskbits with 6 subnet bits

with 6 bbits you have 5 sharing with your regular network(i think this way sharing=server is a device that has >1user)

network with

nas

pc

pc

cabledvr

pc or router be network extender means 5 more shares if extender has 252 too

4 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

with advent of subnetting one can no longer rely on ipaddress to id network(microsoft technet)

rfc950

you need some subnet bits as these are used to key in resources for "sharing"

if subnet is 255 255 255 0 then 254 hosts on 1 subnet with 24 maskbits and 0 subnetbits thus each device is end of line network(last house on deadendstreet)

if 255 255 255 252 then 2 hosts and 64 subnets 30 maskbits with 6 subnet bits

with 6 bbits you have 5 sharing with your regular network(i think this way sharing=server is a device that has >1user)

network with

nas

pc

pc

cabledvr

pc or router be network extender means 5 more shares if extender has 252 too

All devices on the 10Gb network are on the same subnet and have the correct subnet mask configured based on the information provided. Every device on the 10Gb network needs an IP in the 192.168.0.x/24 range and must use the subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

I don't think you quite understand the actual question being asked which has got you a bit confused. What's being asked is how to setup the network shares (SMB/SAMBA) on the NAS so the PCs access it over the 10Gb network but the PCs still have access to the 1Gb network for internet etc. I actually run this type of configuration at home myself.

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

All devices on the 10Gb network are on the same subnet and have the correct subnet mask configured based on the information provided. Every device on the 10Gb network needs an IP in the 192.168.0.x/24 range and must use the subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

I don't think you quite understand the actual question being asked which has got you a bit confused. What's being asked is how to setup the network shares (SMB/SAMBA) on the NAS so the PCs access it over the 10Gb network but the PCs still have access to the 1Gb network for internet etc. I actually run this type of configuration at home myself.

type subnet mask into bing

read the technet article

subnet bits help in networkid

36 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

type subnet mask into bing

read the technet article

subnet bits help in networkid

I am Cisco trained so I know how they work, no bing/google required.

Edit:

I think you also missed the key part about me actually having this setup at home, using dual SFP+ DAC between my server and desktop. I'm not guessing how to set this up I have it. Not to mention that this is my day job but that is beside the point.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I am Cisco trained so I know how they work, no bing/google required.

Edit:

I think you also missed the key part about me actually having this setup at home, using dual SFP+ DAC between my server and desktop. I'm not guessing how to set this up I have it. Not to mention that this is my day job but that is beside the point.

very nice for you

im showing path of basics to help teach 

get the 2 pc talk for sure and understanding of why they use the different protocols and directives to do the tasks needed

subnet bits give proverbial channels to call if 6 bits then 6 chans vs 0bits or just look everywhere

organized or sloppy

its your network you use it your way

never forget the basics

their reliable

18 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

very nice for you

im showing path of basics to help teach 

get the 2 pc talk for sure and understanding of why they use the different protocols and directives to do the tasks needed

subnet bits give proverbial channels to call if 6 bits then 6 chans vs 0bits or just look everywhere

organized or sloppy

its your network you use it your way

never forget the basics

their reliable

But what you are saying isn't related to the question being asked, OP has the network setup and has confirmed it is working and is able to communicate to the devices over the network. The question is how to setup network shares on the NAS and connect to them using the PCs over the dedicated 10Gb network. This has nothing to do with subnet masks, network shares means SMB or NFS.

Talking about subnet masks like they are network shares is also very odd and not something that is done, also referring to them as channels is also extremely odd. The common way to refer to them is network segments or broadcast domains, however broadcast domains is not quite correct either since VLANs can break those up as well.

G'Day ,

I am trying to do this for surveillance backups ( I have 13 IP Camera's taking snaps every 30 secs & Movement Vids when movement is detected ) anyways thats why I want a

10GBe LAN (File Transfer Connection ) so there are no slow downs on my primary 1GBe Connection.

gJgd2up.jpg

hope this makes sense its my 1st network diagram ..

* PC1 can ping PC2 & NAS using the 10GBe  IPs  

* PC2 can ping PC1 & NAS using the 10GBe  IPs  

Just cannot get folder or drive shares to work  ( Windows 7 was easier to share ) using the 10GBe NICS

thanks

1 hour ago, DasVON said:

* PC1 can ping PC2 & NAS using the 10GBe  IPs  

* PC2 can ping PC1 & NAS using the 10GBe  IPs  

Just cannot get folder or drive shares to work  ( Windows 7 was easier to share ) using the 10GBe NICS

What is the UNC path that you are using to access the shares? \\192.168.0.60\[sharename]

The shares are setup on the Synology NAS?

Can you connect to the shares on the 1Gb network? (192.168.1.x/24)

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

What is the UNC path that you are using to access the shares? \\192.168.0.60\[sharename]

I use          \\192.168.1.61\Applications\All Files   =   1GBe Connection 

\\192.168.0.60\Applications\All Files   =   3GBe Bonded Synology Connection 

both work from PC1 & PC2 . 

The ASUS card does 10GB, 5.0GB, 2.5GB, 1.0GB & 500mb, so I was thinking I could transfer to NAS at 2.5GB from both PC1 & PC2 but also

be able to transfer at 10GB from PC1 to PC2 or PC2 to PC1 using the 10GBe NIC as stated it's a LAN connection there is not a connection setup to access 

the internet on the 10GBe setup

19 minutes ago, DasVON said:

I use          \\192.168.1.61\Applications\All Files   =   1GBe Connection 

\\192.168.0.60\Applications\All Files   =   3GBe Bonded Synology Connection 

both work from PC1 & PC2 . 

The ASUS card does 10GB, 5.0GB, 2.5GB, 1.0GB & 500mb, so I was thinking I could transfer to NAS at 2.5GB from both PC1 & PC2 but also

be able to transfer at 10GB from PC1 to PC2 or PC2 to PC1 using the 10GBe NIC as stated it's a LAN connection there is not a connection setup to access 

the internet on the 10GBe setup

Right thanks for that. So the only current issue is connecting to shares from PC to PC then?

You'll need to configure Windows Firewall to allow File and Printer Sharing, easiest way I find to do this is using Windows Firewall with Advanced Security and enabling the predefined rule for it.

XUn9jZ.jpg

You should also use PowerShell to set the 10Gb interface metric lower than the 1Gb connection so it defaults to using this when talking PC to PC.

Set-NetIPInterface -InterfaceAlias Ethernet -AddressFamily IPv4 -InterfaceMetric 5

Example above, replace interface Alias with your 10Gb one.

However I will have to add that you might not actually be able to get more than 1Gb per device share access speeds to the Synology because of the way Teaming/Bonding/LAG works. The best chance you'll be able to exceed 1Gb is by setting the Bond mode on the Synology to balance-alb if it supports it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_aggregation

Standard teaming works on creating a hash pair based on MAC Address or IP Address of the end points and uses that to place it on a single path, this means when you have many devices and therefore many different hashes you get good utilization across each path in the Team/Bond/LAG and the best example of that is between switches as its based on the client endpoints not the interfaces between the switches.

Help...

I tried something at 4am ( half asleep .. bad Idea :o  but now I can only get this

PC1 can ping PC2  using the 10GBe  IPs  

PC2 can ping PC1  using the 10GBe  IPs  

I cannot ping the NAS with PC1 or PC2 using the 10GBe  IPs

Songs-About-Going-Crazy-630x420.jpg?w=98

@DasVON What did you change? Did you make any changes to the IP Addrsses/subnet masks on the PCs/NAS or NIC Teaming/Bonding on the NAS?

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

What did you change?

Not Sure what I did as I was half asleep O.o

10.GBe IP                  1.GBe

PC-1        192.168.0.210            192.168.1.5             IP
                 255.255.255.0            255.255.255.0        Subnet
                 No Gateway              192.168.1.1             Gateway

PC-2        192.168.0.70              192.168.1.8            IP
                255.255.255.0            255.255.255.0        Subnet
                No Gateway               192.168.1.1            Gateway

NAS        192.168.0.219             192.168.1.61           IP
                255.255.255.0            255.255.255.0         Subnet
                No Gateway               192.168.1.1             Gateway

Switch    192.168.0.239             ----------------             IP
               255.255.255.0             ----------------            Subnet
               192.168.0.254             ----------------            Gateway

PC1 & PC2 can see each other and themselves but cannot see the NAS on the 192.168.0.219  IP

0vMTBcr.jpg

as you can see the program called I.P.Scanner can see PC1 , PC2 , NAS & Switch

Not Sure WTF! is going on....

any help will be appreciated

DasVON  

Update:  I changed the IP addresses on the 3 LAN ports and now

image.thumb.png.e6c5630066c12676ce47c74e9d97d14e.png

now I can see the NAS again just need to get the shares working

On 10/16/2017 at 9:59 PM, leadeater said:

But what you are saying isn't related to the question being asked, OP has the network setup and has confirmed it is working and is able to communicate to the devices over the network. The question is how to setup network shares on the NAS and connect to them using the PCs over the dedicated 10Gb network. This has nothing to do with subnet masks, network shares means SMB or NFS.

Talking about subnet masks like they are network shares is also very odd and not something that is done, also referring to them as channels is also extremely odd. The common way to refer to them is network segments or broadcast domains, however broadcast domains is not quite correct either since VLANs can break those up as well.

This is the same guy who thinks TCP is a "triple redundant address protocol" and that MAC addresses traverse and can identify you on the internet. You'd be better off using a paper towel to empty a sinking ship than trying to talk to him about networking :( 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 hours ago, DasVON said:

Update:  I changed the IP addresses on the 3 LAN ports and now

now I can see the NAS again just need to get the shares working

Sounds like you may have changed the Bonding settings on the switch for the NAS or on the NAS itself, I'd leave that for now since you can at least talk to it.

Refer to my earlier post about setting up the Windows Firewall to allow other devices to connect to it's network shares, once you've done that go to the folder you want to share and right click it then select properties then go to advanced sharing options and share the folder. You should then be able to map the share using that PC's IP address and that share name just like you can for the Synology NAS.

If you can ping something then the network side is setup and working so it won't be that, it's usually firewall that stops stuff like this assuming the share has been setup.

This is not meant to be a smart ass comment so please don't take it that way, but to anyone in the future that reads this for troubleshooting.

If you do not have the ability to create configuration backups, snap shots, etc make sure you isolate your changes gradually. If your playing around, make ONE change at a time and document it, on paper. This may seem like it takes time, but it can save you hours or days of back tracking. It also allows you to create a training binder of what things do.

5 hours ago, JusticeBeaver said:

This is not meant to be a smart ass comment so please don't take it that way, but to anyone in the future that reads this for troubleshooting.

If you do not have the ability to create configuration backups, snap shots, etc make sure you isolate your changes gradually. If your playing around, make ONE change at a time and document it, on paper. This may seem like it takes time, but it can save you hours or days of back tracking. It also allows you to create a training binder of what things do.

nah, just start typing random commands into the console, eventually you will get the right one, and in the right order.