Looking for a good audio setup

I'm looking to upgrade my audio set up for my channel because I don't like the mic hiss in my videos

So I'm looking to buy a good audio recorder and a good microphone

Indoor or out door

Current System: Tower: 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD, Quad Core i5(haswell), RX480, 128GB SSD

Future Systems: ? When I get a job I will think about it more

A simple setup could be something like a Rode SmartLav and a phone, or a SmartLav and a TRS adapter (Rode makes one for the SmartLav) and the H1.  Just put the phone or H1 in your pocket, mic clipped to your shirt and record audio.  Might want to use a headphone to do a sound check to adjust the gain/sensitivity before actual recording.

Then sync in post.

If you want to use shotguns, handheld mics, etc. using something like a H4, H5 or H6 from Zoom is a good idea as XLR inputs for mics tend to be better than line inputs.  A good shotgun mic is a Rode NTG2, a good handheld is a Rode Reporter.  You may want to avoid getting something like a Shure SM58 because it needs to be close to your mouth to have a good sound pickup.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

ok, I want to use a mic which doesn't require an extra person so a shotgun mic wouldn't suit me. Also, I would rather use a specific audio recorder because if I'm recording outside I'm going to record for a while, and I would need my phone but my phone's battery goes down pretty fast so I would really rather have some separate, good, pretty portable recorder.

7 hours ago, creepyface said:

ok, I want to use a mic which doesn't require an extra person so a shotgun mic wouldn't suit me. Also, I would rather use a specific audio recorder because if I'm recording outside I'm going to record for a while, and I would need my phone but my phone's battery goes down pretty fast so I would really rather have some separate, good, pretty portable recorder.

You can have a shotgun mounted on camera or on a stand, no need for a second operator (unless you need a boom).  But you can clip a lav type mic with a TRS jack (Rode SmartLav with TRS adapter) to something like a Zoom H1.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

ok but whats the difference between zoom h1 or zoom h4n pro?

10 hours ago, creepyface said:

ok but whats the difference between zoom h1 or zoom h4n pro?

XLR inputs, multitrack recording, different types of mics, better preamps.

H4n Pro

2 hours ago, creepyface said:

what do you think about the h6?

It’s a good recorder

For what you are doing I don’t think you need more than a H1 or H4n.  Or a Tascam DR100, or a DR600/700 something, because I don’t remember all the model numbers.  Go look on their websites.

While a H5, H6, F4, F8 are in their own ways good and in some areas better, you won’t be fully using what they can do.

Both Tascam and Zoom have pretty good products and I’ve used various recorders from both.

If you want to avoid hissing and noise in your audio recordings, get a good headphone to monitor and adjust the audio levels and gain and make sure your peaks are no higher than around -10db.  A H4n or DR100 has all this info on the recorder’s lcd screen.