I'm a complete idiot

Acorn Eye

Is it worth the effort + money to buy new glass parts and/or adhesive or is the fact the shell isn't secured to the phone besides some eroded adhesive on the display good enough?

20171015_152936.jpg

Part of the story is missing here.

I'm assuming you tried to swap the display, and forgot or messed up the adhesive?

If so, I'd suggest redoing the adhesive to make sure the phone doesn't fall apart.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

5 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I'm assuming you tried to swap the display, and forgot or messed up the adhesive?

If so, I'd suggest redoing the adhesive to make sure the phone doesn't fall apart.

screws behind the phone would imply that he missed secureing something, and id say you should probably put those back in if you ever plan to shake your phone, or even have it in your pants, to make sure the internals stay where they should be

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

@Acorn Eye

Agreed - can you elaborate on what you were doing? A picture and a few words really doesn't cut it here.

I would personally never let my phone be held together without the proper screws and/or adhesive. You're literally asking for trouble.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

No I replaced the back camera, it requires me to remove the motherboard.

The issue is that I placed the replacement back glass and plastic and forgot to screw in the housing screws that secure the housing to the rest of the phone. The exterior screws.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

screws behind the phone would imply that he missed secureing something, and id say you should probably put those back in if you ever plan to shake your phone, or even have it in your pants, to make sure the internals stay where they should be

The parts are secured to the display im pretty sure. The housing is only secured by the adhesive of the display and not the screws that are supposed to help it secure it.

Just now, Acorn Eye said:

The parts are secured to the display im pretty sure. The housing is only secured by the adhesive of the display and not the screws that are supposed to help it secure it.

id probably fix that to be honest

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Acorn Eye said:

No I replaced the back camera, it requires me to remove the motherboard.

The issue is that I placed the replacement back glass and plastic and forgot to screw in the housing screws that secure the housing to the rest of the phone. The exterior screws.

Immediately disassemble, and re-assemble properly with all screws.

Seriously, this is a multi-hundred dollar device that you use literally every day. Why take the risk? Seems silly and irresponsible to me.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The left circled part is where the housing secures to the mobo, right side to the charging part.

2 on the right and 2 the left secure to the corners of the display

Capture+_2017-10-15-15-47-32.png

2 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Immediately disassemble, and re-assemble properly with all screws.

Seriously, this is a multi-hundred dollar device that you use literally every day. Why take the risk? Seems silly and irresponsible to me.

Its about $150 by now I'm pretty sure, and I'm using a V30 instead. This is really a backup phone for when grandparents come over or over circumstances.

3 minutes ago, Acorn Eye said:

Its about $150 by now I'm pretty sure, and I'm using a V30 instead. This is really a backup phone for when grandparents come over or over circumstances.

Well, you seem to really not want to fix it.

That's up to you. But personally, I can't believe you haven't already just fixed it by now. I mean, by the time it took you to make this post, and wait for replies, you could have already fixed it.

Just seems stupid to risk the phone - even if it's only worth $150.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Well, you seem to really not want to fix it.

That's up to you. But personally, I can't believe you haven't already just fixed it by now. I mean, by the time it took you to make this post, and wait for replies, you could have already fixed it.

Just seems stupid to risk the phone - even if it's only worth $150.

I already fixed the phone, replaced the camera and the bent old housing.

The issue with trying to fix the missing screws issue is that I don't have adhesive for the glass/plastic; and I can't just slap them back on without adhesive.

1 minute ago, Acorn Eye said:

I already fixed the phone, replaced the camera and the bent old housing.

The issue with trying to fix the missing screws issue is that I don't have adhesive for the glass/plastic; and I can't just slap them back on without adhesive.

I seem to be confused as to what actually the problem is.

Why is it, exactly, that you cannot install the screws without the adhesive?

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I seem to be confused as to what actually the problem is.

Why is it, exactly, that you cannot install the screws without the adhesive?

I can install the screws just fine after removing the glass and plastic parts on the back. However; the adhesive on the glass is so strong that you can only remove it with a heat gun, destroying the adhesive. I don't have replacement parts or adhesive on me.

2 minutes ago, Acorn Eye said:

I can install the screws just fine after removing the glass and plastic parts on the back. However; the adhesive on the glass is so strong that you can only remove it with a heat gun, destroying the adhesive. I don't have replacement parts or adhesive on me.

So what you are saying is that you cannot re-install the screws unless you remove the adhesive?

How did you remove the screws to begin with?

Anyway, if you need to buy replacement adhesive strips/pads/whatever to do the job properly? Well I would personally go out and buy the needed adhesive. You can probably get it fairly cheap through Amazon/eBay/iFixit, etc.

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

So what you are saying is that you cannot re-install the screws unless you remove the adhesive?

How did you remove the screws to begin with?

Anyway, if you need to buy replacement adhesive strips/pads/whatever to do the job properly? Well I would personally go out and buy the needed adhesive. You can probably get it fairly cheap through Amazon/eBay/iFixit, etc.

I bought a replacement housing that came with the plastic and glass parts. After I finished repairing what I had to, I starting putting the replacement housing back on. I forgot to screw in the housing screws and instead immediately placed the glass and plastic parts with preapplied adhesive that go over where the screws go.

I managed to remove the plastic piece since its adhesive is possible to remove without a heat gun and therefore its somewhat intact. So now its only missing 2 screws; 2 at the very top where the glass piece is. Those two screw into the display. 1 of which goes through the motherboard.

9 minutes ago, Acorn Eye said:

I bought a replacement housing that came with the plastic and glass parts. After I finished repairing what I had to, I starting putting the replacement housing back on. I forgot to screw in the housing screws and instead immediately placed the glass and plastic parts with preapplied adhesive that go over where the screws go.

I managed to remove the plastic piece since its adhesive is possible to remove without a heat gun and therefore its somewhat intact. So now its only missing 2 screws; 2 at the very top where the glass piece is. Those two screw into the display. 1 of which goes through the motherboard.

Oh okay I see. That definitely clarifies your situation - thank you :)

Well, I would personally fix the mistake you made, remove the pieces, install the correct screws, and reapply new adhesive.

I wouldn't risk my device over a mistake like that.

Please don't take offence, but I suggest you use this as an educational experience and learn from your mistake :)