Timeline performance isn't great 4k

Go to solution Solved by Mihle,
13 hours ago, RainColt said:

This thing?59e523052b3ce_2017-10-1615_21_38-UntitledProject.png.664339c35c935427523eaf774774fd92.png

No, in the media pool, right click on the files and click "Generate Optimized Media"

It will make file size bigger, just remember that.

Specs

R7 1700x

8gb ddr4 ram (8gb system reserved)

512 gb Crucial mx300 ssd

Gtx770

Sony A6500 avchd 4k

I'm currently using davinci resolve and hit film, both have horrible timeline scrubbing (playback is acceptable) I'm wondering if faster storage M.2 would help with timeline scrubbing or would a different editing software work better, or do I need more ram?

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

2 hours ago, RainColt said:

Specs

R7 1700x

8gb ddr4 ram (8gb system reserved)

512 gb Crucial mx300 ssd

Gtx770

Sony A6500 avchd 4k

I'm currently using davinci resolve and hit film, both have horrible timeline scrubbing (playback is acceptable) I'm wondering if faster storage M.2 would help with timeline scrubbing or would a different editing software work better, or do I need more ram?

I would suggest two things:

1. Increase your memory, perhaps to 16 or 32 or 64GB.

2. Use separate drives.  First SSD just for OS and applications, secondary SSD or HDD or whatever else storage for project files and resources.

Does the A6500 film in AVCHD 4K?  I thought it was XAVC-S for 4K resolution.  Which uses an interframe compression and can affect the performance of the system.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

3 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I would suggest two things:

1. Increase your memory, perhaps to 16 or 32 or 64GB.

2. Use separate drives.  First SSD just for OS and applications, secondary SSD or HDD or whatever else storage for project files and resources.

Does the A6500 film in AVCHD 4K?  I thought it was XAVC-S for 4K resolution.  Which uses an interframe compression and can affect the performance of the system.

Your right about the format and the OS is on a separate drive. I'll try ordering new ram.

10 hours ago, RainColt said:

Your right about the format and the OS is on a separate drive. I'll try ordering new ram.

If increasing memory doesn't help with the performance, try transcoding the files to a proxy format.  XAVC-S is not easy to work with, I film stuff sometimes using XAVC-L (which is another interframe version of XAVC) on the FS7, preview playback on the timeline is smooth but scrubbing the timeline is not.  XAVC-S and XAVC-L need a bit more processing to be done than if the camera you used supported XAVC-I (Intraframe version of XAVC).

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

21 hours ago, RainColt said:

I'm currently using davinci resolve 

Try the optimized media feature which is included in Davinci Resolve

5 hours ago, .spider. said:

Try the optimized media feature which is included in Davinci Resolve

This thing?59e523052b3ce_2017-10-1615_21_38-UntitledProject.png.664339c35c935427523eaf774774fd92.png

13 hours ago, RainColt said:

No, in the media pool, right click on the files and click "Generate Optimized Media"

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

6 hours ago, Mihle said:

The codec for the proxy file can be chosen here. 

DNxHR LB will keep the files quite small.

resolve.thumb.PNG.d1ab43324eba69de8b7db48632a81ddb.PNG