Nikon D5300 Mic Hiss

Go to solution Solved by Rassuke,

The problem is the camera's internal AMP. If you want to get clean(ish) audio right out of the camera then you need to get a mic with it's own AMP and dial the camera's mic level down to a low level. Other option is that you can get rid of the hizz in Premire Pro with the DeNioser or DeHizzer (I don't remember which) tool.

Hello I have the Nikon D5300 camera and I have an external mic but I always have mic hiss or static noise does anyone have any suggestions what the problem could be.

My mic is shenggu sg-108

if it has a replaceable cable then i would try and replace that or just try and twist if a bit but if you still have a warranty i would just send it back and get a new one

The problem is the camera's internal AMP. If you want to get clean(ish) audio right out of the camera then you need to get a mic with it's own AMP and dial the camera's mic level down to a low level. Other option is that you can get rid of the hizz in Premire Pro with the DeNioser or DeHizzer (I don't remember which) tool.

Also, the Mic you have is kinda cheap one so you can't really expect perfect sound from it. But yea, the biggest problem is the camera's amp and that's the same with all DSLR's.

does the nikon have a 3.5 mm mic jack??

Im a Aussie gamer on half decent hardware......
desktop

i7 7700k 4.8ghz Msi ProCarbon Z270 gtx 1080 250gb samsung 850 evo 16gb ddr4 3000mhz ram 2tb wd black 1tb wd green

laptop:
Msi gs40
i7 6700hq 16gb ddr4 gtx 970m 128gb ssd 1tb ssd

Just now, Rassuke said:

Also, the Mic you have is kinda cheap one so you can't really expect perfect sound from it. But yea, the biggest problem is the camera's amp and that's the same with all DSLR's.

so your saying to fix the problem I need to lower the mic sensitivity option which is on the camera?

1 minute ago, coollance2015 said:

does the nikon have a 3.5 mm mic jack??

yes

Rode SmartLav+ Omni-directional Lapel Mic use this mic its good i use to use it for mountain biking and youtube talking but now i got a rode nt usb, i highly recommend it

Im a Aussie gamer on half decent hardware......
desktop

i7 7700k 4.8ghz Msi ProCarbon Z270 gtx 1080 250gb samsung 850 evo 16gb ddr4 3000mhz ram 2tb wd black 1tb wd green

laptop:
Msi gs40
i7 6700hq 16gb ddr4 gtx 970m 128gb ssd 1tb ssd

Just now, creepyface said:

so your saying to fix the problem I need to lower the mic sensitivity option which is on the camera?

Yea, but you can't get rid of the hizz all together with that, you still need to do some minor sound editing in post but it's really easy to do and there are many tutorials on that on Youtube. The best way to get clean audio for your videos is to have an external recorder and then sync the audio in post with video.

Just now, Rassuke said:

Yea, but you can't get rid of the hizz all together with that, you still need to do some minor sound editing in post but it's really easy to do and there are many tutorials on that on Youtube. The best way to get clean audio for your videos is to have an external recorder and then sync the audio in post with video.

I actualy tried having an external recorder pluged into the mic but there still was hissing

So what mics would have the amp?

I am planning to buy a good camera mic eventually I was thinking to buy the rode pro

I actualy tried having an external recorder pluged into the mic but there still was hissing

What kind of recorder was it? I would reocomend looking into Rode mics and reocrders.

so is the amp like the amplification which makes the audio louder but some are cheap quality and others are not?

Yes.

For a good setup I would see something like a Rode Zoom H4N and then a Rode or Sennheiser mic plugged into that. Then just sync the audio later in post.

ok so the hissing problem is the camera and there would be hissing with any mic because the amp is bad is that correct?

ok so the hissing problem is the camera and there would be hissing with any mic because the amp is bad is that correct?

Yeap. There might be a little less hizz with a good mic but it will still be there.

I used to try to use audition and remove the noise as background noise but it never worked

1 minute ago, creepyface said:

but are there cameras with good amps?

I haven't come a cross any in DSLR's. Yea, some are better than others but it still makes more sense to record audio externally than in camera.

ok and does the h4n have a good amp?

Yea

ok and would that be the best price and performance audio recorder?